Fram Tough Guard Air Filters - Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.
Irv and I were both curious, since we've never seen them in Canada. My supplier indicates he would be able to get them, if I so wanted them. So, they technically are available in Canada, just never seen anywhere.
wink.gif

Even when Ive been in the auto stores in the USA, the tough guard air filters are not too common. The regular ones in orange boxes are everywhere. I think they have a few toughguards available in advance auto, but again not for all applications.

Yes, the ordinary ones are everywhere. Even my supplier wondered why I'd be interested, and said change the regular one more often if I'm concerned.
wink.gif
But, a couple of us were curious. It's not like I have trouble getting air filters at a reasonable price anyhow.

They are scarce at best on any retail shelves in the US.

Have y'all tried the Canadian web sites for Walmart & Amazon?

Those are the only consistent places I've found on the US sites that have them readily avsilable.

When I emailed Motorking about this last year he told me Fram would open their own on-line ordering site by the end of 2017 but obviously that didn't hapoen and still hasn't happened.

No, I never really bothered. I get the ordinary Fram air filters at jobber price (Wix, too), and the Infiniti air filter intervals are 24,000 km, so the ordinary Fram filter does the trick for me just fine.

The Canadian Amazon site doesn't do much for pricing on automotive. They have a lot of work ahead of them to even beat Rock Auto, or Summit Racing, for that matter, for a Canadian consumer.

Exactlamente Nygotha.

The Fram TG air filters are non existent around me as well... Used to be a Wally world and Pep Boys. Been gone from both those places for a good while now.

Motorking told me WM decided to do away with shelf space for Fram TG air filters when WM started carrying K&N air filters, for any application they were then stocking from K&N.

Fram has lost a LOT of retail shelf space for both oil & air filters over the past several years, especially for anything beyond basic level Extra Guard varieties. Walmart was about the last bastion for finding all levels of Fram products on retail shelves.

Purolator discontinued their comparable blue lightly oiled media Pure One air filters last year, I picked up 3 of those gor my truck from AAP while I could apply & stack discount codes, AAP rebates, & Purolator rebates but both AAP & purolator were an extreme PITA to get to honor their rebates on these - but I was persistent.

Autozone offers a comparable STP Premium air filters with red lightly oiled media but these aren't priced competiyively vs. a Fram Tough Guard from Amazon or Walmart.com at least for my truck. Plus for my truck, the STP air filters all have the pleat height reduced.

Our Walmarts just have the entry level air filters. Of course, that's perfectly fine by me. I've just always found it odd how the various oil filtration niches are found so much more readily than air filtration, aside from things like K&N. One either is happy with a run of the mill, entry level, perfectly serviceable Fram, or they want to shell out a fistful of dollars for a K&N.
wink.gif

I looked at Walmart.ca and had zero luck with the model number for the Fram TG air filter that fits irv's truck & mine.

I did find it however on Amazon.ca. I *think* the "S" suffix designates the reduced pleat height model (S for Short?) - but only Motorking could confirm or deny.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B000JZBHLM...ds=fram+tga9401

It's a considerable price premium there right now (44% more) vs. the Fram Extra Guard CA9401, unlike the ones I purchased NOS from eBay with full pleat height.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B000A0CALC...&ref=plSrch

Last edited:
I'd have to check with my supplier, but that might be a bit high, yes. Amazon Canada's pricing is all over the place, particularly when it's items supplied from someone else. This is an actual Amazon item, so it's probably not totally out to lunch. I noticed the price of $34.62 Canadian is just below the threshold of $35 Canadian for free shipping. I wonder how coincidental that is.
wink.gif
The Extra Guard on Amazon Canada for my G37 is $22.35.

I don't need to get the cheapest air filter on the planet, but the G37 does take two of them, so I do exhibit some caution. When I can get the Baldwins for under $15 each, or the Fram base product or Wix for the same price from my local supplier, Amazon is going to have to do significantly better than $22.35, especially since I cannot inspect the product before purchase. When I can inspect the product and pay $8 less per copy locally, I'll buy locally every time.

It's interesting to note the Fram site didn't show a Tough Guard application for my G37.

If your vehicle uses a MAF sensor in the intake I don't think a pre-oiled media filter is / was offered by Fram, STP, or Purolator (when they made them). For example, there's no TG air filter offered for my wife's Mustang or niece's Focus - nor equivalent STP Premium air filter.

I've never owned a vehicle with a MAF sensor personally.

I've heard that the OEM filter for my car is pre-oiled, but I've never purchased it, so cannot confirm. I've been happy enough with what I got, and just confuse some parts people when they see I need two.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Garak
Irv and I were both curious, since we've never seen them in Canada. My supplier indicates he would be able to get them, if I so wanted them. So, they technically are available in Canada, just never seen anywhere.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Nyogtha
I looked at Walmart.ca and had zero luck with the model number for the Fram TG air filter that fits irv's truck & mine.

I did find it however on Amazon.ca. I *think* the "S" suffix designates the reduced pleat height model (S for Short?) - but only Motorking could confirm or deny.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B000JZBHLM...ds=fram+tga9401

It's a considerable price premium there right now (44% more) vs. the Fram Extra Guard CA9401, unlike the ones I purchased NOS from eBay with full pleat height.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B000A0CALC...&ref=plSrch

Thanks for doing this, Garak, and sorry I missed this post earlier.

Sounds like the only way to get them is if you have a dealer/supplier willing enough to order them in for you, or use Amazon. At Amazon's price, I think I will just stick with my Extra guard and be done with this quest.

I appreciate the info from both of you guys; thank you!
cheers3.gif

I'm sure my supplier could get me a reasonable price if I so asked, assuming it were made for my application; it doesn't seem to be for the G37. As it is, I often special order the regular Frams through him, since mine needs two and he doesn't always carry them on the shelf.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back