Pennzoil Platinum Euro 0w-40

Status
Not open for further replies.

wlk

Just changed the oil in the wife's 16 Jetta Sport 1.8l this morning with PP Euro 0w-40. Nothing really scientific about my thoughts of it other than the feel and pour of it. It felt very greasy/sticky/slick when it got on my hands(more so than previous oils) and poured very easily 20°f this morning. This is the 3rd oil change on it at 20k miles. 1st FF (Castrol Edge Pro 5w-40) changed at 3k with Castrol Edge 5w-40, ran that until 10k miles, to me it seamed very blackish and thin for 7k miles but was probably ok. Then I switched it to Mobil 1 Euro 0w-40 for this last 10k miles and I am sure it was technically ok but again extremely dark and thin to the eye. So I am trying the PP Euro and see how that goes. The only bummer is I missed it being on sale, was on sale last week at wallymarts at 22 bucks had to pay full price at $27 today. I'm sure the turbo beats the oil up causing the darkness, so I am going to watch it and if it gets too dark or thin for my liking I may just cut the oci's down to 5k miles. Like I said nothing scientific but at the change the PP Euro seams pretty nice. Time will tell.

Originally Posted By: wlk
so I am going to watch it and if it gets too dark or thin for my liking I may just cut the oci's down

Hard to tell much about the oil based on its color.

As far as it being thin, one potential cause could be excess fuel dilution, which is pretty common on turbo DI engines. And if you short trip a lot, that's going to make it even worse.

if you want the best oil for your 1.8T jetta use a real synthetic like Redline. 200,000 on my 2001 jetta 1.8T non direct injected of course, also in Pa + using Redline 10-30 changed at 10,000 intervals + it still had 20 lbs on the vac-boost gauge at trade in time for a 2001 audi TT 1.8T 225Q roadster!!! this was a modified 300 ft lb + 275 hp engine that got used but not abused!!!

I just got a UOA on this oil from a 4k run in my new to me 2017 Tiguan 2.0t. I drive almost exclusively short trips, and previously have had Mobil 1 0w40 FS shear down in me. The Pennzoil held up well and did not shear, TBN stayed strong at 6.0. Viscosity was measured at 66.9//12.12.

Pennzoil Platinum Euro 0W-40 is in the 911 right now. Haven't put more than 15 feet on it since the oil change though.

We'll see how it does over 5k, I don't forsee a problem. Of course, I have a 9qt sump.

So I went to Walmart this evening and was shocked and disappointed. They had the 0w40 on Clearance for $21.00/5qt jugs and the single qts for $5.00. Sad i missed the sale but worried they are not going to carry it. Has anyone else seen these changes? Also they had clearanced several other lines- 3 dif Pennzoil Synthetics, all Mobil Super 5000's, QS 5w30 synthetic, a couple diesel oils, all the Castrol ATF'S and all the Supertech and Rotella oil filters.

Originally Posted By: wlk

I'll check that tomorrow if that's the case I will buy all they have, this is what's in my 2016 Beetle right now. Seems to be ok, I have had several cold 10-15F starts and really good quiet starts.

I need to get to a Walmart and check as well.

I finally put some miles on the oil and all seems well. It's as quiet as the Castrol and oil pressure is the same. We'll see how it does on consumption over time.

The Castrol 0W-40 was also $21 per 5qt jug at my local WalMart, just noticed it today. The individual quarts were priced $5 each.

Originally Posted By: drtyler
The Castrol 0W-40 was also $21 per 5qt jug at my local WalMart, just noticed it today. The individual quarts were priced $5 each.

I thought Walmart had uniform pricing everywhere? I was in a Niagara Falls, NY Walmart on Thursday and a Naples, Florida Walmart the very next day and both had Castrol 0w40 priced at $27.47 for the 5 quart jug. Being an oil nerd I even took a picture of it
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Patman
I thought Walmart had uniform pricing everywhere?
The regular price is the same in all Walmarts, but each Walmart can decide individually when to put certain items on sale.

Price label on the Castrol 0W-40 looked like the ones pictured earlier for the Pennzoil 0W-40, so it may be a discontinued item in my area.

If this Pennzoil is the same as Shell Helix Ultra 0w-40, then it's a good oil at a great price.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4376756/Re:_Shell_Helix_Ultra_0w-40

Originally Posted By: JR
pick up 6 jugs @ $13.00. so i have two services for the ol' 1997 powersmoke. not a bad buyharvey
Pennzoil Euro is a gasoline oil, not diesel. Are you using this in a diesel?

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
pick up 6 jugs @ $13.00. so i have two services for the ol' 1997 powersmoke. not a bad buyharvey

It can be used in older diesels without DPF/SCR.

Originally Posted By: Patman
I thought Walmart had uniform pricing everywhere? I was in a Niagara Falls, NY Walmart on Thursday and a Naples, Florida Walmart the very next day and both had Castrol 0w40 priced at $27.47 for the 5 quart jug. Being an oil nerd I even took a picture of it
smile.gif

It’s $21 if you buy online. They are trying to incentivize people to use the app and online store to combat Amazon. If you tell the cashier in WM they will price match it to the online price. I just did it for 2 jugs the other day.

https://www.shell.com/motorist/oils-lubr...ltra-0w-40.html

Acea A3/B4 = TBN 10min

HTHS= 3.5 min

Api CF=diesel spec. ACEA B4=diesel spec MB 229.5= Acea A3/B4 + additional MB requirements RN0700 & RN0710 = Acea A3/B4 +some additional Renault requirements...

PCMO for us...HDEO for you

So just dont panic...thank you
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kamele0N

https://www.shell.com/motorist/oils-lubr...ltra-0w-40.html

Acea A3/B4 = TBN 10min

HTHS= 3.5 min

Api CF=diesel spec. ACEA B4=diesel spec MB 229.5= Acea A3/B4 + additional MB requirements RN0700 & RN0710 = Acea A3/B4 +some additional Renault requirements...

PCMO for us...HDEO for you

So just dont panic...thank you
smile.gif

No panic on my part, I would not use it in a diesel, but that is just me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back