Night vision scope corroded batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently bought a nice Browning BAR 30-06 that has a 1st gen AMT night vision scope on it. The guy sold it claiming if it worked it was a bonus because he didn't anything about them but that the batteries were quite corroded. I but a small amount of car battery neutralizer down it and then followed later with kroil. Have tried dental picks but so far no luck. Any suggestion for getting these out.

I am considering drilling through them possibly even tapping with my hammer drill and flat surface first to break them free. Seem to be aluminum tubes if that matters.

You could try 50/50 acetone/atf as a last resort. Heating it, applying penentrant, hitting it with a punch and then letting it soak might do it.

I would try chemical solutions for a while, like cycling the above a few times over a week or two before I resulted to mechanically removing the batteries. You might be able to drill them and spin the batteries out after weeks of penetrating oil.

Many companies will repair it for you if you send it back. I don’t know anything about that brand, but assuming they are like other optic manufacturers I deal with, they will likely repair or even replace it. I’d call them up before you do anything. Also, if you can get the batteries out to see which brand and date code on them, the battery company could just write you a check to buy a new one. I know Duracell is good at writing checks for damaged equipment, almost no questions asked.

So even though the scope was a freebie, you have a very real chance of getting ahead here.

Tried calling AMT and they said they no longer provide support for this line of scope. They offered no other option and were pretty rude about it. Based on this 1 experience I would think twice before buying another one of the niche products that just don't get used that often by most that own them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back