Not Reporting Engine Codes

Status
Not open for further replies.
2013 Fiesta SE 1.6

OBD AutoDoctor 3.4.8 software

OBDLink LX Bluetooth OBD II scan tool

Is the Fiesta supposed to report Diagnostic Engine Codes?

Soon as I started the engine this evening, the wrench light came on and the
screen displayed Engine Malfunction Service Soon. Indeed there was a
throttle malfunction. No response to throttle position in it's midrange.

I ran OBD Auto Doctor software, clicked on Trouble Codes but got message "Confirmed Diagnostic Trouble
Codes -none

I drove the car for 30 minutes and saved the Data Log which I sent to OBD AutoDoctor. I got the following response by email:

"Thanks for the log. According to the log, it's very clear that your
car doesn't report any Diagnostic Trouble Codes. Unfortunately I don't
know the reason for not reporting."

The throttle problem would either be the position sensor in the throttle body, or the throttle pedal assembly, or possibly a bad connection between the two. Should OBD II report throttle pedal problems, or only throttle body problems?

I have had those places scan for that problem, but they could never get a read on it. They have been able to read other codes, just not throttle position codes. Thats why I bought my own device. I am thinking that there is code for the throttle position sensor, but not for the throttle pedal assy and/or connections between the two.

I am thinking maybe a wiring harness connector problem. Like maybe a loose fit inside the connector. This issue usually happens when there is an abrupt change in weather. A lot of times I can turn the engine off and then on. The wrench icon disappears, there is no longer malfunction notice in the display and the symptom does not occur. If the Wrench icon and the notice still display after I restart, I can do the proceedure to turn them off and again the symptom goes away.

The wrench light codes won't be picked up by a lot of cheap and aftermarket scanners. It's going to need a full featured scanner.

Most likely a failed throttle motor.

Whats cheap? I bought ScanTool 427201 OBDLink LX Bluetooth: Professional OBD-II Scan Tool for Android & Windows from Amazon. $62.99. It's not one of the $10 or $12 ones. Any suggestions. The usual culprit is the throttle position sensor in the throttle body. Usually it is a matter of moisture getting in and corroding the contacts.The Fiesta is the only ford that the sensor is not replaceable. You have to buy a new throttle body for $600.

The funny thing is that I can turn the ignition off and then restart and the wrench icon, "Engine Malfunction Service Now" message, and the symptom all disappear. That's like if you had a fever, took you temperature, removed the thermometer and all of a sudden you have no fever.

I have read that there are Ford proprietary codes. What are proprietary codes? are they the OBDII engine malfunction codes? What do you need to read them?

Originally Posted By: borgward
Whats cheap? I bought ScanTool 427201 OBDLink LX Bluetooth: Professional OBD-II Scan Tool for Android & Windows from Amazon. $62.99. It's not one of the $10 or $12 ones. Any suggestions. The usual culprit is the throttle position sensor in the throttle body. Usually it is a matter of moisture getting in and corroding the contacts.The Fiesta is the only ford that the sensor is not replaceable. You have to buy a new throttle body for $600.

The funny thing is that I can turn the ignition off and then restart and the wrench icon, "Engine Malfunction Service Now" message, and the symptom all disappear. That's like if you had a fever, took you temperature, removed the thermometer and all of a sudden you have no fever.

I have read that there are Ford proprietary codes. What are proprietary codes? are they the OBDII engine malfunction codes? What do you need to read them?

That would be a cheap scanner even at $62.99.

The throttle body should be a lot cheaper since almost all new Fords do not have replaceable sensors, plus there is an extended warranty on a lot of models.

Extended warranty would have cost me $3900 over the time elapsed from the time the factory warranty expired. That's at $100 a month. I think it was a lot more per month last time I checked. Also I would have to have considered all that the fine print would not pay for. Would the extended warranty pay for the part so I can DIY?

I agree the throttle body should be cheaper, but the price is about $600. Please let me know if there is anywhere I can get a new one for hundreds of $ less. I have not found any anywhere.

Nevermind, that one is expensive. There are a lot of Ford models that have an extended warranty on the throttle body, but yours must not be. The ones that are part of the extended warranty dropped in price dramatically, like under $100. I am on vacation now but I don't think I have ever sold one for a Fiesta so failures are pretty rare.

FWIW I had the problem in my wife's 2010 Mustang and it was the throttle body motor. Ford makes a rebuild kit for it so you don't have to replace the entire unit. Junkyard link The junkyard is definitely a consideration.

Not for the 2013 Fiesta. Been to the dealer and checked that out. Please let me know if you find that they do indeed have one for the fiesta.

Cardone PN 676023.

Not the right one? They only list two options. One for the SOHC engine which was never sold in North America and the one I listed, for the DOHC.

Looks like the right one. I hesitate to buy reman. It's only guaranteed for 12 months or 18,000 miles. I do not know if the throttle body is the problem. Could be the throttle pedal assy.

I still do not know what the proprietary codes are, what they report, and how to get them read. I have taken the car into parts houses when the wrench icon and malfunction notice were displayed and they could not get a code even though the notices were being displayed. I am trying to think how to eliminate what is causing the problem. Those places could get codes for other problems that came up, so why not this problem. I am reluctant to throw $100 plus replacing one component after another to diagnose the problem.

I would like to find junk yard throttle body if it is cheap enough so I can see if I can take it apart and see if I can do anything before tearing into the one on my car.

Originally Posted By: 14Accent
Rockauto sells a reman TB from Cardone for $100.

If its from Cardone count on replacing it multiple times before getting a good one if you ever do get one. That (and most other) code readers in that price range are inadequate at best for most foreign stuff and almost never read proprietary codes.

I would suggest taking it to a mechanic with a real scan tool or dealer and get the code(s) before guessing and buying parts.
You will probably need a real bidirectional scanner to relearn the throttle body after repairs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back