Fram White label/ OEM JC Whitney?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UncleDave

$100 Site Donor 2024
Whats inside this silver filter/ how is it constructed if I were to cut it open?

It's the same part number as the XG 7317's I store up - but labeled an Extended Guard ?

Thanks!

UD

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
Old stock. Should be similar if not same construction.

I thought maybe it was NOS as well.

JJ- yeah Im in no way going to be buying from either of these two, but was just curious about the find.

UD

It's an interesting choice not to rev the part number on the newer models.

Pros and cons to doing it either way.

Thanks

UD

Originally Posted By: UncleDave

Configuration management is a bit different in the consumer world vs the aerospace world.

That line of filters has always had the XG prefix, only thing that changed was the name when inprovements were made to the filter design.

Originally Posted By: opus1
I'm curious on how they refurbish these...

They arent

- its new old stock apparently - "NOS"

UD

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: UncleDave

Configuration management is a bit different in the consumer world vs the aerospace world.

That line of filters has always had the XG prefix, only thing that changed was the name when inprovements were made to the filter design.

Im actually in the TV/Film business vs aerospace. Well thats my day job anyway.

For fun I own a boat (one of 3 guys) manufacturing company that has classic glass shop skills we leverage into parts businesses.

UD

I was just saying something like the aerospace world is super tight on configuration management to make a point. If the color of something changed it would have a different dash number on the part number. Not so in the oil filter world.

Look at other filter manufactures too ... Purolator changed their filter line 3 times over the last 15 years, and they use all the same old filter numbers. 98% of the population doesn't' understand configuration management, so just think how confusing it would be to them if there were only slight design changes made on the same filter that resulted in 3 or 4 different filter numbers over a short period of time. It would be a nightmare for the filter manufacturer also to keep track and data base/catalog of all the extra filter numbers.

Yeah I get the complexity factor completely.

We sell to the military and medical verticals and often get specific versioning requests in each vertical which is always fun.

What doesn't happen in my business is that gear doesn't get sold by the pallet (or whatever bulk packaging is common for filters) then sit in a warehouse what are these 2-3 years old? if they don't move only to be sold later by someone else. No one buys beyond 30 days need.

Seems pretty common in this market to have two otherwise differently named products that look different but use the same part number.

thanks!

UD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back