Babied diesels

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are diesels supposed to be run hard? I've heard diesels will buildup carbon if they aren't run hard periodically. Although I'm not sure what that entails I can hit 1100 degrees without passing 10 pounds of boost on my truck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
Are diesels supposed to be run hard? I've heard diesels will buildup carbon if they aren't run hard periodically. Although I'm not sure what that entails I can hit 1100 degrees without passing 10 pounds of boost on my truck.

Two stroke diesels really need to be run hard, or they absolutely will carbon up.

Where's your pyrometer location? If you sit in too high of a gear you can also create unnecessary heat; meaning you don't have enough boost to keep the temperature down.

Pre turbo. I noticed that too. I can stick my foot in it and the temp will go down.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pre turbo. I noticed that too. I can stick my foot in it and the temp will go down.

I think this usually means you should step down one ex turbine housing size.

Cummins/Holset turbos are weird metric. I dropped from a 14cm3 to a 12cm2 and it made a nice difference.

I don't really trust post turbo EGT readings either. The whole point of monitoring it is so you don't melt a piston or drop a exhaust valve seat. Guessing with calculations is just that....Guessing!

You still have your emissions? When I still had mine, my 7.5 6.7 would turn into more of a dog each day I drove it nice and easy.

Always got best fuel economy and power by making sure to stick my foot in it kind of regularly.

Might still be true. I don't know because I always stick my foot in it on the regular since I deleted.

Out turbine housings are too small. Notorious. Increasing the size is incredible for reducing drive pressure and EGT's, while taking on more power. Quite a few companies that punch them out to 66mm.

I had a 2015 Ford Focus 1.5TDCi which I owned myself. I put 66k on it using only BP Ultimate or Shell V-Power diesel, I nursed it from day one and never really gave it a hard time. It spent most of its life with me at 70mph with cruise control on. I even moved from the OEM 5w30 WSS-M2C913D oil and started using an ACEA C3 oil for blthe higher HTHS and less SAPS to clog the DPF and inlet manifold and run 5k OCIs

The car was forever having issues, stuttering, hesitation and dumping diesel into the oil.

I now have a company car. A 2016 Ford Focus 1.5TDCi which gets serviced every 12.5k, gets run on supermarket diesel and I beat the life out of the poor thing. It's quieter, faster and so far has been much more reliable!

Back on topic! Sheesh. Lol

I will no longer post to any of your threads, I was trying to help...I have a lot of 6BT/ISB experience.

Many mechanics, including some i know, when they get a diesel that is running rough in the shop still go out on the highway for about half an hour or 45 minutes and drive them hard, a.k.a revving them hard on each gear change, from what they tell me a lot of people just don't drive them hard or long enough and the EGR valves and DPFs clog up with soot.
Here in Spain Diesels account for over half of all cars, and people like to lug them around in high gear all day.

Originally Posted By: clinebarger
Back on topic! Sheesh. Lol

I will no longer post to any of your threads, I was trying to help...I have a lot of 6BT/ISB experience.

No you're fine man, I just didn't want the thread to get side tracked talking about turbo chargers.

Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver
Many mechanics, including some i know, when they get a diesel that is running rough in the shop still go out on the highway for about half an hour or 45 minutes and drive them hard, a.k.a revving them hard on each gear change, from what they tell me a lot of people just don't drive them hard or long enough and the EGR valves and DPFs clog up with soot.
Here in Spain Diesels account for over half of all cars, and people like to lug them around in high gear all day.

Does that hold true for the older diesels too?

That's a very good question. Back in the day, long before any of this emissions business, my dad would never short trip his diesels. If they weren't going to be on a good highway run, they weren't used. Whether it mattered, I'll never know.

Is it considered hard if it's constantly used in start-stop driving? I've seen many large fleets switch to gas engines recently most notably UPS. When I saw a UPS driver giving it the beans it was a head turner since the engine and exhaust definitely sounded like a GM LS engine.

Last edited:
I drive my diesel pickup like any gas vehicle. Short trips to take kids to school, etc. Only had a cat from factory, but the entire OEM exhaust rusted out. So it doesnt even have a cat anymore. 05 Dodge Cummins.

Last edited:
In the marine world, diesels on commercial boats that run thousands of hours a year tend to be run at 200 RPM below maximum rated RPM when at cruise. When stopped and working, pulling pots or towing nets they keep running at a lower RPM.

I have been on commercial boats with an engine block that has been in the boat running for over 30, if not 40 years. A few major overhauls were performed over that time period I would imagine. Eventually those blocks will be retired.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back