Land Rover discovery 2.7L 17700km

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just thought I'd share my latest UOA. First sample since I've moved from a 5w30 to 5w40 oil. Still using Valvoline synpower. Gone longer on this sample than previous ones and the wear materials look good overall- lab has flagged viscosity which is just a little low for a SAE40, but hardly a concern at this stage IMHO. Will be running this oil until around 26000km at which point I'll take another sample and see how it looks, may run a little longer or may dump it depending on results

I'm not familiar with this engine series; don't have data on it. I assume since you posted this in the diesel section, it is diesel. Is the oil there diesel rated? In the States, we think of "Synpower" as a PCMO. But the product you have may be different than ours.

Seems to shed a wee bit of Fe, doesn't it!?!

Interesting jump in Si; did you change or alter the air filter? It's still low enough to not cause concern; I wouldn't really think 9ppm is that bad for almost 18k km.

Last edited:
The oil is API: SN/CF rated and ACEA A3/B4 so I got no issues running it in a light duty diesel engine. Heres a link to the Australian version:
http://synpower.com.au/products/synpower-5w-40/

Air filter hasnt been touched during the period of the last oil change and has actually been in for around 50,000km. No real increase in Al which could be a good indication of dirt - however the dirt here is fairly heavy in iron so I tend to see an increase in Fe levels with dirt (at least we do in the gearboxes at work which isnt suprising considering its an iron ore mine
grin.gif
)

Originally Posted By: HoosierJeeper
Yep that's a diesel. Cool to see another LR3/Disco3 owner here!!

They are certainly a nice comfotable 4x4, but you need to have a thick skin to ignore all the Toyota drivers (I imagine your skin would be like a bomb shelter with both Land Rovers and Jeeps according to your sig
crazy.gif
)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back