Engine oil for 2004 Lexus LS 430

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, I drive an LS430 and want to change to full synthetic 5-W30. I've used M1 but read suggestions in the forums that Synpower is better.
Any experience with my engine?

I have used Mobil 1 full synthetic 5-W30 but I found Penzzoil Platinum full synthetic 5-W30 to be the best. I have the same year/model.
As such, any 5-w30 oil should do just fine. One of the best engines out there. People have used regular oil just fine.

Originally Posted By: JustN89
That V8 could run on baby oil. Go with whatever you would like.

That is almost true.

But the first question is, where is "TAS"?

Choosing a really perfectly suitable oil has a lot to do with climate, which is not PC to talk about any more. Automakers try to diminish that, and their liability, by spec'ing mediocre 5w-30 for everything. If you are asking this crowd, and really looking for an optimal answer, then any answer without factoring climate is not a complete answer.

I have run over the last two decades (and still), a lot of Toyota V6's and V8's, including that one in other platforms (100 Land Cruiser). A low-mileage LS430 is one of my next two used car purchases, especially since my area abounds in them. Flesh out your needs/driving/climate and your answers will be better.

Better is so subjective. Just take look at the Blackstone Lab FAQ tab and they have this to say about it, straight off of their FAQ: (What's the best oil to use?)
Ah, the million dollar question. We are an independent lab, so we don't make recommendations. It has been our experience that oil is oil, and either petroleum or synthetic-based oil will work well for just about any engine.

(Come on, you're holding out on me. I should use synthetic, right?)
Buddy, you should use whatever you want. Synthetic oil won't guarantee a longer engine life any more than my eating organic food will guarantee I'll live until I'm 90. We here at Blackstone generally use regular petroleum-based oil because honestly, it works just as well for us.)

Basically boils down to whatever you want to use, as long as it meets API and has that starburst and is the recommended weight per OM one can hardly go wrong.

Originally Posted By: maccaatdon
Hi all, I drive an LS430 and want to change to full synthetic 5-W30. I've used M1 but read suggestions in the forums that Synpower is better.

It ain't better. It a fine oil, but it ain't better.
welcome2.gif

Originally Posted By: maccaatdon

You can use any of the major brands of oil that meet your cars specs. Your car will not know the difference

Thanks to all the suggestion contributors. TAS is abbreviated TASMANIA, the southernmost state of Australia. We're at 43 degrees south in the roaring 40s.
Climate gets down to low single digits in winter and can top out at 30c on 3 or 4 days in summer. Average winter = 12c and summer = 23c.
I have been using Synpower but reading the http://www.thedrive.com/the-hammer/12762...ed-a-decade-ago I'll be changing to cheapest on sale day.
thanks again to you all.

Thanks to all the suggestion contributors. TAS is abbreviated TASMANIA, the southernmost state of Australia. We're at 43 degrees south in the roaring 40s.
Climate gets down to low single digits in winter and can top out at 30c on 3 or 4 days in summer. Average winter = 12c and summer = 23c.
I have been using Synpower but reading the http://www.thedrive.com/the-hammer/12762...ed-a-decade-ago I'll be changing to cheapest on sale day.
thanks again to you all.

thanks again to you all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back