Looking for more HP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Once you get all the mechanical mods done, a good ECU tune based on those mods will reap all the HP possible. Lots of cars can gain HP just from an ECU tune without even changing any mechanical parts.

There is only so much you can do to burn more fuel without spending a lot of money, that's basically what your looking to do, burn more fuel. Turbocharger...most cost effective.

Not a bad way to go, Jackson has been around along time. But it takes HP to turn the Charger, Turbo power is free= mo better, not always boosting.

As Zo6 suggested, maybe professional tuning would be enough to suffice your needs since you have variable timing and a twin cam. Twin cams are a big benefit. By down pipe, do you mean header? Cat delete?

Without forced induction, you aren't going to be reaping big gains. Boost is really your friend here, there's only so many ponies you can wring out of that 1.8L mill, which I would assume already spins to the moon to extract the power it makes presently.

My bad, that is a single cam isn't it. I have not messed with modding Honda's since last the 90's. What do you think about selling and upgrading to an Si, those are twin cams,2.4-liter twin-cam 201 hp and 170 lb.-ft.

The real question is ... just how much HP gain are you looking for? You can go mild with a few mods and a good tune, or go for insane mechanical mods and a turbo boosting 40 PSI of boost to get you 800 HP. How much money and time are you willing to spend?

Rob Ferreti of superspeeders often makes the case that by the time you dump a bunch of money into a entry tier car, you could have bought a used Porsche or something similar.

Even an old Corvette ZO6 will get you going pretty fast.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Without forced induction, you aren't going to be reaping big gains. Boost is really your friend here, there's only so many ponies you can wring out of that 1.8L mill, which I would assume already spins to the moon to extract the power it makes presently.

I 100% agree, Your only working with so much! As it goes with the Sub-Compact segment, If you don't buy the larger/boosted engine......It's going to be SLOW

Insulate and duct the hot air intake.
Head/cam/exhaust/calibration.
Adding lightness is much cheaper
Good tyres and brakes make a big difference.

Price up a K20 swap vs. an eBay turbo kit.

Originally Posted By: Donald
And your doing this why? I assume the stock vehicle could exceed the speed limit.

Most likely he's doing it for fun and personal enjoyment.
Lots of standard unmodified vehicles can exceed the speed limit, why are they manufactured?

Why reinvent the wheel here? Honda already offers your car with a much better motor than the R18. Trade it in and get an Si. Will be cheaper to get the same power.

Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
Why reinvent the wheel here? Honda already offers your car with a much better motor than the R18. Trade it in and get an Si. Will be cheaper to get the same power.

This was my first thought as well. Nothing wrong with trying to extract some more power from what you have, but really none of the other components were built to stand up to a supercharger (trans, suspension, brakes).

Another option is a K20/K24 swap. This way you can build the motor up a bit, and install the 6 speed with LSD to handle the extra power.

Lighter wheel/tire combo, go with slightly smaller tire diameter.
I go from 185/65R15 steelie/winters to 195/55R15 alloy/UHP summer tires for a 4.5% reduction in gearing and drop ~3lbs/corner. It's certainly noticeable for a few days.

Originally Posted By: KneeGrinder
There is only so much you can do to burn more fuel without spending a lot of money, that's basically what your looking to do, burn more fuel. Turbocharger...most cost effective.

Yup, HP comes from fuel burn. Turbo if you want more power anywhere, any time. NOS if you want specific power in one situation (more cost effective for single use).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back