Runflat to Cinturato P7 or P-Zero All Season Plus

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to replace the Continental run-flat tires on my BMW with regular all seasons. I don't like the loud bangs when hitting certain bumps and the way the car can wander over undulations in the road, these seem to be characteristics of run-flats.

Other than Michelin, which is rather expensive for my purpose, it seems Pirelli has a couple of the top rated tires for the money. Any input on whether I should go with the Cinturato P7 or the P-Zero All Season Plus? Will one be noticeably more comfortable than the other? Would I still feel a noticeable improvement over the run-flats if I go with the P-Zero All Season Plus (which is in a higher performance category but also cheaper than the Cinturato P7)?

Last edited:
I didn't think Michelin was that much more over Pirelli. Continental and Michelins seem to be the favorites on Mercedes. I got a set of Michelin A/S 3+ at Costco recently. They always seem to have $70 off and it seems every month or so they have a 1 cent installation sale so after the $70 off and 4 cent installation, it's not that bad. You get free rotation and balancing too. Plus they have a 5 year road hazard warranty, tire rack only gives you 2 years.

Most people do seem to hate the ride of a run flat so don't blame you for getting rid of them, but what will you do for a spare?

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
225/45R18 size?

Hopefully you mean the Cinturato P7 All Season Plus and not just the regular Cinturato P7. The former would be my choice since it will be much better in winter weather. The P-Zero is an UHP tire or ultimate high performance all season. So not nearly as good in the winter weather. Below is a write up on each tire.

https://tirereviewsandmore.com/pirelli-cinturato-p7-all-season-plus-reviews/

https://tirereviewsandmore.com/pirelli-p-zero-all-season-plus-reviews/

Yes, I did mean Cinturato All Season Plus, thank you.

In my 25 years of driving the best tire I have ever owned were the Cinturato P7's ASP that I put on my last car a 2012 Audi A6. So I am voting for them!

Thanks for the replies.

Re: a spare, I'm going to take my chances. I've never had an actual blow out and when you hit the right pothole the right way and it sounds like an explosion at the front of the car, it seems like a chance worth taking. I have access to roadside support and typically travel within a
Re: winter performance, it's not super important to me. I have AWD and in NJ we seldom go more than a few hours when roads aren't passable with an all-season tire.

Re: price, I can get the P-Zero AS Plus for $149/ea. at Mavis or $159/ea with a rebate from discounttiredirect.com. The Cinturato P7 AS Plus seems to be coming in around $170+/ea across the board.

I'm not enamored with Continental. We had a defective set on a CR-V we used to have and the run-flats on this BMW, even if they're doing what they should, leave a bad taste in my mouth.

Conties are very good esp the Pure Contact but I prefer the Pirelli's any day.

Conties seem to wear fast and there have been issues with their sidewalls being toast after hitting a pothole or being driven a short distance with a low/flat tire. Black powder inside the tire is present which means time to replace.

I agree that Continental tires have awful sidewalls.Have seen many with bubbles separated belts and they seem to be very thin

Don't forget about the Bridgestone Driveguard, a run-flat that's actually supposed to be decent.

But if you're shopping for all-season tires, and can't use separate winter tires, consider something with the 3-peak sign, such as:
Vredestin Quatrac 5
Goodyear Weatherready
Toyo Celsius
Michelin CrossClimate
Nokian WRG3 (will be replaced with the new WRG4 soon)

Ordered the Cinturato P7 All Season Plus from discounttiredirect.com. They price-matched another site so I got the tires for $140/ea and then Pirelli has a $70 rebate from 2/16-3/12. Feels like I got the deal of the century.

The tires will arrive Tuesday, I'll have them mounted by next weekend and report back.

I hope you have better luck than I did with a set of 4 Pirelli P7 A/S I purchased from Tirerack for my Jetta. After three balancing attempts and two with roadforce they still vibrated at road speed. Ultimately, Tirerack was great to deal with and the tires were replaced. Certainly the reviews were excellent so perhaps I just had a bad batch. First balance effort resulted in the following weight being used. Slightly better with roadforce but not great. Switched to Continental PureContact with EcoPlus Technology SL. They are decent tires but not giving me very impressive wear. They will be shot at 55,000 with easy driving on my Jetta TDI

Standard Balance 1st attempt

* Lt Rear 4.5 oz
* Rt Rear had 6.5 oz
* Lt Front 3 oz
* Rt Front 4 oz

Best Roadforce Balance results -

* Lt Rear balanced with 3.75 oz
* Rt Rear balanced 2.25 oz
* Lt Front balanced 1.25 oz
* Rt Front balanced 3.75 oz

Well I have the tires on the car. The place I had them installed is about a block from my house and in that extremely short drive I could already feel a difference. What an improvement! The ride is so much more comfortable. Minor imperfections in the road fade into the background and hitting a larger bump now results in a "thud" instead of a "bang". Steering is less darty, too. Don't have enough miles on them to comment on ultimate grip level but it almost doesn't matter given how much more comfortable they are.

Interesting post above, I do have a rather bad imbalance; however, I am running 5mm spacers that a buddy gave me on the rear. They created an imbalance when I initially put them on with the OE Conti's. I'm going to remove them and see if that does the trick (hopefully).

Great experience with discounttiredirect.com.

Well I have a few hundred miles on the Pirellis and I'm still so happy to be rid of the harsh and darty run-flats.

The 5mm spacers were removed and the imbalance went away as I suspected it would.

I drove them in an inch of sloppy slush last week and they gripped with authority. Might get the opportunity to try them in deeper snow tomorrow, we'll see.

Managed to find a few on/off ramps to test ultimate grip and it seems on par with, if not more than, the Conti's that were on the car before.

At this early stage of ownership this is the best all-around tire I've ever driven. Hopefully that remains the case.

I've been able to put some miles on the Pirellis and have been very happy. They're great on dry pavement, have been super in heavy rain, performed very well today in sleet (on the way to work) and 3" of wet heavily falling snow. And, they're much quieter than the Eagle LS II's they replaced. So far I'm very happy with this purchase! Someone mentioned balance earlier, I did have to have my front tires rebalanced but they're fine now

I have been using the Cinturato P7's on my 2008 xB for the past two years or so... I mean, they are nice tires, but I don't find the dry or wet traction all that amazing. In any type of standing water or if it is raining heavy, they seem to suffer and hydroplane a bit. They are quiet tires that hopefully last me a bit longer than past tires I've used, which is one reason I picked these along with great ratings, but I don't exactly love them after using them for some time.

On dry payment, when accelerating, they will skip a bit even. Again, I drive a ~160HP Scion xB, not a performance car. The car does have pep in 1st gear, but still. Not really had that issues with the other tires. They corner and stop fine, though. No issues there.

I don't use them in winter (have dedicated tires for that), so I can't comment on that aspect.

A nice quiet tire, but performance is decent at best from what I have used on this car so far (Falken 912's, General HP's, Hankook H727 and I think there was one more I can't recall at the moment...). Perhaps I was just spoiled by the Falken's which even when worn 70% plowed through water like nobody's business... Amazing tires, aside from the deafening road noise near the end of their (quick) life. But those were also a different tire class, so hard to compare.

Now I just bought the g/f General RT43's for her car... Curious how those will do.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back