2012 honda accord

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey guys
i drive a 2012 honda accord with a 4cyl K series engine. honda calls for 0/20. the car has 117k on the clock, im seeing some oil burn, in between changes. i change the oil every 5-6500 miles. i live in CA so i dont see any colder temps than 20F. what do you guys think of switching oil weight from 0/20 to either a 0/20 or straight 5-30. i currently use lots of different oils, ive tried PP, castrol edge, RP, havoline pro DS, and currently valvoline syn power. out of all these oils, i like valvoline syn power the most, seems to run the smoothest. the car is also a 5sp manual, i run use Redline MTL in the trans, which is a 75/80wt, same as honda man trans fluid. it shifts like butter with the redline.

Have you ever considered that some of your oil "burn" could really just be consumption because you are massively mixing formulations by your musical oil brands? Not bashing, just saying use something that works and get a baseline first unless you have clouds of blue smoke out the pipe like a 90's Chrysler product.

Valvoline full syn with MaxLife or PPHM depending on your OCI. Hondas (other than J35s) are typically fairly easy on oil, so if you are 5k or less go with one of the dino HM oils to save some cash.

As mentioned above, consumption can come from frequently changing oil brands. If you like Synpower, use it in a 5w-20 for two straight oil changes and see if the consumption is less. Also a new PCV valve wouldn't hurt.

Did your model fall under the sticking rings warranty extension? I haven't owned my 2010 for over 3 years and still occasionally get updates on it. Fwiw I used Mobil 1 5w-20 from day one and sold it at 90k miles and it never used a drop of oil.

anything o/20 is semi or full syn, dino oil is 5/20 and up, i will take your advise and stick with valvoline and try 5/20 on the next change, i purchased the car used with 76k on the clock, on the inside of the vlave cover its super clean, so the previous owner did change the oil at least

Try Quaker State Full Synthetic 5w30. Mix it with QS HM 5w30 if you get in trouble. Wouldn't hesitate to use Liquimoly Motor Oil Saver LM 2020 and LM 2009 together. Sounds like rings. Check pcv valve.

Originally Posted By: Bullwinkle007
out of all these oils, i like valvoline syn power the most, seems to run the smoothest.

Since you like the Synpower,give this oil a try:

Originally Posted By: gabriel9766
Originally Posted By: Bullwinkle007
1qt in 6000 miles
1Q in 6k is nothing.

Agreed, I wouldn't change a thing!
If you're down a qt at 6000 miles, just change the oil/filter. I would just make 6K mile my OCI.

Last edited:
Might want to run your vin number with your local dealer. Alot of the 4cyls in those years had piston ring issues. Most likely tho since its only a quart in 6k they will say its normal.

Run 30 weight in it and call it a day your consumption should decrease. I have run 30wt in mine since the first OCI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back