Pennzoil Platinum + Fram Ultra - spent after 4k???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just changed oil in both my vehicles yesterday (4k OCI for the Cad 3.6 and 5k OCI for the Honda Odyssey). The Cad had Penn Plat HM 5W30 and the Honda had Penn Plat 0W20. Both vehicles had Fram Ultra filters that were changed at the last OC. The oil was very dark and thick in both vehicles; if I understand correctly, dark thickened oil indicates it is contaminated and time for a change. This was quite surprising, given that Penn Plat has always looked pretty good after 5k. The only new item last OC was the Fram Ultra. Does anyone have any ideas as to why the oil deteriorated so rapidly, and if there is anything I can do to prolong the life of the oil? I am fine with 5k OCI, but want to make sure I shouldn't be going with shorter OCI.

What's the daily drive cycle on these vehicles? I know short cycles and extreme cold trashed some PP after 3,000 miles in our G5, but you're in the south. The filter cartridge was so sludged, it had collapsed.

Last edited:
You are mistaken that dark oil automatically means the oil has deteriorated. I think the oil is doing some cleaning and is holding the stuff in suspension as it is designed to do. To confirm the oil condition youwill need to do an UOA. Ed

Originally Posted By: car51
Without a UOA you don't know any condition of the oil.

Color of oil means NOTHING as well

That would have been a good idea, but I already dumped it at the recycle station.

Originally Posted By: Danno
What's the daily drive cycle on these vehicles?

The Honda generally gets about 10 mile trips, several times a day. The Cad gets short 1-2 mile trips several times a day.

Originally Posted By: RyanY
Originally Posted By: Danno
What's the daily drive cycle on these vehicles?

The Honda generally gets about 10 mile trips, several times a day. The Cad gets short 1-2 mile trips several times a day.

Short trips are not kind on oil. I did edit my original post for clarity.

Ryan, you need to get at least one good extended drive per week on each vehicle to get the oil up to temp and cook off any entrapped water or fuel. My wife's Odyssey had some white emulsion under the cap and in the oil fill hole because she drives only about 2.5 miles twice per day- took it on a 4-hour round trip, and all the white stuff was gone. A couple days later, after her short tripping resumed, I followed up and found some more emulsion. I fully expect to change this oil sooner than the summer fill since I know it's had water in it.

Hang on ... who is looking at the oil? My son has been changing oil in a 2013 Pentastar at 5k ... normally dark brown and thin. While doing the rear gear oil ... we checked the hood. The same magnatec was extremely black and very thick... but with only 3k...Going to dealership in the am ... we’ll see ...

Syn oil is a waste on short trippers where the oil change interval negates any syn oil advantage.

Originally Posted By: 4WD

Hang on ... who is looking at the oil? My son has been changing oil in a 2013 Pentastar at 5k ... normally dark brown and thin. While doing the rear gear oil ... we checked the hood. The same magnatec was extremely black and very thick... but with only 3k...Going to dealership in the am ... we’ll see ...

It’s freezing in Houston this morning. Cold weather starts causes more fuel contamination because the engine runs rich until it warms up. It was a pretty cold winter this year.

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
Even SC got a bit chilly this winter. I’d write it off to the cooler temps you saw and not worry about it.

SF

It certainly did get cold this winter. That, along with short trips, could explain why both cars had the thickened oil. Hopefully won't see cold weather again!

Some engines just darken the oil more.
It's extremely fine particles of carbon/soot. Too small for the filter to catch.
Carbon's not very abrasive generally, so dark oil doesn't automatically mean more wear.
You can tell a lot more about an oil by rubbing it between your fingers than by looking at it.

Last edited:
That's a paraffin synthetic - not anything fancy. Just a synthesized version of refined Penn Crude mineral oil.

The OP short trips will kill anything - 3K max.

Run Valvoline 0w20 next time.

Engines Hated PP 0W20 in anything it went into. Even the Subaru hated it and it usually hates M!

Shorten interval using same oils and same filter for these conditions. Sludge and oil dilution can happen. Engines like to run at the factory thermostat setting. You don't need to waste money on a UOA. Spend the $30 on the extra oil changes instead.

First time you ran PP on this OCI? You may having been cleaning out some old dino deposits! What did you run before this and what was the OCI frequency with that oil?

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
First time you ran PP on this OCI? You may having been cleaning out some old dino deposits! What did you run before this and what was the OCI frequency with that oil?

No. I've been running PP for the past 4 or 5 OCIs in both cars (5k OCI), but this was the first time with HM in the Cad (completely stopped the oil consumption issue!). This was the first time I used Fram Ultra (previously used Wix, Mobil1, and NAPA filters). I don't think the filter had much to do with the oil breakdown, but thought it would be worth mentioning. Both cars have always seen short trips, so that is nothing new.

This was the first time that the oil was thick at the time of change - it usually flows well with a warm engine, and wipes off the drain pan easily. This time it clinged to the pan almost like warm grease. The biggest surprise was that it happened in both cars.

It's the short tripping ... Just change at 5K and cruise on
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back