How to clean gearbox bellhousing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,
Today I pulled out my gearbox to my bmw 135i for a clutch replacement. The inside is dirty and I'd like to clean it up before new parts go in. I'd like to know what I can use to fix xlean up the inside of my bell housing? The following link at 9 minutes and40secs the mechanic uses a spray and does a pretty good cleaning up the housing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85pchUDgCSQ&t=344s I did call the company whom performed the clutch replacement in that video but no one knows. It looks like it was mixed, because if it was brake cleaner it'd be from a can. Any idea on what I can use ?
Myles

Use brake cleaner..CRC or supertech will clean it up.

Last edited:
I need all the brain cells I have left. I think I would try some Simple Green type stuff, some hot water and a stiff brush. How clean does a bell housing need to be? Back in the old days there was a 5 gallon bucket with a gallon or so of leaded gas in it. We pre-cleaned with that. E 10 is like bath soap compared to reg'lar. Also there was a nasty parts cleaner, you mixed with kerosene. It was a petroleum based detergent like floor wax stripper.

I'd use maroon scotch-brite dipped in mineral spirits. Final rinse with brake clean.
For small areas I'd use an acid brush and tooth brush dipped in mineral spirits.
Lots of shop towels to soak up the grime/mineral spirits soup.

gasoline is for washing car parts, alcohol is for drinking, nitro is for racing.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: andyd
I need all the brain cells I have left. I think I would try some Simple Green type stuff, some hot water and a stiff brush.

^^^^ THIS ^^^^

It's a bellhousing.
It's never has to be "super clean"
because there is NO NEED for it to be.

Not rocket science, here....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back