Anyone here done MBA?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone here done a MBA? If so, how was your experience and was it worth it?

Any input in terms of online vs on-campus? Any thoughts?
thumbsup2.gif

My youngest son is a sophomore in college pursuing this degree. He likes it so far.
Sorry I can't put more of an answer to your question.

I did mine with concentration in Finance. MBAs are more broad based subject wise. Not sure how saturated the job market is with them nowadays. I did not do mine online...so have no experience on that. Feel free to PM with any questions you might have. Happy to help.

If you want it to enrich your current career path or give you a leg up over others at your current employer, then the lower tier/part-time/online versions may be fine. Lots of variance in the quality of the degree within this group, but these are also the most affordable.

If you want it to change careers, then you need to go full-time to a top school. Big $$.

Originally Posted By: drtyler
If you want it to enrich your current career path or give you a leg up over others at your current employer, then the lower tier/part-time/online versions may be fine. Lots of variance in the quality of the degree within this group, but these are also the most affordable.

If you want it to change careers, then you need to go full-time to a top school. Big $$.

Thanks, that's where I am confused and stuck.

Because good business schools are A LOT of money. While cheaper/lower tier are cheap, but not sure if they are worth it?

That's why I am considering an online version from a good B-school which can be done part time or at my own pace. In case if I lose money, it won't be an arm or a leg.

Originally Posted By: mbacfp
I did mine with concentration in Finance. MBAs are more broad based subject wise. Not sure how saturated the job market is with them nowadays. I did not do mine online...so have no experience on that. Feel free to PM with any questions you might have. Happy to help.

Thanks, I'll drop you a PM.

I agree with drtyler. I was young when I started my business and felt it would enhance my credibility along with my other credentials. Would I do it again if I could go back in time, yes. If trying to move up in a current job, then I might do an online option. Find a school that will allow you in based on GPA and avoid wasting your time on the GMAT.

My daughter worked in marketing for five years out of college and realized she needed heavier credentials to get ahead faster. She was able to find a full-ride for tuition and was in a position to quit work and study full time to knock out this two year degree. For her, it was worth it. She doubled her salary from $55k and had the six figure job offer in her pocket before she graduated because her school has a great job placement program.

Conversely, my other two kids who got JDs, had a terrible time finding jobs because the law school (same University) had a non-existent jobs program. As a result, they are making less than my MBA daughter. So, be sure to investigate the school’s job placement program which, if it’s good, will begin first semester, first year.

Last edited:
The classmates you are with are a big part of the education, as well as your group of future contacts.

Lots of group projects. If you are in class with a lot of driven and motivated students, then you'll get more out of it as opposed to folks that are just there to add a line on their resume.

I did a part-time MBA with Finance concentration at a large university. Learned a lot, but half the classmates were there for the resume line item (many of the others were very motivated, and good classmates). I wasn't looking for a new career, so it was fine. My undergraduate degree is in engineering, so there was a lot for me to learn. At no time was the coursework or material close to being as difficult to engineering, but the time constraints of working full-time and juggling part-time school and a life outside of both can put a strain on you.

I would think an online MBA would be a waste of time and money. You could just as well pick up books on the various subjects and probably get most of what you need for a lot less $$.

Feel free to PM me as well with further questions if you like.

Originally Posted By: maverickfhs
Has anyone here done a MBA? If so, how was your experience and was it worth it?

Yes. It was a very good career decision. I was in the IT field prior to that and was able to do a 180 degree change without starting from scratch.

Originally Posted By: maverickfhs
Any input in terms of online vs on-campus? Any thoughts?
thumbsup2.gif

You can get an online MBA and as long as it's from a reputable program, it will be treated the same as on-campus degree. But if you are interested in more than just having an MBA, I would strongly advise to do on-campus. You will be exposed to a lot more rigorous debates and different experiences by fellow students and professors.

So I am 2 courses from mine, but I hire and encourage my staff to get them if that counts...

I was completing mine nights then joined a tech company at the beginning of the tech boom when the company launched, and between the crazy hours, travel, etc., never finished. It is one of my bigger regrets.

Overall, yes I would recommend one from the best school you can afford or otherwise manage. That said, I would only do a full time MBA if you are sure of the payback including all costs of the degree (foregone income, all living expenses, debt...).

Unless you are in a position where it dose not matter, you should look at education as you would any investment; ROI. However this is a somewhat more complex calc as many of the returns are intangible; network, 'door opening' power of the degree itself as well as the school on your CV, etc. Also, MBA's are somewhat general and would a different, more specialized degree be better for whatever career you plan on, such as an MST or Masters in Accounting. If I were to get a do over, I would have looked towards a Masters of Business Analytics.

I'm currently in a global ops role w/ a large multinational. Glad to talk...PM me.

Going for my masters in analytics. Data will never go out of style in our careers. Most of the guys I know that got an MBA it didn't add much to their careers. I'm also the data guy within a marketing/sales org so take it for what it's worth.

If i needed a degree around business or finance I would look at a program with a Masters of Science - Computation, Risk Modeling, etc.

I got mine a few years back through a part-time program at a nearby school. I did it so that I'd have an edge over the 'other guy' who doesn't have an MBA when applying for a job.

So far nobody has asked me about it, but I'm also in a line of work where it isn't always a pertinent factor (IT industry).

I would not spend a lot of money on a MBA unless you are using it to maneuver yourself into a management position in a Fortune 100 company -- that's what the top tier programs are for. For the rest of us average joes, the 'night class' route is quite adequate.

Originally Posted By: NYSteve
Going for my masters in analytics. Data will never go out of style in our careers. Most of the guys I know that got an MBA it didn't add much to their careers. I'm also the data guy within a marketing/sales org so take it for what it's worth.

If i needed a degree around business or finance I would look at a program with a Masters of Science - Computation, Risk Modeling, etc.

good choice and good luck

Originally Posted By: wings&wheels
So I am 2 courses from mine, but I hire and encourage my staff to get them if that counts...

I was completing mine nights then joined a tech company at the beginning of the tech boom when the company launched, and between the crazy hours, travel, etc., never finished. It is one of my bigger regrets.

Overall, yes I would recommend one from the best school you can afford or otherwise manage. That said, I would only do a full time MBA if you are sure of the payback including all costs of the degree (foregone income, all living expenses, debt...).

Unless you are in a position where it dose not matter, you should look at education as you would any investment; ROI. However this is a somewhat more complex calc as many of the returns are intangible; network, 'door opening' power of the degree itself as well as the school on your CV, etc. Also, MBA's are somewhat general and would a different, more specialized degree be better for whatever career you plan on, such as an MST or Masters in Accounting. If I were to get a do over, I would have looked towards a Masters of Business Analytics.

I'm currently in a global ops role w/ a large multinational. Glad to talk...PM me.

Thanks so much, I'll drop you a PM.

Take a look at the rankings and get the best internationally recognised that you can afford. I was fortunate in that my employer at the time paid for mine. It's best to do on campus because then you get to share views and opinions with other students as well as face to face in group discussions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back