Oil Pre luber's - oil accumulator vs electric pump

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been researching quite a bit about pre lubers, seeing that they pretty much eliminate start up wear which is important to me. However I'm having a hard time deciding which set up to choose, I'm leaning towards the geared pump. I never knew about an electric pre oiler, got idea from this video below here. Maybe I'm late to game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=de4ypzHHAa8&t=118s

Advantagess of electric pump imo are

- more compact
- ability to mount in engine bay
- can use shorter hoses, therefore less pressure drop.
- Overall simpler

Disadvantages are

- Requires electrical power, the big pumps can be quite thirsty amperage wise
- A cheap chinese pump can work, but they're noisy and unreliable, USA/CANADA pumps are costly unless buying used

Advantages of oil accumulator are

- Passive system that requires little to no electricity to work
- added oil capacity
- compensates for going uphill, in tight corners etc

What are you guys thoughts?

Last edited:
Skip the pre oiling nonsense.
My thoughts are your better off buying an oil with a thinner cold viscosity like a 5W40 rather than a 15W40 as an example.

I don't understand the nonsense about it. The pre oiling in the video eliminated the chain slap on the Ford ranger. It's doing something useful in his experience.
Even thinner oil won't stop the seconds of metal to metal contact at start up, sure it will reduce it, but it won't eliminate it completely.

Last edited:
I have been using one for over 30 years in an E-150. Instant oil pressure before the turn of the key, no matter how long the engine sits. I have a dash mounted toggle switch, I flip it and watch the oil pressure build, then start the engine. I bought it because at the time my vehicle sat for weeks/months at a time without getting started. It picks the oil up from a special plug which replaces the oil plug, it goes through a very fine screen into the pump, exits the pump, and feeds the oil through a 90* fitting that goes into the area where the oil pressure sending unit goes. The oil sending unit sits on top. No matter how long the vehicle sits it starts w/o a tick or a tap, with instant oil pressure.

You can even hook it up so it starts pumping when you turn the ignition key. I like toggle switch idea better. It can also be used to cool off an engine by circulating oil prior to shutting it down.

I had this old pic hanging around from a brochure that came with it. IF you're handy and can access a pump strong enough you can probably make your own.

Funny it should be a marine pre-luber. This is a lot more common than people might expect.

Great thing about using those systems is that you can plumb in a valve that will alow you to use it as an oil change pump. Attach a hose, turn a switch, and power it up. Oil comes out.......fast.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Funny it should be a marine pre-luber. This is a lot more common than people might expect.

Great thing about using those systems is that you can plumb in a valve that will alow you to use it as an oil change pump. Attach a hose, turn a switch, and power it up. Oil comes out.......fast.

There is somewhere in the literature about the use of quick connect fittings on mine to do just that. I never bothered, but in some vehicles and marine applications it would be a big plus.

I've run both setups and the simple accumulator is the easiest. It also helps at the track with any oil starvation during high g cornering. No wiring or switches, no electronics.

Just a little tricky to get the oil level correct!

Overall, the electric pump cane be done for far less if one desires. The accumulators all leave you to the mercy of overpriced gas tubes. Costs are a deciding factor for me.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Diesel_Mercedes
Overall, the electric pump cane be done for far less if one desires. The accumulators all leave you to the mercy of overpriced gas tubes. Costs are a deciding factor for me.

As long as you understand how to fix them. Wiring and control boxes and complexity galore.

Far fewer failure points on my accumulator setup...

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I have been using one for over 30 years in an E-150. Instant oil pressure before the turn of the key, no matter how long the engine sits. I have a dash mounted toggle switch, I flip it and watch the oil pressure build, then start the engine. I bought it because at the time my vehicle sat for weeks/months at a time without getting started. It picks the oil up from a special plug which replaces the oil plug, it goes through a very fine screen into the pump, exits the pump, and feeds the oil through a 90* fitting that goes into the area where the oil pressure sending unit goes. The oil sending unit sits on top. No matter how long the vehicle sits it starts w/o a tick or a tap, with instant oil pressure.

You can even hook it up so it starts pumping when you turn the ignition key. I like toggle switch idea better. It can also be used to cool off an engine by circulating oil prior to shutting it down.

I had this old pic hanging around from a brochure that came with it. IF you're handy and can access a pump strong enough you can probably make your own.

30 years. Wow. So how many miles on your set up now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back