Oil Recommendation for an '86 Nissan D21

Status
Not open for further replies.
My dad and I have decided we're going to fix up our old family truck and get it to tip top shape in case we need a backup vehicle. The truck will be run ~5-10k miles a YEAR and will most likely sit for the remainder of the time. It's a 1986 D21 with the 3.0 VG30e v6 engine, 5 sp manual, 2wd with about 160k on the clock. What oil and filter should I throw in there? We were just using bulk quick lube conventional until it started sitting. The truck uses no oil that I can tell and no leaks. I plan on doing 1 oil change per year. The truck is for the most part mechanically sound, just not cosmetically. It does get a lifter tick on initial startup, but goes away once oil pressure builds. I was thinking M1 EP 10w30 with an Ultra filter since it will only be changed once a year. Recommendations?

What is the recommendation on a filter? I think I'm most concerned with condensation.

If you live near Laredo,,most likely u could run whatever wgt oil you want,straight 30 weight comes to mind,,but most good old 10/30 any major brand would be fine

Last edited:
When was your timing belt replaced? The Nissan VG-series engine is an interference engine. After 9 years, a failed timing belt destroyed my mom's 1985 Nissan Maxima. I suggest getting all OEM parts and replace the water pump when you are replacing the belt.

You shouldn't be worried about using bulk oil from quick lubes. Most Nissan V6 engines are known to go 220,000 miles using whatever bulk oil was on sale, so long as all other maintenance was performed.

High mileage oil does sound like a good idea. Walmart sells Havoline high mileage at a great price everyday.

I suggest getting a Motorcraft filter for an early Mercury Villager. They used a VG30E engine and Motorcraft filters are high quality. The filter might not be that easy to get because the Mercury Villager is almost extinct. Don't get a filter from a later model of Mercury Villager, they had a VG33E engine which used a different kind of filter.

You might have a VG30I engine instead of a VG30E engine. VG30I engines have "Electro Injection" written on the air cleaner and use throttle body injection. It isn't as good as multi port fuel injection, but it is better than having a carb.

I need to see if the timing belt has ever been done. Looks easy from forums. I stand corrected; I do have the 'i' VG30. I confused the 'e' for Electro-Injection. Good catch!!

My 1994 Pathfinder has over 275k miles on it now, it uses the same motor as your D21, and lived on dealer/quick lube bulk oil most of its life until I started doing it myself. I would stick to the 5w30 spec'd by the factory. I found 10w30 made mine noisier on cold starts. As for filters I'd use any filter you prefer. I tend to use the Fram TG3692 or XG3682 as they're readily available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back