Car dealer refuses warranty work, why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a new 2017 Cruze here in Toronto, it has problems that the dealer refuses to acknowledge exist so they won't address them. I thought warranty work was paid for by the factory and dealerships counted on this work to turn a profit but apparently not.
The most obvious example is the PREMIUM 9 speaker Bose entertainment system in my car that is so bad it would be comical if it weren't in my car but someone else's. No mechanical expertise is required to hear it's flaws, maybe I should have had the accountants listen to it rather than the shop foreman.

This begs the question why they don't want to fix it? Is there a sea change underway globally or is it a local (Toronto) thing? I used to visit this dealership regularly for oil changes and marvelled at the number of service advisors checking cars in, there were 9 then, now there are 3.

Dealer shopping for better service is discouraged (your car's history is tracked through the VIN number).
I contacted GM Canada in Oshawa and was blown off next day by the "Ambassador" who said she had talked to the service manager and I could go suck an egg for all she cared, but she was polite.
I received an e-mail from Chevrolet Galactic HQ in Michigan curious about how my experience with Oshawa went. I left no doubt in their minds. Patiently waiting their reply.

Originally Posted By: Spider
The most obvious example is the PREMIUM 9 speaker Bose entertainment system in my car that is so bad it would be comical if it weren't in my car but someone else's. No mechanical expertise is required to hear it's flaws, maybe I should have had the accountants listen to it rather than the shop foreman.

If you didn't like the sound quality of it then you shouldn't have purchased it. Seems simple.

Not really sure what you said. You didn't like the sound quality or was the speaker blown? Seems like HQ is telling you that there's nothing wrong with it. You'll have to define bad better to get any sympathy here on this site.

While dealers do make money on warranty work, they don't make as much as the rate is lower and the amount of time allocated is fixed. They sometimes have to send back defective parts to the factory so they can't just do any repair they feel like.

I have a Harman Kardon system in my Mercedes which sounds ok to me, but some people on the forums hate it too. Not sure what your standards are.

I bought a new 2017 Cruze here in Toronto, it has problems that the dealer refuses to acknowledge exist so they won't address them. I thought warranty work was paid for by the factory and dealerships counted on this work to turn a profit but apparently not.
This begs the question why they don't want to fix it? Is there a sea change underway globally or is it a local (Toronto) thing? I used to visit this dealership regularly for oil changes and marvelled at the number of service advisors checking cars in, there were 9 then, now there are 3.
Dealer shopping for better service is discouraged (your car's history is tracked through the VIN number).
I contacted GM Canada in Oshawa and was blown off next day by the "Ambassador" who said she had talked to the service manager and I could go suck an egg for all she cared, but she was polite.
I received an e-mail from Chevrolet Galactic HQ in Michigan curious about how my experience with Oshawa went. I left no doubt in their minds. Patiently waiting their reply.

BOSE stands for Buy Other Stereo Equipment. They used to be good, but no longer

It seems you had a complaint about the tires as well:

I bought a new Cruze LT with the RS option which was delivered with Hankook Kinergy tires that I found extremely noisy, I complained and the GM dealer said that they were just fine, not a problem at all. Easy for them to say.

Originally Posted By: Pelican
BOSE stands for Buy Other Stereo Equipment. They used to be good, but no longer

The Bose speakers in my dad's 1986 Buick Riviera didn't sound like anything special. And this was when it was new, so back in 86.

Sound is subjective. That's probably why they are running the other way. Even Bose systems in cars and for the "casual ear". A good sound system can cost several thousand dollars-to do it right.

I have Bose in my Sierra-and it sounds OK-not great-just OK. It sounds like the OP should have bought a higher end vehicle.

With all due respect-the OP is probably considered a "pain" by now and they dealer doesn't want anything to do with him.

Last edited:
Dealer's don't really make much on warranty work. Parts we sell on warranty repair orders are billed at cost +40% unless it is a powertrain component which payz cost plus a handling fee of anywhere from $330 to $1030 depending on type. Our door rate for customer pay labor is $140 while warranty reimburses around $108 and much less hours per repair. For instance we have been doing recalls that require replacing Mazda 3 dashboards, the tech only gets to flag 1.7 hours to replace a dashboard with no additional time granted to trace down squeaks and rattles.

As far as your issue, audio problems are always so subjective. What one person thinks is alright another will say is junk and unacceptable. For a repair to be performed the issue has to be replicated at the dealership which sometimes can be the most difficult part of the whole process.

Save yourself the trouble and get rid of that car ASAP. The Cruze is one of the biggest lemons on the road. The radio problem is just the beginning.

With all due respect-the OP is probably considered a "pain" by now and they dealer doesn't want anything to do with him.

This Cruze was leased when the lease ended on my previous car. Guess what - another Cruze from the same dealer and salesman that never presented itself, not once, for warranty issues. Due respect noted.

This Cruze was leased when the lease ended on my previous car. Guess what - another Cruze from the same dealer and salesman that never presented itself, not once, for warranty issues. Due respect noted.

You still haven't adequately described the problem. So far it sounds like you're older now and now you have sound problems. First tire noise and now audio system problems.

Tire noise is a common complaint for some types of tires. They never do anything about it. Some make more than others and that's how it goes.

Crutchfield
smile.gif

Sounds to me like the OP has a history with the dealership and he's on their pay him no mind list. Tire noise and not happy with the stereo isn't going to cut it. They'll look, they'll listen, they might even take if for a spin, and if is what they consider normal nothing is going to get done. OTOH if it were spewing oil or coolant, or some other quantifiable issue they'd fix it.

Crutchfield sells thats insulation for your door panels to quiet your interior from road noise.

We own 3 Hondas and are accustomed to road and tire noise. We just turn up the stereo and drive on.
smile.gif

Your description here does not convey an issue. Are you clear about the issue with them. Saying it sounds bad does not mean much. You need objective criteria.

Good luck

I think the only way you have a complaint is if your car sounds different than another new same model car with the same sound system.

If yours is drastically different, then there may be a complaint. If yours sounds the same as another similarly equipped car, it's the nature of the system and not a defect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back