Mazda CX-9 startup grinding noise Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

I was going to work early today and it was 44 degrees outside. Car starts up and makes a brief grinding noise like in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSl3M3swnoY

Only happens when it is cold. They say it is the starter. Does this mean the starter is starting to die or is this an acceptable cold start issue? Thanks everyone.

JLTD, that crossed my mind which got me researching. Then a couple places said starter swap fixed it. Appreciate your help.

If it is the starter, I wonder if you can do what myself, and other subaru owners have done to fix their starter noises. I removed my starter and lubricated the shaft that the gear rides on, and the other moving parts in the starter. My start up noise was a little different than that noise, but maybe it's just because of the different starter design. I think the problem we had with our subies is that the starter stays temporarily engaged after the engine starts, due to lack of lubrication and the gear not moving back.

Something you could try before spending what looks like $150+ on a replacement starter.

Thanks sxg6. Will look into that. Started it 5 more times doing errands after work. Nothing...just seems to do it when cold.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back