Axle fluid Ram 1500

I have a 2014 Ram 1500 Sport 4X4 and want to change the axle fluid (I'm at 60 000KM). Want to go with Amsoil severe gear 75w90 for the front and 75w140 for the rear. Only thing manual says 75w85 for the front, is using the Amsoil 75w90 OK? Also it says to add Mopar limited-slip additive. Is there an alternative, or is the mopar the way to go?

For capacity Amsoil says 1 quart front and 2 quarts for the rear is this accurate?

Thanks

Last edited:
Using any 75w90 will work fine, amsoil is good but costs more. Check the correct weight for the rear. I would use 75w140 only if it is oem weight

Though there are other oils which can be chosen, Amsoil Severe Gear is arguably the best on the market. I would choose 75W-110 for the front axle (which is the upper viscosity that 75W-90 used to be before the J300 tables were updated) and 75W-140 in the rear. Amsoil can easily go 100K and beyond based upon my use and UOA's.

PS...happy birthday!

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Though there are other oils which can be chosen, Amsoil Severe Gear is arguably the best on the market. I would choose 75W-110 for the front axle (which is the upper viscosity that 75W-90 used to be before the J300 tables were updated) and 75W-140 in the rear. Amsoil can easily go 100K and beyond based upon my use and UOA's.

PS...happy birthday!

Thanks for the birthday wishes

Can you elaborate for the 75W110???

Originally Posted By: 2001SE
Can you elaborate for the 75W110???
From what I understand, when the SAE J306 tables (a typo in my OP, it is J306 and not J300) were updated, the minimum and maximum kinematic viscosity (cSt@100C) was adjusted and 75W-110 falls into the upper viscosity range that 75W-90 used to have before the adjustment. Pablo and Molekule can elaborate in more detail--PM one of them.

Yes, use the OEM limited slip additive if you can. In my experience it works better than the Amsoil. The Ford limited slip stuff is the best overall from what I have used. And the Amsoil SVG 75W-90 is closer to the OEM's recommended 75W-85 than the Amsoil 75W-110 is, FWIW.

I am going to go with Amsoil severe gear 75w90 for the front and 75w140 in the rear... Now for the transfer case, I have the BW 44-44 case with the auto 4x4 option, Amsoil says to use the Signature Series Multi-Vehicle Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid is that a good choice?

Thanks again!

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
FWIW my Challenger growls and "chatters" w/o the additive even w/synthetic oil.

I use Red Line 75W90 in the rear gear of my '16 Challenger R/T 6 speed......quiet as church mouse.

My 2012 Ram Big Horn 4X4 specs 75W-90 for the front axle in one place you look (printed OM) and 75W-85 in another place you look (electronic OM).

I'm convinced the 75W-85 is a Fiat thing while 75W-90 was a Daimler thing. I replaced the front axle gear oil at 33K miles after inspecting it and finding the level low. I used 1 qt then AAP brand 75W-90 synthetic + 0.5 qt Super Tech 75W-90 synthetic blend to top off and have had zero problems. I plan to replace that with 75W-90 Castrol Syntrax at 64K miles.

PS...happy birthday!
Just curious, but why would you use a heavier weight on the front axle? It hardly ever gets used and when it does it isn't for long and not in a towing/hauling capacity for the most part.

Just curious, but why would you use a heavier weight on the front axle? It hardly ever gets used and when it does it isn't for long and not in a towing/hauling capacity for the most part.
Well, that would be an assumption that it "hardly ever gets used". However, to your question, there are a few reasons:

1. 75W-110 is the upper viscosity that 75W-90 used to be before the J300 tables were updated.
  2. 75W-110 will afford better protection than a 75W-90 and Dodge axles have had issues to the point of FCA recommending very short OCIs
  3. The price difference between the two is minimal if at all (I am speaking of the cost between Amsoil 75W-90 and 75W-110).
  4. In my case, FCA substantially reduced the oil capacity in the front and rear axles, so I want more protection.
  5. Off-road and rock crawling activities are harder on an axle that straight-line driving, and in my Wrangler, I have seen temperatures of 221°F, I would rather have a thicker oil and not need it versus the opposite.

I’ve mostly used amsoil svg and amsoil LSD additive. in the tundra it always needed about 1/3 of the little tube of additive on top of whatever is already in the amsoil. I liked having the diff pretty “tight” but a full tube left it pretty weak as far as limited slip went, while i could feel it “dragging” in turns without any.

Back