Jobs where you're on your feet all the time keep

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does this kind of job keep you fit? I've noticed I'm getting pretty weak lately. Yesterday I tried doing some pushups and did like 15 before it burned too much and I had to stop. I had no idea I was that bad. I used to be able to do 50 without a problem.

Nope it just wears out your feet. Someone who stands all day (cashier, retail sales, etc) would still need to exercise after work.

You would sure burn more calories than sitting all day. If you can eat clean while on your feet all day and the job actually requires you to move, you should be able to get in better shape. Download an app to track your steps. As soon as I took a deskjob, I gained alot of weight...granted I did go to a higher paying job..if ai could have the best of both worlds I would!

One word No it’s in general it’s what you feed yourself with eat ding dongs all day you’ll be a ding dong I could do absolutely nothing and still keep thin people just eat to much junk, I’m 45 and yes I could drop and give you them 50 push ups for a warm up.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am 350 lbs and am on my feet all day at work as a nurse (12 hour shifts).
So while I do burn a lot of calories at work, I am in no way in any shape except round.

I need to get some actual cardio in, as well as some conditioning.
When I do that I loose weight.

in short...no...
I've been working in just such a job for the last 20 years. on my feet 8hrs a day, running a cash register.
in said time, I've gone from about 200lbs, to about 350lbs.

that being said, most people don't believe that I weigh as much as I do... there's No Hiding that I'm Over Weight, but...I apparently don't Look 350...

Originally Posted By: blupupher
So while I do burn a lot of calories at work, I am in no way in any shape except round.

I’ll bet first thing you need to do is eat healthy I’m not trying to bash but you can NOT out run a fork.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dave123
Originally Posted By: blupupher

I’ll bet first thing you need to do is eat healthy I’m not trying to bash but you can NOT out run a fork.

A personal trainer I knew said it took the most strength to push yourself away from the table.

Some people are able to keep skinny better than others...

I'm on my feet 9 hours a day 5 days a week at the shop. Very little cardio but a decent amount of muscle work and steady movement. 5'10 160 lbs give or take a full belly. I've been the same size since high school.

That being said, I'm not in particularly "good" health. My cholesterol is a bit high, as is my BP. I'm 29 years old. Smoking, drinking, and a generally [censored] poor diet do wonders. My saving grace is that I don't have a huge appetite and can be comfortable on one meal a day, plus a light snack in the evening. Portion control is as much a factor as what's in those portions.

My father: he's been a radio talent for 35 years. Talk about a desk job. Entertaining yes, active no. However, he plays intramural soccer twice a week and does cardio when he can. Eats well, doesn't smoke rarely drinks more than a glass of wine. 65 going on 30.

The key to being on your feet is having good/quality work shoes. If your feet hurt -- your whole body hurts. Exercise as we get older is crucial. Accepting that were not as strong as we used to be is just being honest. Lifter lighter weights, do less pushups, etc... Just make sure your staying active is important. Mentally not just physically you have to want it.

Dale

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
Does this kind of job keep you fit? I've noticed I'm getting pretty weak lately. Yesterday I tried doing some pushups and did like 15 before it burned too much and I had to stop. I had no idea I was that bad. I used to be able to do 50 without a problem.

Maybe you have a vitamin deficiency ?

Originally Posted By: dave123
^^^this^^^

As someone who has recently dropped more weight than an average adult weighs in total, I can unequivocally say that you cannot and will not out exercise what you eat. I typically do 10km per day (usually more) and while it helps me maintain my weight, it was not what caused me to lose the weight and yes, you can lose the weight--NEVER think that you cannot.

Door to door parcel delivery worked for me. The more I delivered the more I earned. Btw every parcel had to be signed for - no throwing stuff in the porch for us!.
The top earners resembled good middle distance runners. I wasn't at the top, but I made a good living and was in better than average shape.

Claud.

Yes, provided you do more than stand. I worked as a morning-stocker for Menards for almost 2 years. 4 hours in the morning, constantly walking the department, moving carts around, etc. After about 6 weeks, with no changes in my eating habits, I noticed my pants were looser and when I weighed myself I'd lost 10lbs.

Work a heavy construction job for 30 years on your feet all day long. Most who do this have to quit because their knees are shot after that many years of doing that kind of work.

Not being able to do push ups like you used to has nothing to do with being on your feet. You've just lost your strength do to inactivity in those muscles that help you do that push up. Exercising with weights or just doing push ups will get you back where you were or at least better off than you are now.

As someone who works out I can tell you that it doesn't take too long to lose strength. I have back issues and need to take time away from lifting sometimes. Strength diminishes in just a few weeks. Cardio is the same way. A little time off is very noticeable when you get back at it. But also you can improve your strength in just a few weeks as well.

Originally Posted By: Sonic
Not being able to do push ups like you used to has nothing to do with being on your feet. You've just lost your strength do to inactivity in those muscles that help you do that push up. Exercising with weights or just doing push ups will get you back where you were or at least better off than you are now.

As someone who works out I can tell you that it doesn't take too long to lose strength. I have back issues and need to take time away from lifting sometimes. Strength diminishes in just a few weeks. Cardio is the same way. A little time off is very noticeable when you get back at it. But also you can improve your strength in just a few weeks as well.

+1

It's not that you aren't physically fit anymore, just that you lost strength in those muscles. I also have back issues where I have to take a break from the gym every once in a while, and when I get back everything feels VERY heavy.
lol.gif
Keep doing push ups and I bet in a few weeks you can do 50 again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back