Rotella T5 10w30 good to -25C/-13F

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes sir I get that synthetics flow better but of all the sites I've been to reading up on 10w30's the Shell site is the only one comes out and gives an actual temp. Most other sites the only thing I see is pour points which I've learned here is not a good indicator of how well the oil will work in colder temps. But the pour point for the T5 (-42C) is better than say Durablend (-33) so I was wondering why is all.

Originally Posted By: Duffyjr
Thinking about using T5 in my pickup for the April-Nov fill and ran across this at the Shell site. Says the 10w30 is good down to -25C.

http://rotella.shell.com/products/t5.html

What makes the T5 better at lower temps than other 10w30's at 0F?

Probably nothing makes it better than other 10w30s unless it goes longer without slipping a grade as they are allowed to do. They all pass the same tests to qualify for their grade.

10W-30 is rated at:

-30C for MRV (pumping)
-25C for CCS (cranking)

This is regardless of who manufactures it, it must test below the limits for those two qualifications to be classified as a 10W-xx.

Hi @Duffyjr, Rotella T5 10W-30 (Synthetic Blend) is enhanced with synthetic base oil plus advanced additive technology for better low temperature flow (Note: pour point at –42 degC/–43.6degF). The effect: minimizing wear for better engine protection and easy cranking during cold start-ups as it easily flows towards the critical engine parts. Hope this helps!

Originally Posted By: Duffyjr
What makes the T5 better at lower temps than other 10w30's at 0F?

It's always important to note what "other" 10w-30s to which you're comparing. If it's an ILSAC 10w-30, the MRV and CCS numbers of the ILSAC lube will be considerably better. It would be best to compare the T5, of course, to its legitimate competition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back