What tax software do you use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Home ownership and retirement accounts do not make for a complicated return. The big names are all similar. I’ve used H&R Block, and now TurboTax for several years. They’ll be accurate as long as your inputs are; mistakes will be operator error.

How much was your CPA charging you for a 1040?

I use H&R Block Premium. This past year I changed jobs, bought a house, sold a house, moved, have retirement accounts, bought a car, sold a car and have kids in school and am married. I was done in 75 minutes.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
TaxAct since 2013. Seems okay.

+2

You might be free using the online version. Only my form 1099 kicked me to the $27 one.

Sounds like your return is fairly simple. I use H&R Block Premium for my personal and business return. Get all your 1099s, etc and work through the questions and you will be fine.

Last edited:
H&R Block Premium can be had for $30 to $40 online. It does Federal and a single state of your choice. Easy peasy question and answer format. Even a caveman can do it. I've used tax software for 28 years with few if any problems..

I paid 5$ for hr block deluxe software (not online software)
free state filing just had to copy over the details (ohio has free online tax)
local through Central Collection agency e-file.

You can do the state with H&R block for another 20$

Premium version (1 above deluxe) was another 5$

Details here although its now 9.95 for deluxe and 15 for premium

https://slickdeals.net/f/11116567-h-r-bl...earchBarV2Algo1

I have been using H&R Block (previously Kiplinger) for probably 15 years.
Easy to navigate, seems to ask all the right questions, and they give you and audit guarantee (they will assist you if you do get audited, not sure how that works though).

I use H&R Premium. My wife and I are retired. We have multiple income sources and I continue to work part-time. I completed Federal and state tax returns in one afternoon. I have used H&R Premium software for many years and have confidence in it.

We have used the Turbo tax deluxe with state & Federal for probably a decade or more. If I switched I would have to start over and fill in all my data again. With Turbo I buy a new disc and it pulls the data from last years form and auto fill many fields. I hate doing taxes and would rather have someone else do it but hey $30.00 for a disc vs over $100 to have some one fill it out ion person is worth it. All these accountants people at HR Block and Jackson Hewitt do is use the same program that I use at home. Have never used any othe tax software but I reckon they are pretty much the same. I am used to how turbo tax works now and know how to navigate it fairly well.

By the time I paid for both federal and state software, it was the same price for someone else to do it, minus the hours spend behind a computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back