Virgin Valvoline VO-25 E-Core C&P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had this on the shelf at home, for a truck I no longer own. It must die so others may live. We stock these Valvoline filters at my dealership for off-brand cars. Some are E-Cores, others are not. This was for a '95 Toyota 4-Runner, sold the truck a while back. I ran one of these for a short clean up OCI and then switched to a K&N. No appreciable difference in the posterior dynamometer between the two. Obviously the K&N is heavier and tougher, and was not plastic inside. Enjoy.

244ekhg.jpg

f2ngk2.jpg

in71n5.jpg

2dhirgk.jpg

29p46e1.jpg

jjlgeo.png

24cz2xh.jpg

2yvj3o0.jpg

Last edited:
Can is crazy flimsy. Everything else on my shelf is built like a tank. K&N, Ford Racing, Bosch D+, Kia OEM, all way heavier walled cans. I feel like I could have just used a dull knife to open this one up.

The filter media looks decent. Valvoline sizes their filters to fit a large number of vehicles so they don’t have to many manufacture a bunch of different sizes.

It sounds like channelocks might not be helpful in getting one of these off if it had been installed by a gorilla.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
The filter media looks decent. Valvoline sizes their filters to fit a large number of vehicles so they don’t have to many manufacture a bunch of different sizes.

It sounds like channelocks might not be helpful in getting one of these off if it had been installed by a gorilla.
VIOC loves to overtighten them, I've had the thread adapter come out because they went crazy tightening them.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle

VIOC loves to overtighten them, I've had the thread adapter come out because they went crazy tightening them.

That's why DIY is much better you know how tight that guy tightened them!

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson

Yes but the robot always comes first. That’s my usual pita oil change on the factory fill. After that it’s easy until someone else does it.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson

Yes-that's only on the leased company van. I wish I could just do it myself, VIOC would never touch anything of mine.

Anecdotal observation ....

- If this were painted orange, it would be getting less than pleasant responses for the fiber end caps.
- And, a leaf spring rather than coil spring, which I've pointed out before in other threads.

Yet no one says a derogatory thing about this filter and the features that would cause one to cringe of another brand. More proof that some BITOGers are fickle and overly brand sensitive. Oh - the hypocrisy ... I find it ironic that some folks will lambast particular brands for features they perceive less than acceptable, but then when those same features show up on other brands, they ignore the issue.

To be clear, I have no problem with any of these features; I'm fine with metal or fiber end caps. I'm OK with leaf or coil spring. I have no conpunction to care about where the BP is located, as long as it works.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Anecdotal observation ....

- If this were painted orange, it would be getting less than pleasant responses for the fiber end caps.
- And, a leaf spring rather than coil spring, which I've pointed out before in other threads.

Yet no one says a derogatory thing about this filter and the features that would cause one to cringe of another brand. More proof that some BITOGers are fickle and overly brand sensitive. Oh - the hypocrisy ... I find it ironic that some folks will lambast particular brands for features they perceive less than acceptable, but then when those same features show up on other brands, they ignore the issue.

To be clear, I have no problem with any of these features; I'm fine with metal or fiber end caps. I'm OK with leaf or coil spring. I have no conpunction to care about where the BP is located, as long as it works.

Quit pointing out others flaws.
smile.gif

I agree though. Some will bash a filter regardless of what it looks like based just on the maker.

I used to prefer metal endcaps, but after seeing how well fiber performs, I am fine with either.
Same for springs, I prefer the coil, but a leaf is fine.
I prefer metal center core with holes, but am OK with e-core or (well opened) louvers.

I am not OK with a pattern of torn media.
I am not OK with a pattern of sliced, torn, ripped ADV.
I am not OK with louvers that are not punched open properly.
I am not OK with a company that ignores know problems with their product.
This is why I am anti-Purolator.

Originally Posted By: blupupher
I am not OK with a pattern of torn media.
I am not OK with a pattern of sliced, torn, ripped ADV.
I am not OK with louvers that are not punched open properly.
I am not OK with a company that ignores know problems with their product.
This is why I am anti-Purolator.

thumbsup2.gif
cheers3.gif

I had never used a Purolator (except for Purolator made Motorcraft filters) so it was easy to kick them to the curb when I started experiencing filter media tears. Then the ADBV valve tears started on the "new and improved" line of filters all the while Purolator never acknowledged there was any issue.

Champ has seemingly fixed the early ecore issues. Sort of like Fram has fixed their EG series over time. I like the ecore design and what they claim about them. One thing is the cleanliness of the cage center tube. On the other hand, Champ has gone to louvers and to me the possibility of metal particles shedding from louvers is pretty high. Just by looking at the burs on them.

Fram (& Champ) had some early issues with these-poor pleat spacing, combined with large windows in the plastic cage, would cause occasional media blowout (windowing). They seem to have fixed the issues on them, I'm personally looking forward to them (hopefully) returning to Walmart as the new ST filter. Unfortunately Mann & Hummel could care less about their junky low-end filter issues-they could learn how to build a decent filter, instead of paying for shelf space for companies to stock them...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back