Replacing power steering pump on 2008 Chev Truck

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to replace my leaking power steering pump on my 2008 chev Suburban. It’s a 3/4 ton with with hydraulic assisted power brakes. Because it’s a hydraulic assist system I don’t want to use chemical stop-leak. I was wondering if anyone has pulled one of these pumps. If so, did you disconnect the high pressure line from underneath the truck (I don’t have a hoist) or did you remove the pump and then undo the line. I’ve done pumps before and am familiar with the pulley removal etc, but with the four wheel drive system and suspension in the way I’m wondering if it’s worth it to try disconnect the high pressure line from underneath. Thanks.

SF

Last edited:
I removed the pump & then the line, but it wasn't on a 4WD (2WD C3500 in my sig). Word of caution-get a good pump, NOT A CARDONE, or you'll be doing it more than once... I actually went back with Red Line PS fluid in mine, old stuff was BLACK when I changed it. Took out the hydroboost unit too.

x3
One guy on the Jeep forum I'm on has gone through 7 or 8 of them in less than a year. When the one on the Liberty died, I got a new Mopar one, so far so good. Bought a new pulley so I could just put it on and be done.

I'm not all that familiar with the Suburban setup, but I'm guessing job one is getting the fan(s) out, that might give you enough room to get the lines off of it before taking it off. Might give you more leverage if it's still in place.

Other random tips that you probably already know - use only OEM orings and they can't be reused. If you have any whining now, I'd replace the return line/cooler line. They develop microcracks in them that suck in air since it's under a slight vacuum but not big enough to leak. Did that on my Liberty and it was a great improvement with the new pump. Hate to see you kill a new pump due to cracked lines!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back