Mercedes Blue tec

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just purchased a 2010 Class 7 with a Blue Tec diesel. MB spec. is 229.51. I need help choosing a oil to run. I think I want a 0or5 W40. Our choice is limited in Canada so I am considering Mobil ESP formula or Castrol Edge Turbo Diesel. I need advice, please help.

In the US the correct Mobil is only about 8-9$ a quart at the dealer, which really isnt that bad for that oil required. My parts guide shows Motul 8100 XClean and Liqui Moly Top tech 4605, both in 5/30. Its also showing 229.52 as the spec, but this is US so may be different.

Mobil ESP formula or Castrol Edge Turbo Diesel are the only ones I see that might be available and I am not a fan of Mobile.

Originally Posted By: RogerBacon
Mobil ESP formula or Castrol Edge Turbo Diesel are the only ones I see that might be available and I am not a fan of Mobile.

Mobil is the preferred oil by MB. Mine even has a factory sticker under the hood recommending Mobil. I think Mobil even makes the MB branded oil.

Originally Posted By: Audios
In the US the correct Mobil is only about 8-9$ a quart at the dealer, which really isnt that bad for that oil required. My parts guide shows Motul 8100 XClean and Liqui Moly Top tech 4605, both in 5/30. Its also showing 229.52 as the spec, but this is US so may be different.

This^ buy the oil at MB. The company i work for has a ton of sprinter bluetec vans and they all get dealer serviced at 15k miles for 15 and older models and every 20k for 16 and newer units per MB. We have a couple with 300k on them that still run like new.

7G Tronic is also bullit proof trans. We do 60k service intervals at the dealer as well.

Congrats on the vehicle.

Last edited:
I just purchased a 2010 Class 7 with a Blue Tec diesel. MB spec. is 229.51. I need help choosing a oil to run. I think I want a 0or5 W40. Our choice is limited in Canada so I am considering Mobil ESP formula or Castrol Edge Turbo Diesel. I need advice, please help.

I use the MB 229.52 in my 2011 E350 BT, but the Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 is the same thing. The bottles are molded with exact same shape, just different color!
I would go with the 5W-30. I read about a MB bulletin about some problems with the oil cooler due to high viscosity (not 100% sure).
Really, as stated above, anything on the Mercedes site is "Approved" by them, meaning it meets all of the minimum specs required for that engine. Some probably just barely meet it, others probably exceed the minimum requirement. Either way, if you use them, you should be OK for OEM oil change interval.
I personally don't like going that long (10K miles), so I cut it in half. For US, every 5k miles.

Most importantly, do NOT use biotec diesel unless you know FOR SURE that it is less than 5%.
I also like to run a double-strength dose of diesel injector cleaner, such as LiquiMoly Diesel Purge, into a tank of diesel every 3 months or so. Ours gets a lot of short trips. Not ideal for a diesel.

Good luck.

Contact your local Shell (probably Bluewave Energy where you are) or Imperial Oil distributor for Mobil (harder to buy Castrol direct from Wakefield) and purchase by the case, which will be the best deal. Most of these types of lubes are available only in 1 L bottles, rather than jugs in Canada, and good sales are hard to find, as is finding the product in the first place. The distributor will give you the best pricing and availability. I'd hate to see what a Canadian Benz dealer would charge for oil.

As for retail, there would be nothing more aggravating than needing say 6 litres of the product and finding Canadian Tire or Partsource with 3 litres in stock.
wink.gif

Get Mobil1 5W30 ESP.
Yet to see oil for modern diesel with performance of this oil.

I bought Mobil ESP 0w30 at the distributor for $8.33/lt. I think I will use the 5w30 in the summer. I don't think there can be much difference in the 2. I would like to run a heavier oil in the summer, but as of now, I can not find it.

Both those Mobil 1 oils are very good but I would not go 10k miles between oil changes. Also I use Power Service gray bottle in every tank. I notice a definite quieting of the engine. If I forget to add it, I notice a louder diesel clatter. Also it keeps your fuel pump and injectors clean and lubricated. Both those items are very expensive.

I bought Mobil ESP 0w30 at the distributor for $8.33/lt. I think I will use the 5w30 in the summer. I don't think there can be much difference in the 2. I would like to run a heavier oil in the summer, but as of now, I can not find it.

There is actually.
M1 5W30 ESP meets much more manufacturers approvals including VW 504.00/507.00 which is most stringent when it comes to wear requirements.
Also, 5W30 has ash level at 0.6% while 0W30 has ash level at 0.8%. Also, 5W30 will have lower NOACK (it is 5.6%) while 0W30 will have higher. Lower ash level, plus lower NOACK means longer DPF life. 5W30 also has pour point of -45c, so do not worry about cold performance.

I bought Mobil ESP 0w30 at the distributor for $8.33/lt. I think I will use the 5w30 in the summer.

There you go. Stick with the distributor. As for viscosity, the matter of approvals was already discussed, but as far as viscometrics are concerned, either lube is suitable for use year round. The 5w-30 will be just fine year round.

I am going to try to exchange the 0w30 for 5w30. I like the lower ash level. I may be old school, but I think a diesel should have a heavier oil.

I am using 5w30 Castrol Edge at the moment, its 229.51

When weather warms up i will be switching to 5w40 229.51. Not decided which yet but it might be Motul

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back