Shaun White!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just saw his half pipe. I thought he was incredible, especially for his age. Don't they consider 31 old in that sport?

The “ old man “ has still got what it takes! He has to make up for the Sochi disaster.

Originally Posted By: gman2304
Dang, his flag etiquette really sucks!

Yes he let it drag behind him
33.gif

It is true that his flag etiquette is off. Frankly I don't think it's prudent to hand ahletes big flags anyway. Small ones on sticks would be easily handled.

Anyway, I was pulling for him (like most Americans), and was glad to see him come through.

Originally Posted By: spasm3

Yes he let it drag behind him
33.gif

First thing I thought when I saw him with the flag, is he will catch some flack for dragging it on the ground and stepping on it. But you have to cut him some slack as it was a super emotional moment for him.

I was happy for and proud of him, until I saw that. It would be nice if someone clued him in to proper flag etiquette. I guess it could be worse, he could have flossed his crotch with it, like those American runners did at the summer Olympics, years ago.

Originally Posted By: 02SE

I was happy for and proud of him, until I saw that.

You're allowed to be happy for and proud of him even though he fails at properly carrying an embroidered piece of cloth.

Some of you guys need to get a grip. He wasn't being purposely disrespectful.

Originally Posted By: Subdued
Originally Posted By: 02SE

I was happy for and proud of him, until I saw that.

You're allowed to be happy for and proud of him even though he fails at properly carrying an embroidered piece of cloth.

Some of you guys need to get a grip. He wasn't being purposely disrespectful.

Some people understand what it represents. To them it's not just "an embroidered piece of cloth".

Good on him for winning. Always nice to see the team do well, and individuals contribute to the overall team performance.

Bad on him for his flag conduct. Certainly wasn't intentional, but more careless. However, intent isn't the complaint here; end results are what matter. Dragging and stepping on the flag are a big issue for some of us.

What follows will dictate how I view this:
- if he comes out with an apology, sincere in his remorse, and makes note to not let it happen again, I can forgive and easily chock it up to a mistake
- if he comes out with an attitude, as if it's no big deal and doesn't understand why some of us are upset, then I'll think much, much less of him.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Good on him for winning. Always nice to see the team do well, and individuals contribute to the overall team performance.

Bad on him for his flag conduct. Certainly wasn't intentional, but more careless. However, intent isn't the complaint here; end results are what matter. Dragging and stepping on the flag are a big issue for some of us.

- if he comes out with an apology, sincere in his remorse, and makes note to not let it happen again, I can forgive and easily chock it up to a mistake
- if he comes out with an attitude, as if it's no big deal and doesn't understand why some of us are upset, then I'll think much, much less of him.
. NBC edited the flag dragging early and hasn’t shown it since. Shaun White has apologized and said he wasn’t aware in the emotional moments after the event that he was dragging the flag on the ground, so I’m good with it.

I've considered him the GOAT when it comes to snowboarding, even though he's a bit overrated.

As a matter of fact, when I started snowboarding the first board I bought was his "pro model" from Burton back in 2005. That board was quite the speed demon but it wasn't the greatest outside of the terrain park.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3

. NBC edited the flag dragging early and hasn’t shown it since. Shaun White has apologized and said he wasn’t aware in the emotional moments after the event that he was dragging the flag on the ground, so I’m good with it.

A mistake in the heat of the moment that wasn't intentional, and the now subsequent apology, I'm good with it too.

As for him being overrated, I don't think that's in any way, shape, or form, true either. He clearly had the biggest, and most difficult run, and he put it down cleanly while under immense pressure, on the biggest stage in the sport.

Congrats to the deserving gold medal winner, Shaun White.
34.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back