KYB vs OEM struts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replace the shocks on Highlander around 35K miles ago and they are mushy now.
When the shocks were replaced did realize the piston and shaft were smaller than the OEM ones.
Had my doubts back then, there was no looking back, the old one was out and new one had to go in.
Settled with the KYB from Tirerack since the OEM ones were 2x the cost of the one from Tirerack.

Guess that was a bad decision looking back since the OEM shock had 140K and didn't have a mushy feeling even with so many miles.

Your thoughts.

Originally Posted By: MaximaGuy
Replace the shocks on Highlander around 35K miles ago and they are mushy now.
When the shocks were replaced did realize the piston and shaft were smaller than the OEM ones.
Had my doubts back then, there was no looking back, the old one was out and new one had to go in.
Settled with the KYB from Tirerack since the OEM ones were 2x the cost of the one from Tirerack.

Guess that was a bad decision looking back since the OEM shock had 140K and didn't have a mushy feeling even with so many miles.

Your thoughts.

That's how I feel after buying NON-OEM, not every single time but quite a few times. But $$$ difference can be really tempting
frown.gif

OE, Bilstein, or Sachs are the shocks and struts I use the most if they available for your make and model. Other aftermarket only their top tier models. Monroe has no place on anything I work on, a once good brand long gone down the toilet.

Surprising. I've had nothing but good experiences with KYB parts.

Quick note, you really can't tell quality or firmness by the tube diameter. Monotube shocks are considered firmer, higher-performance units but they are actually smaller in diameter than fatter, generally softer twin-tube shocks.

KYB has gone WAY down hill outside of OEM supplied.

Funny story - I installed a new set of KYB rear shocks on a Volvo a couple years ago. Took it around the block on a test drive and pulled it in line for an oil change. I noticed a puddle under the RR wheel as I was walking around the car and peeked underneath. Sure as could be the shock was puking oil. After maybe 300 yards of use.

That being said, it probably has nothing to do with the diameter of the strut rod or the size of the piston. It's all about valving. Unless, of course, the struts leaked that quickly. Which is entirely possible.

Just doing a quick look, you can find OEM Toyota struts (most likely made by Tokico) for around $120 each. KYB's on Rockauto are $95. $50 a pair is small change for OEM parts.

I am glad that I am not the only one who has observed similar behavior.

I have many examples of recent KYB issues, but here are some examples:

Between 2015-16 I installed 6 KYB Excel-G struts for the 2007-11 Camry application. 4 out of the 6 struts have seeped enough oil after 20-25k miles (1/2 to 3/4 of the way down the strut) to warrant replacement.
In 2013 I installed 4 KYB Excel-G's on a Chevrolet Malibu. 2 of the fronts struts have recently begun seeping (minor seeping, almost 1/2 way down). It has been about 35K miles.
My father's Toyota Previa received 2 KYB Excel-G's and 2 KYB Gas-A-Justs in 2013. He has put on about 40K miles since that time. The 2 fronts are OK but the rears have been bottoming out and making a thunk-like noise for the last few thousand miles.

In comparison, the Bilstein B4 struts, OE toyota struts, OE Honda struts and OE Nissan shocks that I have installed during the same timeframe have experienced 0 failures or issues.
Interestingly enough, I did install 1 full set of Monroe OESpectrums several years ago and they are still performing okay (a bit softer than new, but no leaks or noises) after 30K miles on an Infiniti I30.

Last edited:
Yeah, I am disgusted with the whole aftermarket car parts industry. At one time, they built parts that almost never needed replacing again. You install the part(Monroe, KYB, MOOG, TRW, Borg/Warner, Wells, etc.) and you're done, And, there was a lifetime warranty to boot!

YES, I realize that companies can't stay in business selling us an electrical or suspension or engine part ONCE, and never seeing us again. I understand a company wanting to make money to stay alive but, as far as I am concerned, they make junk right out of the box that may only last a year and we're doing the job again. If you kept your receipt, you may be in luck and have the part covered under warranty. How many folks don't have the receipt? I keep all of mine!

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Yeah, I am disgusted with the whole aftermarket car parts industry. At one time, they built parts that almost never needed replacing again. You install the part(Monroe, KYB, MOOG, TRW, Borg/Warner, Wells, etc.) and you're done, And, there was a lifetime warranty to boot!

The world has changed - folks are interested in quick availability and low prices. Like many other industries, auto parts are being commoditized. It is essentially a race to the bottom. Resellers are no longer able to sell on value or quality - it has become a price game for most sellers.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
The world has changed - folks are interested in quick availability and low prices. Like many other industries, auto parts are being commoditized. It is essentially a race to the bottom. Resellers are no longer able to sell on value or quality - it has become a price game for most sellers.

Absolutely true. The relentless consumer demand for low prices drives this...

For some parts I have concluded what is the best overall for a vehicle I am keeping and for shocks or struts is Bilstein. For me, no need to consider other options.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby

YES, I realize that companies can't stay in business selling us an electrical or suspension or engine part ONCE, and never seeing us again. I understand a company wanting to make money to stay alive but, as far as I am concerned, they make junk right out of the box that may only last a year and we're doing the job again. If you kept your receipt, you may be in luck and have the part covered under warranty. How many folks don't have the receipt? I keep all of mine!

sounds like the muffler industry in the 70s. took an innovation by Japanese (I think) tp stop mufflers rust at 1 1/2 years of age. maybe thats what the shock industry needs. what it would be I have no clue, seems better o rings or straighter smoother shafts would help

I've had mixed luck with Bilstein, they ride great but both sets I had on the rear of my Liberty puked the fluid after 20k miles. Put OME shocks on and it's been great for 25k miles. Although I do have Bilsteins on my 96 Cherokee and they've been good for 20k miles.

I replaced the shocks on my Odyssey at around 93,000 miles. My mechanic recommended KYB assembly instead of anything else. It was a mistake I would like to take back.

First of all, there is the noise. It's almost as if something doesn't sit properly and whenever there is a small bump there is this "boink" coming from the front axle.

Then the there is the ride, it was much harsher than the original. I say this because a friend of mine has the same year model and similar mileage before I change the shocks, he has the original shocks and his van is much nicer.

Unanimous to stick with OEM then, if quality aftermarket shocks are not living up to the quality.

It isn't the price that bothers me about Tirerack, why sell it in the first place an inferior product compared to OEM.

What bothers me is getting to do it all over again, freaking sucks.

Originally Posted By: newbe46
I replaced the shocks on my Odyssey at around 93,000 miles. My mechanic recommended KYB assembly instead of anything else. It was a mistake I would like to take back.

First of all, there is the noise. It's almost as if something doesn't sit properly and whenever there is a small bump there is this "boink" coming from the front axle.

Then the there is the ride, it was much harsher than the original. I say this because a friend of mine has the same year model and similar mileage before I change the shocks, he has the original shocks and his van is much nicer.

Putting KYB's in a minivan is questionable at best. Does Monroe make something for this vehicle?

Originally Posted By: The Critic

Interestingly enough, I did install 1 full set of Monroe OESpectrums several years ago and they are still performing okay (a bit softer than new, but no leaks or noises) after 30K miles on an Infiniti I30.

I never had luck with SensaTracs when I used a set on a old van my parents had and I also installed two front ones on a friend's truck.

I wonder if Monroe changed up the OESpectrum series?

Originally Posted By: 14Accent

Just doing a quick look, you can find OEM Toyota struts (most likely made by Tokico) for around $120 each. KYB's on Rockauto are $95. $50 a pair is small change for OEM parts.

Could you pl. send me an URL for OEM struts that are $120/piece, all my dealerships here charge $198+tax

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back