Alfa Romeo Giulia Maintenance Schedule

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went to the Chicago Auto Show yesterday, it was a great experience. I've been before and normally it is unbelievably busy, so busy where you sometimes don't even get into a car you're interested in unless you're willing to wait 15 minutes while simultaneously pushing your way through a mob of people. Yesterday was the complete opposite, I think due to the snow we had it kept some people off the roads, consequently we could basically just walk up to the car we were interested in and take a seat.

I know (I think) that I'll be replacing the Monte within the next 12-24 months and I've been able to bring myself down to two replacements. Either an SRT Charger or the Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti Sport. For some reason I've been tossing around the idea of a hot hatch but I can't just bring myself to do it, though the new Civic Type R is enticing in an obnoxiously awesome kind of way.

I had an '07 Charger and absolutely loved it, ever since I got rid of it I've been dying to get back into one. However, I promised myself it would be an SRT. I've seen a few pop up around me that definitely get me excited, but there's been this little voice inside me that just goes "ehh". So at the show yesterday, I sat in a gorgeous SRT Daytona. Thinking I'd be hit with nostalgia, I was wrong. I sat in the cab and didn't "feel" anything. I had been here before, wasn't new or exciting, there was no emotion to it. I respect the SRT for what it is and do truly like the car a lot, but I just wasn't grabbed by it.

This would be my first experience with a Giulia, but not Alfa. I grew up in Italy so I've definitely been around my fair share. Since their return to the U.S. was announced, I've been anticipating getting to feel one out. My wife and I sat in the car and both were taken aback. The attention to detail is very evident. I instantly felt attached to the car, it's a little hard to describe but the seats wrap around you in a way where it's not restrictive but you feel as though you've been welded to the vehicle. The cabin just makes sense, everything is within arms reach and beautifully appointed. Even little things like a glove box were designed with Italian fashion in mind, it's lined in Velvet! Now, I didn't get to drive it so I can't report on that aspect, but from an initial touch and feel session. I fell in love.

This super long introduction isn't needed but I had to share; the main point is the following. I pulled up the manual today to do some additional research, talk about deviating from the norm! They're using an OLM that uses 10,000 miles or 1 year as a maximum interval for their OCI (0w30 meeting FIAT 9.55535.GS1), for everything else though, there is a strict mileage or time interval.
  • Air Filter - 3 Years or 30k miles
  • Fuel Filter (secondary) - 1 year or 10k miles
  • Brake Fluid - 2 Years, regardless of mileage
  • Cabin Filter - 2 Years or 20k miles
  • Spark Plugs - 3 Years or 30k miles
  • Coolant - 15 Years or 150k miles
  • Serpentine Belt - 4 Years or 36k miles

While this isn't a maintenance note, I figured you'd get a kick out of this next part. If the vehicle is in negative -20*F temperature and the engine block heater isn't plugged in, the vehicle won't let you start it. The temperature either needs to increase or you need to plug in the block heather, once the computer senses that the block is warm enough, then it will let you start the vehicle.

Gotta love the Italians!

Giulia is beautiful.

I am toying with an idea of Charger SRT as well, but have not been able to test drive one yet.

Giulia is a possibility, too, but I told myself I don't want a 4-cyl engine, and the V6 Giulia costs more than I'm comfortable spending. Plus the whole Fiat reliability scares me a bit. I mean, yeah, the Charger is made by Fiat as well, but anyone can work on a Charger.
smile.gif

Was Kia Stinger at the show, too? Have you sat in it? If so, what did you think?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Giulia is beautiful.

I am toying with an idea of Charger SRT as well, but have not been able to test drive one yet.

Giulia is a possibility, too, but I told myself I don't want a 4-cyl engine, and the V6 Giulia costs more than I'm comfortable spending. Plus the whole Fiat reliability scares me a bit. I mean, yeah, the Charger is made by Fiat as well, but anyone can work on a Charger.
smile.gif

Was Kia Stinger at the show, too? Have you sat in it? If so, what did you think?

That is EXACTLY my thought on the Quadrifoglio. If I was looking for a summer only vehicle and I had 15% more purchasing power, then I'd be interested in it. This is going to be a new daily driver though, an AWD Ti is perfect for that.

Yes, they did have the Stinger. 3 of them actually, two of them were customs and secluded. One was available for public interaction and people certainly swarmed it. I however didn't sit in it so unfortunately can't give any feedback.

