2007 Cobalt SS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sold my 2001 Tahoe this weekend......Got a thousand more than I paid plus this 2007 Cobalt SS, LSJ supercharged 2.0L/F35 5-speed manual.
Has a few issues.....
It's dirty....REALLY dirty!
Electric Power Steering does not work, No communication with EPS Module.
Buzz Bomb muffler, Having trouble locating a stock one.
Cold Air intake, Also having trouble finding a stock one.
Mismatched tires.
Needs brakes struts.

I'm thinking of making it my daily driver/Beater. It may take a few months to get it back in shape. Input is welcome!.......I think I will remove the huge rear spoiler!

Msoe79k.jpg

qFbYJdi.jpg

Those were/are a nice sport compact. There might be a recall for the power steering? Check into it.
That was one of the first budget sport compacts to come with 18" tires. Those tires were very expensive to replace at the time.
List the intake and muffler on craigslist in auto parts section. Put a cheap price on them to get views from Colbalt SS owners and say will trade for stock.

No doubt you will whip it in to shape …
It will cost a bunch up front … but somewhere down the road it would look sharp with darker wheels …

Talk about strange … ‘13 Cruze electric steering went out a couple months ago so took it to dealer … they tested and said just needs new battery. Well, it was still cranking the engine ~ got an AC Delco battery and it’s just fine now …

Last edited:
Cool car. I remember when these came out, Motortrend really liked them! I want to say they liked the performance better than a Golf GTI.

Look under the hood for a large fuse or fuse-able link related to the power steering. Could just be corrosion on the end of these things.

Originally Posted By: clinebarger
I think I will remove the huge rear spoiler!

Man don't do that,I think those oem spoilers are what make the SS look SWEET!
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Those were/are a nice sport compact. There might be a recall for the power steering? Check into it.
That was one of the first budget sport compacts to come with 18" tires. Those tires were very expensive to replace at the time.
List the intake and muffler on craigslist in auto parts section. Put a cheap price on them to get views from Colbalt SS owners and say will trade for stock.

There is a recall, But only for the Assist Motor.......

I checked Power & Ground at the EPS Module.....No Ignition Power was present, Found the EPC fuse missing, Put a new fuse in.
I now have communication with the EPS Module!! But, Still no Assist!

Here's what I do know at this point (I haven't messed with EPS before but a quick study).
*No codes present after clearing the codes in the module.
*60amp (main power) fuse is good & I have battery power at the Module.
*Torque Sensors in the steering column are responding to input torque both directions.
*Steering Wheel position sensor seems correct & responses to input.
*The Module IS applying power & ground to the Assist Motor per the Tech 2 scanner.....Confirmed with a DVOM both directions (switches polarity like it should)
*Jacked up the car....No binding in the steering components that I can feel turning the wheels by hand

I'm pretty sure the Assist Motor is wore out or just bad. I called my local Chevy Dealer (Bruce Lowrie Chevrolet) & talked to a service adviser. He checked if the recall had been performed per the VIN, It HAS NOT.
As soon as I get it titled in my name....Off to the dealer it goes.

Kind of a catch 22 here.....I can't get it registered without a current safety/emission test & I can't get a safety inspection without power steering. I guess I will just title it...Tow it to the dealer....Have it inspected.....Then get it registered.

Thanks for the info!!

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I think I will remove the huge rear spoiler!

Man don't do that,I think those oem spoilers are what make the SS look SWEET!
cheers3.gif

At first, I thought it was a aftermarket modification, Turns out it's factory. Man....That is one LOUD spoiler!!

Originally Posted By: MCompact
An outstanding and underappreciated sport compact.

Agreed.

Actually, I'd almost be willing to bet that these will become highly sought after as the years progress, due to their high performance and low cost. Values could increase.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
No doubt you will whip it in to shape …
It will cost a bunch up front … but somewhere down the road it would look sharp with darker wheels …

Talk about strange … ‘13 Cruze electric steering went out a couple months ago so took it to dealer … they tested and said just needs new battery. Well, it was still cranking the engine ~ got an AC Delco battery and it’s just fine now …

I wouldn't go through the trouble on this car, I'll clean it up & it will be mechanically sound. I strive for perfection on my Camaro & don't have time for that drama on a 2nd car. My 2500HD is closing in on 400,000 miles & is one major failure away from being parted out.

Fairly rare car, pretty good bang for your buck. I also think it may hold its value well as it ages, but these cars are not known for aging well.

I'd clean it up and sell it for a profit to some boy racer...

I like it except for the shopping car handle on the car trunk.
smile.gif

I'm sure you'll have it looking and running nice in now time. Little brother to the Camaro that you restored.

Originally Posted By: oilpsi2high
Oh yeah, if that recall hasn't been done then that motor is definitely shot.

Here's my SS. 141,000 miles.

I'm pretty sure it's shot, I'll get it to the dealer soon. That's a nice car, Thanks for sharing!

Found a Cobalt SS in a wreaking yard.....Going this weekend to check it for the factory pieces I need.

I'm pretty sure it's shot, I'll get it to the dealer soon. That's a nice car, Thanks for sharing!

Found a Cobalt SS in a wreaking yard.....Going this weekend to check it for the factory pieces I need.

I have some spare OEM parts from my car, send me a PM and I might be able to help you out.

I have some spare OEM parts from my car, send me a PM and I might be able to help you out.

PM sent, Thanks man!

What tires do you like? I was eyeing the BFgoodrich G-Force Comp-2 A/S 215/45/18.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back