Pocket pistol recommendation needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I am in the market for a new pocket pistol. I am 5”6, 145 lbs and smallish frame. I am looking for a pocket pistol that I can take out on the trails when walking my dogs. In my area my concerns are coyotes and two legged critters. I have always owned 9mm and 380, I would love to use a 380 however I am unsure about stopping power of the 380 vs wildlife.
Any suggestions?

Sig P238

Animals are smarter than people, they will leave after the noise and or pain.

My liking would run along the lines of a S&W Model 60 in .357 and you could run 38's in it if you found it to be too much for you. Without a doubt it would stop anything you're talking about.

Originally Posted By: FirstNissan
Hi, I am in the market for a new pocket pistol. I am 5”6, 145 lbs and smallish frame. I am looking for a pocket pistol .... I would love to use a 380

I really like my Kel-Tec P3AT - for what it is.

It is a pocket pistol, but most certainly NOT my "every day carry".

I have a Diamondback DB9. Controversial little gun. Mine has fed a ton of ammo reliably, many DB owners have had issues. I trust mine with hornady XTP, it always runs flawless on it. Mine was worth the $200 and it is truly a no print pocket 9mm.

If you get one shoot it a lot and ensure its reliable. Also buy the newest version you can as there have been updates.

Last edited:
I like the idea of a S&W revolver like JJ mentioned. Short barrel would make a nice pocket weapon. Don’t worry much about stopping power, .38 was used for many years and protected a lot of people.

380 is fine> Gov. Perry shot a coyote that attacked his dog. In Europe, most of the police carried the 380.

Probably depends on the size of the pocket it's going to ride in.

I know a Rottweiler that got shot in the face at close range with a 9mm, vet removed the bullet from her gum the next morning, she did fine.

Seems to me like the only responsible answer is "it depends" meaning your skill level, what you think you might realistically encounter, and how your preferences run. My opinion is most of the speculation I read on "stopping power" is anecdotal at best, my observations and experience suggest that the "numbers" are a rough guide at best.

I've seen not much power at all permanently dissuade and seen tremendous power take way too much time to be effective.

I've also seen some very small people shoot some very big guns with no difficulty.

Any chance the Taurus Judge would work for you? The .410 defense rounds are impressive, and the .45 Colt is fairly mild. Nowhere near as unpleasant to shoot at the .357 or .44Mag, significantly greater short range effectiveness than the 9 or the .380.

Recommend
Ruger LCP
Ruger LCP 2
Ruger LCR .38 special (not very pocket-able, the Smith J-Frames are much better in the pocket)
Smith & Wesson 340 .357 Mag
Smith & Wesson 442/642 .38 Special
Smith & Wesson Shield 9MM (not pocket-able)
Smith & Wesson bodyguard .380
Glock 42 .380
Glock 43 9MM
Glock 26 9MM
Walther PPS 9MM
NAA Mini revolver 22 magnum (DEEP pocket carry, backup gun, ALWAYS have a gun, even in gym shorts)

Not recommended (my opinion, and experience)
Taurus anything
Kahr anything
Judge revolver (rolls eyes, really people?)
Beretta Nano/Pico (junk, flawed design)
Diamondback anything (worse than junk)
Remington pocket monstrosity

Originally Posted By: FirstNissan
I am looking for a pocket pistol that I can take out on the trails when walking my dogs.... In my area my concerns are coyotes and two legged critters. .....I would love to use a 380 however I am unsure about stopping power of the 380 vs wildlife.

.380 is fine against coyotes and two legged critters.

Honestly, a J-Frame airweight revolver or small .380 is perfect for what you are looking for.

There is a Youtube video of the above mentioned Buffalo Bore 100 grain .380 hard cast ammo. Actually in both the regular and +P version.
Both of those rounds penetrate stupid deep. The Beretta Pico is rated for .380 +P ammo. +P .380 is not recognized by Saami if it matters.

Buffalo Bore also makes some hot .380 +P hollow points.

The new Sig P365 looks promising. It's a small 9 MM. It's larger than I'd wanna carry myself however.

Nothing wrong with a revolver, they tend to be more reliable. Just don't get a 9MM Ruger LCR as bullets can and do un crimp themselves from the casing
jamming the cylinder.

Here is my biggest problem with the .380. Any .380. I have very large hands. So these tiny pocket pistols, like these little cheap plastic Ruger LCP's and the like are far too small for me to grip properly, let alone hit anything with. Not to mention the so called "sights" they give you on them are nothing but a total joke.

So based on that, the only .380 I would even consider for self defense would be one of the Beretta Cheetah Models. Most likely a double stack version. And they aren't much, if any smaller than my Glock 26, 9 MM. So why bother? I'll just stick with what I've already got. The 9 MM is a better performer anyway.

Originally Posted By: CCI
Probably depends on the size of the pocket it's going to ride in.

Any chance the Taurus Judge would work for you? The .410 defense rounds are impressive, and the .45 Colt is fairly mild. Nowhere near as unpleasant to shoot at the .357 or .44Mag, significantly greater short range effectiveness than the 9 or the .380.

A Judge?

That's got to be one gigantic pocket, to fit that beast!

The smallest thing that I can shoot comfortably is the Glock 43.

Don't know if that qualifies as "pocket" in the OP's case since the term is somewhat subjective. The G43 offers 9mm performance, outstanding reliability, good sights in a slim, single stack 9mm frame. It's bigger than the LCP, but like many others here, I just can't shoot that little thing effectively.

In any analysis of "what gun for me?" The combination of shooter, weapon, and caliber is what makes that gun (and so, recommendation) effective or appropriate.

Typical firearm recommendation discussions center on the biggest caliber that the shooter can still shoot effectively. This time, it's more a matter of the smallest frame that the shooter can shoot effectively.

For me, the most concealable gun that I can shoot (big hands, like others) is the G43. I like the J-frame, and can shoot it reasonably well, but the cylinder adds a bit of bulk and I prefer the single stack 9.

My advice, since it matters only what you, the OP, can shoot well, is to try some of these firearms on the range. It may feel great in your hand, only to be unmanageable in recoil or operation. My local range will let you rent a gun for $17. But, they let you swap it out for as many different models as you like under that rental. So, for example, one day, I rented a S&W M&P Shield 9mm, a Glock 43, and a Walter CCP. All for the same fee.

Money well spent.

Ruger LCP or Kel-Tec P3AT 380

I have both. They are very similar but the Ruger looks higher quality. I bought the Kel-Tec P3AT first and all my family now carries the Ruger.

These are "pocket" pistols.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back