2005 Legacy GT Rotella T6 Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure the "i'm new here..." posts get tiresome, but here goes.

2005 Legacy GT with almost 125K. It's always had 5w30 of varying makes--but most recently Castrol Titanium and Castrol Edge. Seems to be fine, but I was reading around here that Rotella T6 5w40 is the go-to oil for Subaru turbos. As the car is now 13 years old with almost 125K, I'd like to keep it running well for as long as I can.

So, someone mentioned in another thread that Rotella T6 5w40 is no longer "multi-vehicle." Now, I don't know what that means, but the question is, is the T6 that says "diesel" on it safe to use in a gas Subaru turbo? (I've looked and seen older bottles that do not say "diesel."

Or, should I try and find some of the new T6 5w30 (which is what the owner's manual says is the "preferred" weight) which specifically says it is "multi-vehicle?" (So far, no auto parts store that I've checked has the T6 5w30.)

Thanks in advance

Technically, you could use the 5w-40. Nothing has physically changed to the point that it's unsuitable for a gasoline engine, at least in a gasoline engine where it was previously suitable in the first place. I like the new T6 Multi-Vehicle 5w-30, which is thicker within the grade than an ordinary ILSAC 5w-30. It will be difficult to find for the time being, but try a Shell distributor. Perhaps NAPA can get it. NAPA Canada can.

welcome2.gif

Napa and O'Reilly can special order the T6 5w30

Amazon has Chevron's Delo 400 LE 5w30

5w40 is a stout oil that is used heavily in powersports/motorcycles/and OPE as well as just about anything.

I have yet to see a bad report on any Shell/Chevron/Mobil offering.

use it with confidence.

My current 0w40 pick is Pennz Plat Euro 0W40. It's A3/B4 rated which RT6 never has been, and has a pretty stout add pack. Plus, it comes in 5 quart jugs instead of just gallons. Would work great in your Subie. Plus it's only $24 at Walmart!

Originally Posted By: funkymonkey1111

2005 Legacy GT with almost 125K. It's always had 5w30 of varying makes--but most recently Castrol Titanium and Castrol Edge. Seems to be fine, but I was reading around here that Rotella T6 5w40 is the go-to oil for Subaru turbos. As the car is now 13 years old with almost 125K, I'd like to keep it running well for as long as I can.

So, someone mentioned in another thread that Rotella T6 5w40 is no longer "multi-vehicle." Now, I don't know what that means, but the question is, is the T6 that says "diesel" on it safe to use in a gas Subaru turbo? (I've looked and seen older bottles that do not say "diesel." Time for the flame suit. 🔥

Or, should I try and find some of the new T6 5w30 (which is what the owner's manual says is the "preferred" weight) which specifically says it is "multi-vehicle?" (So far, no auto parts store that I've checked has the T6 5w30.)

Thanks in advance

Always remember, there are “high vis” Bitog folks and “low vis” Bitog folks. The high vis guys love that 40 weight. Gotta have it. If 30 is good, 40 must be better!

Last edited:
Snaggle, absolutely not. There are some engines that run supremely on 0W20s (my Fusion is over 17k OCIs now on it) and others that run well on 40s (Subaru EJ25s are a good example), and then almost everything else is good on 5W30. It's gotta fit the application and usage!

Originally Posted By: Padawan
Delo 400 XSP 5W-40 is dual-rated, and will work very well in your Legacy.

2005 Legacy GT with almost 125K. It's always had 5w30 of varying makes--but most recently Castrol Titanium and Castrol Edge. Seems to be fine, but I was reading around here that Rotella T6 5w40 is the go-to oil for Subaru turbos. As the car is now 13 years old with almost 125K, I'd like

Thanks in advance

Your manual allows 10W-40 down to -4F and also allows 50 grades. Don't get too fixated on 5W-30 being "preferred", especially in an EJ Subie.

Lots of good recommendations in this thread. What is your Oil Change Interval? Are you still running the AVCS and turbo banjo bolt screens? Any mods? Despite having had turbo failure at 82k miles, I'm still running the banjo bolt screens because the Senior Master Tech at my dealer convinced me to keep them in because he said the pros outweighed the cons (they block debris).

At 110k miles I did a reflsh to an OTS Cobb Stage I and mostly run 0W-40 for 5-6k mile intervals. Now I'm at 173k miles. Mobil 1 High Mileage is another good choice.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bluesubie

2005 Legacy GT with almost 125K. It's always had 5w30 of varying makes--but most recently Castrol Titanium and Castrol Edge. Seems to be fine, but I was reading around here that Rotella T6 5w40 is the go-to oil for Subaru turbos. As the car is now 13 years old with almost 125K, I'd like

Thanks in advance

Your manual allows 10W-40 down to -4F and also allows 50 grades. Don't get too fixated on 5W-30 being "preferred", especially in an EJ Subie.

Lots of good recommendations in this thread. What is your Oil Change Interval? Are you still running the AVCS and turbo banjo bolt screens? Any mods? Despite having had turbo failure at 82k miles, I'm still running the banjo bolt screens because the Senior Master Tech at my dealer convinced me to keep them in because he said the pros outweighed the cons (they block debris).

At 110k miles I did a reflsh to an OTS Cobb Stage I and mostly run 0W-40 for 5-6k mile intervals. Now I'm at 173k miles. Mobil 1 High Mileage is another good choice.

Interval is 3750, +/- 250 miles. No modifications to the engine at all. I also have a 2005 Outback XT that has a blown turbo and is sitting in the driveway. Is there anything you've seen to help prolong the Subaru turbos other than good oil and oil changes?

Originally Posted By: SubieRubyRoo
My current 0w40 pick is Pennz Plat Euro 0W40. It's A3/B4 rated which RT6 never has been, and has a pretty stout add pack. Plus, it comes in 5 quart jugs instead of just gallons. Would work great in your Subie. Plus it's only $24 at Walmart!

I looked at that and wondered. I saw this thread (albeit from 5 years ago):

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2956753

where someone said about Pennzoil Euro (5w30 in this case, not the 0w40): "Don't use it!!! It is made for diesels. It has a completely different additive package. I spoke with a tech at Pennzoil he strongly advised me not to use it in a non-diesel. It is not API certified. Even the cheapest oil at wal-mart would be better for your engine."

Thanks for the clarification on the Pennzoil Euro. Could that comment about not using it apply only to the 5W30? Is the 5W30 a viable option?

The 5W30 (Euro L) is a low SAPS version that should not be used with North American gas. Fine for diesels.

Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
Thanks for the clarification on the Pennzoil Euro. Could that comment about not using it apply only to the 5W30? Is the 5W30 a viable option?

The 5W30 (Euro L) is a low SAPS version that should not be used with North American gas. Fine for diesels.

Thanks!

where someone said about Pennzoil Euro (5w30 in this case, not the 0w40): "Don't use it!!! It is made for diesels. It has a completely different additive package. I spoke with a tech at Pennzoil he strongly advised me not to use it in a non-diesel. It is not API certified. Even the cheapest oil at wal-mart would be better for your engine."

That's a little melodramatic. Even the Pennzoil 30 grade C3 type Euro options have SN. It can be used in gasoline engines. Just watch your intervals. It's perfectly acceptable for the warranty requirements of my G37, which calls for SM or newer in 5w-30. But, the severe service interval is 3750 miles, so it's not going to be a 10,000 mile interval on North American gasoline, should I have chosen that option.

On the other hand, the 5w-30 Rotella has a starting TBN of 11, so no concerns over suitability for an OCI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back