Supertech 5W-20 (Conventional)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure what you mean by properties?
SuperTech oils have the additive package required by the API to meet all specifications for a 5W20 conventional motor oil...Sorry, sounds like a sale pitch, it's not!

Use it with confidence as you would with any other name brand oil and follow your owner's manual for oil grade and OCI. SuperTech oils are very good and held in high regard here at Bob's. Many members have been using ST oils for years and I am one of them. I use many other brands as well purchased on sale as you did with the ST.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4665395/What_are_we_paying_for?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Char Baby
I'm not sure what you mean by properties?
SuperTech oils have the additive package required by the API to meet all specifications for a 5W20 conventional motor oil...Sorry, sounds like a sale pitch, it's not!

Use it with confidence as you would with any other name brand oil and follow your owner's manual for oil grade and OCI. SuperTech oils are very good and held in high regard here at Bob's. Many members have been using ST oils for years and I am one of them. I use many other brands as well purchased on sale as you did with the ST.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4665395/What_are_we_paying_for?

When I meant properties, I meant some people say some oils are meant for longer OCIs and then some say have better detergent properties.

When some buy oils for longer change intervals and better detergent packages, its really means nothing. Its just speculation.

I would suggest you are better off changing your oil when your engine manufacturer recommends it and using the oil that is called for and ignoring everything else.

Dont get me wrong, nothing wrong with buying something more expensive if it brings you happiness, but your engine will last just as long no matter what oil you choose.

Originally Posted By: alarmguy
When some buy oils for longer change intervals and better detergent packages, its really means nothing. Its just speculation.

I would suggest you are better off changing your oil when your engine manufacturer recommends it and using the oil that is called for and ignoring everything else.

Dont get me wrong, nothing wrong with buying something more expensive if it brings you happiness, but your engine will last just as long no matter what oil you choose.

Well, this is for my free beater and I have a theme of trying to keep this car running/alive with a minimal amount invested. Wally world 5W-20 here we go!

A good start is identifying the vehicle/mileage/use-case in which you intend on using it.

5000 miles could be too long an interval if cold started for 10,000 1/2 mile drives.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JLTD
I wouldn't use it for an extended drain. Maybe a UOA and leave it in at 5,000 miles?

Right! No conventional oil should be used for extended OCI's(beyond 5K-6K mile OCI) unless your vehicle owner's manual allows such OCI. Such as some Honda's which said that you can go 10K miles on an OCI when using 5W20(under normal driving...not severe). In the earlier days of these 10K OCI's, Honda wasn't specifying regular or synthetic oil in the owner's manual(unless it was 0W), just that they said to use 5W20. Today when a company says to use 0W** oil, we here at Bob's know that(here in the U.S.), 0W** are only synthetic...as far as I am aware!

Originally Posted By: barkingspider
I would use at 5 or 10w30 in a beater, either way, just do 5k OCIs w ST dino and call it good

What's the reasoning for this? My car is spec'd for 5W-20 and it runs fine with it (1/2 qt every 2500 miles).

As long as the hot idle oil pressure, oil consumption & engine noise is good, there's no reason to switch from 5W20. Although 5 or 10W30 probably won't hurt either, other than a miniscule MPG drop.

First question... What in the world kind of car or truck is this oil going into??

Second question... What is the motor in this vehicle??

Third question... What conditions will the vehicle be run in?? All short trips, only long highway runs, a little of both??

Forth question.. How many miles on this vehicle??

Fifth question.,. Any idea of prior maintenance? Or prior usage pattern??

All that being stated... Supertech would be just fine. But more info is needed to help assess how long it really can go.
Not trying to give ya a hard time here. Not at all. Just need more information.

Last edited:
SuperTech oil is a good choice for your old beater (any oil is better than no oil) but never use it in something new or nice, or it will become a beater.

Originally Posted By: BalticBob
SuperTech oil is a good choice for your old beater (any oil is better than no oil) but never use it in something new or nice, or it will become a beater.

Wrong
ST is as good as any conventional oil for a 5-6000 mile run.
New or old cars.

Originally Posted By: RyanGreener
What kind of properties/OCI should I expect with this stuff? Got 5 qts for 9 bucks the other day at Wally World.

Just don't drop any power bait into the fill hole and you will be fine. You wouldn't do such a thing, would you?

Hey I would be happy to run Supertech oil for the rest of my trucks life. Even the conventional. I am pretty sure I will get every last mile from the engine that is coming to me with it. I don't run extended changes. I run just what Ford wanted for the engine on severe service OCI suggestions. Due to other oils being on sale for an even better price than ST I have been using other brands.

This is in the running for the most worthless/false comment on this forum.

I personally would have no concerns at all running SuperTech conventional out to 6,000... or possibly even 7,500 miles.. in my Fusion. Then again, about 90% of my driving is cruising on the highway, which is easy on the oil.

Originally Posted By: dave1251

This is in the running for the most worthless/false comment on this forum.

The crowd stands and cheers, the applause is deafening, the un-washed masses scream for more ---- SuperTech! SuperTech! SuperTech!
Release the lions, off with his filter, the Great and Mighty Oil Lord of the Opinion has spoken!

thankyou2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back