Number of round between cleaning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here in BITOG there are folks who like to push their OCI to the engineered limit and then some which makes me wonder...

What is your highest number of rounds in between cleaning?

I'm not an extended OCI kind of guy so the most I had gone in between cleaning is 600-700 rounds.

Depends on the gun. Pistols and rimfire rifles can go 500 rounds or more. Same with some of my AK's and AR's. My more accurate scoped bolt action rifles will get cleaned after every 40 to 60 rounds. Or when accuracy starts to fall off. I never put ANY gun away dirty.

Depends on the gun, the point in the gun's life, the quality of the ammo, and it's intended usage.

My AK has been cleaned maybe three times thru about 3000 rounds. Never had a single malfunction.
.22LRs generally don't like cleaning and the precision experts (forget the company name) recommend cleaning only about every 5k rounds.
My new .308 TC Compass which hasn't yet been fired will be cleaned each of the first 5 shots, then every 5th shot to about 50, Then probably every two-three boxes of ammo after that.

Originally Posted By: SubieRubyRoo
Depends on the gun, the point in the gun's life, the quality of the ammo, and it's intended usage.
Fully agree. I have some custom varmint rifles that I typically clean every 25-50 rounds, but then there is a shotgun that I **may** clean once per year. My EDC is cleaned after every trip to the range. As SubieRoo stated, it all depends.

Mine get cleaned after every session regardless of how many rounds were fired however, sometimes I'll put off a thorough cleaning and do a quick cleaning of the barrel if I'm going back out in a day or two. The highest number for my 22s has been about 1000 and any of my centerfire's about half that.

If you consider my military surplus rifle , firing foreign military surplus ammo ( probably corrosive primed ) , Clean it before the sun goes down .

If you are talking about the rifle that shoots only non corrosive primed ammo , after a few trips to the range .

Be safe out there ,

I clean my handguns after any use, 6 rounds or 600 they get taken down and cleaned. Rifles and shotguns depend on how many shots went through them and how soon I'll use them again. 22 semi autos usually get a cleaning if I've put more than 100 rounds through them and don't plan on using it again for a while. All long guns do at least get wiped down on the outside before being put away.

Originally Posted By: Sonic
I clean my handguns after any use, 6 rounds or 600 they get taken down and cleaned. Rifles and shotguns depend on how many shots went through them and how soon I'll use them again. 22 semi autos usually get a cleaning if I've put more than 100 rounds through them and don't plan on using it again for a while. All long guns do at least get wiped down on the outside before being put away.

Same here.

My range guns get cleaned when they ooze so much crud it gets my clothes dirty or I start to get malfunctions. Revolvers need a more frequent cleaning in my experience that semi autos. I did 3,000 rounds of my reloads 3.9 Gn Win 231 and 124 Missouri hard cast bullets on my RugerP95. I lubed is overy few range trips.

These days, I'll only shoot 1,000 to 1,500 rnds a year in total, so I run a patch with oil thru the barrel,
wipe down and put 'em away after each visit to the club and then a dry patch before shooting again.

Once a year everything gets field stripped or more as needed, a thorough cleaning and a look see
for issues. A nice annual ritual over coffee, oldies on the radio on a winter day!

So far all barrel bores are like new including the 100 yr old stuff!

One of my smoothest running ARs was given an initial cleaning at 0 rounds, lubed, and then I shot a case of 1000 rounds before cleaning it.

Worked out pretty well as all that carbon sort of acted like liquid sandpaper and smoothed everything out.

My pistols tend to get more frequent cleanings as my hands tend to be closer to the dirty parts of the action, and when I shoot lead reloads, I don't like the idea of buildup in the bore.

I clean everything if I fire it. Except .22 I clean those when they stop working.

If you use a gun for defensive use, it should be cleaned/lubricated AND inspected. When you take apart a gun for cleaning you should be looking for broken parts, broken springs, chipped extractors, anything out of the ordinary. I have found numerous issues over the years that I wouldn't have found if the gun was not cleaned/inspected.

Originally Posted By: newbe46
Here in BITOG there are folks who like to push their OCI to the engineered limit and then some which makes me wonder...

What is your highest number of rounds in between cleaning?

I'm not an extended OCI kind of guy so the most I had gone in between cleaning is 600-700 rounds.

I clean my firearms after each time I shoot them. This is something my grandfather started teaching me when I was 6 years old. The military also honed the edges for me as well.
thumbsup2.gif
34.gif

It’s situational. After firing I always oil the bore, bolt face, and gas system if any. I may shoot the gun again before cleaning it after wiping the bore out. If I do clean the gun the oil sitting on it makes cleaning much easier.

I haven’t seen any gun that had too much powder fouling to work, I have seen them too dry to function.

Even a Glock.

BSW

I clean after every range session.

The only exception is if that particular gun is going to be used again soon, then I'll put off cleaning until the last range session is complete.

"Cleaning" is subjective, as well. I field strip and examine pistols and give them a thorough cleaning. Then lube and assemble.

But for the Garands in my collection, I clean only the barrel and chamber. I don't field strip them until it's been a year, or 1,000 rounds. The grease in the Garand holds up for that long, and excessive disassembly can loosen the action to stock fit. Bolt rifles get similar treatment, clean the barrel, clean the bolt, lube and wipe it down. Action stays bedded in the stock unless really needed.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
....But for the Garands in my collection, I clean only the barrel and chamber. I don't field strip them until it's been a year, or 1,000 rounds......

That's really good to know. I always feel guilty after shooting my M1-A's, and not cleaning the gas system after every range session. Because they are somewhat of a PITA to field strip and reassemble. At least compared to an AR-15 platform rifle. Next time I won't. I rarely shoot more than 60 rounds at a session with them anyway.

When I first got my Beretta 92, I would clean it religiously every time after I've shot it even if it this just 100 rounds. I would field strip it then clean and lube anywhere there is friction. I must say I'm less attentive to my VP9 than my Beretta.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back