P.S. I know that there are two SRT Challengers at Ray Chevy in Fox Lake. One in Plum Crazy which looked pretty clean at the very quick glance I had. Perhaps you could give that a whirl as the driving dynamics are quite similar to the Charger.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Old Mustang Guy
The fuel filter and a spark plug intervals seem really short.

They do but I wouldn't skimp on PM in a Fiat.

Originally Posted By: Leo99

The fuel filter is only is you have an optional secondary filter. If you don't select that as an option then there is no filter to change. With regards to the plugs, this is apparently because of the boost pressure from the turbo. Just started reading into it today so I've not gotten very detailed specifics.

Originally Posted By: RamFan
Originally Posted By: Leo99

The fuel filter is only is you have an optional secondary filter. If you don't select that as an option then there is no filter to change. With regards to the plugs, this is apparently because of the boost pressure from the turbo. Just started reading into it today so I've not gotten very detailed specifics.

More like sales pressure from the service manager for some upsells

Last edited:
Those numbers seem all over the place. Coolant that is good for 150k, ok--but 15 years? Only 36k on the air filter?

Seems odd to me, but I'm guessing they had a reason. At least you'd know all of this going in.

If your dealer is close, go for it, although it COULD be a money pit.

If no dealers nearby, pass on it. (Run).

I had an Alfa. Purchased it far away. Nobody local could work on it. Be careful what you wish for. You may get it. 😡😡.

Don't know what kind of price you can get from your local dealers, if any, but the largest discounts I found was at DaveSmithMotors.com You fly out, they pick you up at the airport 50-60 miles away, then you drive home. Yes, davesmithmotors.com is an Alfa dealer, even though they are located in the middle of nowhere. Last time I looked, they had 40 or 50 in stock.

A local lady here has 4 cylinder Red Giulia with Tan Interior. Beautiful. She told me she had to look far and wide to find one with the tan interior. Lots of them with black interior.

Alfa ownership takes a lot of dedication, which most lack. But it has its own rewards.

I don't think that has changed in the many years since we had our Berlina.

I really like the Giulia, but wish there was a Goldilocks option with a milder V6 to slot between the four and QV.

The Stinger is nice, but it's big, doesn't feel roomy for its size, and hard to see out of (which is not uncommon with most vehicles now, especially with these 4 door "coupes"). When put head to head, the reviews have been mixed, but the Koreans are certainly making lots of progress.

Or, if you didn't want to potentially deal with Italian car reliability issues, you could wait a few months, and buy a 2018 Mazda 6 Signature.
250 hp, 310 lbs-ft, and a great looking car, inside and out.

BC.

Originally Posted By: RamFan

While this isn't a maintenance note, I figured you'd get a kick out of this next part. If the vehicle is in negative -20*F temperature and the engine block heater isn't plugged in, the vehicle won't let you start it. The temperature either needs to increase or you need to plug in the block heather, once the computer senses that the block is warm enough, then it will let you start the vehicle.

Gotta love the Italians!

Acura RLX Hybrid is like that too. Too cold and it wont start. Does not even have the option to plug it in to warm it up to get it started either.

As for the maintenance, looks pretty much normal for any high performance car. This is not a Camry.

3 years or 30K miles for spark plugs? Why the time limitation? Last time I checked spark plugs don't really degrade via time. Decent for the coolant though.

Dang, that schedule makes my Corolla look like it is built to be indestructible....

....oh...I see what I did there...
45.gif

Originally Posted By: gofast182
Not to rain on your parade but many non-Italian brands have been lining their glove boxes with velvet for years.

Hey now, don't ruin it for me! j/k

No, I know that things like this are done across the spectrum, the glove box just kind of stuck out to me. Similar to how my CX-5 has sound deadening material lining the wheel wells. I know it's not uncommon but it's still a neat feature that shows certain detail elements that were considered.

Originally Posted By: Smokescreen
Dang, that schedule makes my Corolla look like it is built to be as boring as humanly possible....

45.gif

There, I fixed that for you.

BC.

Being an alfa, what is the scheduled frequency of sweeping up the piles of red dust beneath it ?

Sill replacement schedule ?

Originally Posted By: Bladecutter
Originally Posted By: Smokescreen
Dang, that schedule makes my Corolla look like it is built to be as boring as humanly possible....

45.gif

There, I fixed that for you.

BC.

01.gif
thumbsup2.gif
19.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back