Replacing Stock Geolander G91A

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll be buying some tires for the CX-5 soon. I'll be shopping from Discount Tire and will probably purchase during their Memorial Day sale. Below are the tires I'm looking at to replace the stock Geolanders. I've added the Geolanders for comparative purposes.

Priorities in purchasing a tire; winter performance, driving dynamics and road noise. Given my lack of space, purchasing a set of dedicated winter tires isn't really an option. Plus, where I live, the townships do a pretty good job of removing most snow off the roads within a short amount of time. This winter I've only encountered one day where there was snow buildup on the streets during commute time. Even though it's a crossover, I do enjoy taking the Mazda out on some winding roads in the summer. Cornering ability is definitely something that I enjoy.

I think my preference is as follows: Assurance WeatherReady and Advantage T/A Sport LT (Tie), CS5 Ultra Touring, Scorpion Verde A/S Plus, Defender LTX M/S, Control Contact Touring A/S and finally the DriveGuard.

I've read really good things about the Assurance WeatherReady tire and am very eager to give them a shot. However, the specs on the Advantage T/A Sport LT are very similar for a significantly lower price. I had a set of Advantage T/A tires on a Charger I used to own and thought they were a pretty good tire at the time. So I'm in a quandary regarding these two.

If any of you have had experience with the tires below, I'd love to hear some feedback.

We've had the Coopers on our van for probably about 5k or so. So far, so good.

I had geolanders before and just did not like them. Out of the ones on your list, I would go with the scorpions, hands down.

I apparently missed the first line in your post.. OOPS.
33.gif

Those stock geolandars are terrible.

maybe some nokian WRG3 suv if you are truely prioritizing winter traction.

Otherwise your list looks pretty good no real dud tires on it.

It looks like in addition to the 160 presidents day rebates
100 DTD
60 DTD CC

there is a goodyear rebate that stacks..

Goodyear upto 80$ (80 on weatherready)
Purchase must be made between January 1st thru March 31st, 2018.
A set of four (4) qualifying Goodyear tires must be purchased at the same time.

Delete me.

Which remind me why is the delete post button broken.

Quote:
UBB Message
This post may no longer be deleted.

If winter performance is a priority, and you can;t use a separate set of winter tires, get one of the all-seasons with the 3-peak sign, like the Weatherready.

Other good choices:
Vredestein Quatrac 5
Toyo Celsius
Nokian WRG3 (although these are being replaced by the WRG4)

Does it really have to be from DT/DTD?

Originally Posted By: RamFan

Priorities in purchasing a tire; winter performance, driving dynamics and road noise.
Even though it's a crossover, I do enjoy taking the Mazda out on some winding roads in the summer. Cornering ability is definitely something that I enjoy.

Since you listed winter performance as your #1 priority, I would strongly consider the severe snow certified tires. I am running the Cooper Discoverer 3mtn/snoflake tires on my CX-5 now and they are awesome. Those, however, are my winter only tires. The stock Toyos go back on in the spring. I had the Cooper CS5s on my Hyundai Tucson before getting the Mazda...they were a GREAT tire, but not in the snow. I would rank those you listed as 1) Goodyear 2) Michelin 3) BFG 4) Cooper

Go to tire review sites and look at what others with the CX-5 in your area are running.

Originally Posted By: bigdawg74

Go to tire review sites and look at what others with the CX-5 in your area are running.

Didn't think of that. Good tip!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back