D-A Lubricant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone have experience with D-A Lube Reliant J-4 FS 5W-40? We have a couple of customers running it now and their oil analysis reports show it to be on par or better than T-6 in reguard to cumulitave wear metals, the base number does come back a little lower but the oxidation also comes back lower and it apears to have more calcium and less magnesium which I believe is a good thing.

http://www.dalube.com/pdfs/Reliant J-4 FS.pdf

John Walko

Last edited by a moderator:
no help on the boutique oil..but Rotella/Mobil/Delo make fine products. Lots of stellar UOAs on these that I have seen.

Curious as to why the 5w40? Why not 10w30 or 15w40 HDEOs?

Never have I lost an engine due to any make of oil. I have been driving since 1964 and if anyone in here was driving in 1964, we were using ancient oil designs back then as compared to the space cadet wizards in college oil engineering today..imho

no offense intended in the above statement..

I have to agree with your statement. I was an infant when you started driving, but I'm friends with a gentleman who's been a heavy equipment/Semi Truck diesel mechanic since the mid 70's. I've known him before I was in my teens, - which was right about the time he started working on diesel motors. He just recently retired.

I greatly value his knowledge, so I asked him what was the "Best" brand of oil to run in my Series 60 Detroit. He told me in all his years, he never saw any evidence that one of the major brands was better than the others. He also said the only oil related failures that he'd seen were actually operator failures. Once they had a rookie mechanic forget to torque a drain plug after performing a PM, and a few Drivers over the years who failed to keep an eye on their truck's dipstick. His advise to me was use a major brand and follow Detroit's recommended change intervals.

I've never used D-A's 5W-40 oil, but I know of a 40 truck fleet that uses their 15W-40 oil (they have used D-A since the 1980s). D-A isn't known as well as the "big 3", but they certainly make quality lubes.

Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
Never have I lost an engine due to any make of oil. I have been driving since 1964 and if anyone in here was driving in 1964, we were using ancient oil designs back then as compared to the space cadet wizards in college oil engineering today..imho

no offense intended in the above statement..

I think that the customers John speaks of, are quite possibly guys running oil for hundreds of thousands of miles with bypass filtration. I don't think of D-A as a boutique oil of high cost (I don't believe it's an expensive oil but not sure), it's just an oil that isn't so well known. For some of the Pittsburgh Power customers, some oils may provide a longer service interval before hitting any of the condemnation limits.

Pittsburgh Power is a fantastic company. You guys are awesome for those of us with big trucks.

welcome2.gif
to the site!

I have no experience with DA Lubes engine oils, but I do use their (now defunct) Auto-Trans-5 (which was the clone of TES-295 ATF). Very happy with the ATF.
They were local here to Indy, but I think they have moved up to Lebanon, IN.
If you have some UOAs on it, please share and post in the appropriate sub-forum!

Last edited:
Definately not a "boutique oil" we can offer it for less than Rotella, Mobil or Delo.

Not sure exactly why I've gravitated to the 5w40, I've had noticable perfotmance increases using lighter oils in motorsport so I tend to go that way, if it were my personal truck I'd be running a synthetic 5w30...

Exactly, many of our customers are sucessfully extending their drains using either Harvard or OPS bypass filtration and UOA's every 25k or so.

Thank you for the kind words, we do our best!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back