GDI engines and oil changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good oil and proper OCIs seem critical. My GS350 has a dual injection system (High and low pressure injectors). The high pressure pump is driven off the camshaft. The place that sold it to me said a 5K oci is critical to keeping the car running well. The filled it with PP synth HM and said not to use anything else. I did some research and that seem to be the case.

http://www.underhoodservice.com/7-reasons-direct-injection-high-pressure-fuel-pumps-fail/

Thats a good oil I'd stick with. Still, I'd be curious if you could extend that out maybe 2500 miles. I'd do 1 UOA at 5k and see if you could get some more miles on that.

I have a DI Lexus and Blackstone said I was good for about 6.5K-7.0K

My thought is oil / filter changes are kind of like flushing a toilet . Both dispose of things you do not wish " hanging around " .

Our little Sonic does not have a turbo or GDI ( for which I am glad ) .

I change oil pretty frequently , partially because I wish to try to keep the little oil passages in the cam phaser assembly clean . The cam phaser is an expensive repair I wish to avoid .

Keeping the rest of the inside of the engine as clean as I can , is an additional benefit .

That appears to be a part that could actually benefit from one of the high efficiency oil filters as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back