Whatever happened to the battery eye?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's the same thing that happened to the transmission dipstick........

Last edited:
It was mostly for the dealer to use when evaluating the battery for warranty.

Eye dry : replace
Green ball sunk : charge, then load test
Green ball floating : OK to load test now

Also it looks like an advanced high-tech feature to the consumer.

To lower costs kind of like most brake pads have eliminated wear indicators as they cost 2 cents per indicator. Why not stuff our pockets with the savings instead of putting those on. They can tell when the backing plate is grinding the rotor. it's all about profit and need.

I currently work with several OEM car manufacturers and it amazes me how much they need something until you tell them how much they can save by removing or eliminating it. You can't get rid of it fast enough then.

Originally Posted By: spk2000
To lower costs kind of like most brake pads have eliminated wear indicators as they cost 2 cents per indicator. Why not stuff our pockets with the savings instead of putting those on. They can tell when the backing plate is grinding the rotor. it's all about profit and need.

I currently work with several OEM car manufacturers and it amazes me how much they need something until you tell them how much they can save by removing or eliminating it. You can't get rid of it fast enough then.

How come new cars have so much superflouus [censored] on them then? - Oh wait, I suppose it has to be cheap superfluous [censored].

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Donald
It only checked one cell. You need something more than the state of one cell.

Right. Like for example, the state of no cells, and a new battery.

They have went the way of the auto cassette player a long time ago, didn't they?

I only recall seeing them on Delco batteries. Did anyone else ever use them?

I recall depending upon the green eye on the first ever no-maintenance battery that I had in a car. What a disappointment. I quickly learned that there was no such thing as a no-maintenance battery, at least as far as lead-acid batteries are concerned.

All good guesses guys, but the real reason they got rid of the eye is because the battery beancounters determined too many people were noticing the eye was bad before the warranty expired, driving up free replacements. Eliminate the eye, and there's no way to know the battery is on its way out until it doesn't start your car, 4 days after the warranty expired. $100+ for your "pro-rated" coverage, ka-ching!

Ask me how I know....

Originally Posted By: BHopkins
They have went the way of the auto cassette player a long time ago, didn't they?

I recall depending upon the green eye on the first ever no-maintenance battery that I had in a car. What a disappointment. I quickly learned that there was no such thing as a no-maintenance battery, at least as far as lead-acid batteries are concerned.

Johnson Controls can still make one if specified by the OEM. I found this photo from this thread:

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3368999/2012_Honda_Civic_Battery

rvikae.jpg

I can't read it too well, but the OP in that topic says the date code on the battery is 01/2012. I can make out that's it's Johnson Controls even though it's kind of low resolution. It certainly looks like a JCI battery.

the same thing that happened to.....
floor mounted high beam switch
oil bath air cleaners
wood spoke wheels
3k mile oil changes
metal dashboards
three-on-the-tree
manual chokes
whitewall tires
rumble seats
bias ply tires
curb feelers
tail fins

Originally Posted By: y_p_w
Originally Posted By: BHopkins

Johnson Controls can still make one if specified by the OEM. I found this photo from this thread:

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3368999/2012_Honda_Civic_Battery

rvikae.jpg

I can't read it too well, but the OP in that topic says the date code on the battery is 01/2012. I can make out that's it's Johnson Controls even though it's kind of low resolution. It certainly looks like a JCI battery.

Honda battery. All Honda original batteries still have one. Not sure why, they are pretty useless. Our OE replacement batteries do not have one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back