VW Golf charging issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
My brother's 2003 VW Golf (150,000 miles+) is having charging problems that do not have obvious solutions to us amateurs:

History:

- Left lights on a couple of times at work, requiring a jump.
- Sat outside on cold weekend, wouldn't start on Monday until charged up with battery charger.
- Had a flat tire and left flashers on for a couple of hours. Car wouldn't start, Tires plus said "2 battery cells are bad".
- Went to Walmart because battery was under warranty. They said "battery needed charge but is fine - get the alternator checked"
- He's been charging it every night after 1 hour of commuting.
- Autozone said battery is drained, but alternator is putting out 13.7 volts, slightly below the 13.8-14.5 range but they think alternator is okay.

Is this something that has a common solution for this model or does it require a real technician to ferret out?

First just check/change those on alternator(on a picture)... Sorry I dont know the name for them
smile.gif

SCETKE%20VENT..jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kamele0N
First just check/change those on alternator(on a picture)... Sorry I dont know the name for them
smile.gif

SCETKE%20VENT..jpg

Brushes.

I don't think there's much wrong with the car. The output voltage may be on the low side. A voltage regulator may help it, or may do nothing.

Tell him to quit running his [censored] battery dead.

How do we know the charger is good? What voltage do you see from the battery charger he is using?

How clean are the terminal connections?

From having similar "phantom" issues occur from time to time, I bet the battery is no good.

Go to a different Walmart, or go at a different time. The usual policy there is to not ask questions but just change out batteries when someone comes in. Or be more assertive and tell them that you've had the shop test the battery and determine it is not GOOD ENOUGH for your particular application.

Originally Posted By: caravanmike
I certainly would not trust Walmart to tell me my battery is fine! I would have battery tested again.

+ I guess I misread the post I thought AZ found 2 bad cells and Walmart changed it. Time to use the reading glasses.

Originally Posted By: spavel6
From having similar "phantom" issues occur from time to time, I bet the battery is no good.

Go to a different Walmart, or go at a different time. The usual policy there is to not ask questions but just change out batteries when someone comes in. Or be more assertive and tell them that you've had the shop test the battery and determine it is not GOOD ENOUGH for your particular application.

Exactly. Even a battery the readily starts the VW may cause problems. Very sensitive to voltage quality. I didn't think Wal-Mart even sold AGM batteries, of course I've never bought one except from the VW dealer. Not a bad price either.

Walmarts have pretty good battery testing machines. As long as they are operated competently.

Originally Posted By: Kamele0N
smile.gif

SCETKE%20VENT..jpg

Brushes .

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
I don't think there's much wrong with the car. The output voltage may be on the low side. A voltage regulator may help it, or may do nothing.

Tell him to quit running his [censored] battery dead.

Can't fix stupid .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back