Heat Shrink Sleeves for Frantz and MotorGuards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

On a previous post the topic of sleeves was discussed and ranged from metal to o-rings to heat shrink. I've always machined either aluminum or stainless sleeves in the past for my Frantz and MotorGuards. Jacobs commented that he used heat shrink and I thought is was such a great idea I would try it out. Saves me about 4 hours lathe time making sleeves so worth the time to test this out. I bought 2 feet of CANUSA CFTV-1700 from ebay and installed on the top half of my MotorGuard M100, bottom half is a pressed aluminum sleeve. The heat shrink is rated from -46 to 266 degrees f, which should be fine for my application. Took 2 layers of tubing to fit nicely to the centre tubes of Kirkland brand rolls. Here's some pictures:

Never had a Frantz and so don't really understand what this is for.

Do the TP rolls you are using not fit the kit as-is?

Originally Posted By: Ducked
Never had a Frantz and so don't really understand what this is for.

Do the TP rolls you are using not fit the kit as-is?

No, Frantz was made in the day when toilet paper cores were 1.5" in diameter. Today the rolls are 1.6" to 1.7" in diameter so the center tube will not seal well to the new rolls. You can still get rolls from the new company that bought the rights to manufacture the Frantz brand. They address the 1.5" inch tube issue by making 1.5" cardboard sleeves that they put in the 1.6" cores. They then wrap it in a nylon gauze and sell them for $4.95 USD so you think they are something more than a toilet paper roll. I bought 2 of these rolls from them to see how they were made and performed against a normal store brand rolls. They are definitely wrapped tighter than store brands, but I could not see any better performance. I ended up using Kirkland brand rolls for both the Frantz and MotorGuard filters I run.

I’ve used the amsoil dual bypass filter in the past and once again discovered the Frantz system.
Being a total bypass system is there a restriction in the system to control Oil flow or is the (tp) filter element the restriction?
90cummins

Originally Posted By: Ducati996
I’ve used the amsoil dual bypass filter in the past and once again discovered the Frantz system.
Being a total bypass system is there a restriction in the system to control Oil flow or is the (tp) filter element the restriction?
90cummins

Yes the Frantz uses a .062 or 1/16" orifice to limit the oil flow.

Originally Posted By: valley_ranch
A310 ~ RE: the shrink tube ~ when you remove the filter ~ at oil change ~ does the shrink tube stay on the post ~ or come out with the filter each time ??????

Can't tell by the picture ```

Thank you

Richard

I just installed the heat shrink with the idea that it will stay on the tube when I pull the roll out. It's good heat shrink with an adhesive coating so when it's heated and shrinked, it bonds to the center tube. I'll know on the next change in 5000 miles and update on the findings.
eek.gif

I changed out the filter the other day and took a sample for Blackstone labs. The center core sealed very well, in fact so well the toilet paper core attached itself to the heat shrink and was very difficult to remove. I added a little grease on the heat shrink this time when I put the the new toilet roll in. The heat shrink itself is in perfect condition and shows no sign of deterioration. We'll see how the greased center tube behaves.

Originally Posted By: AlaskaMike
That's interesting--how do you think the grease will affect the analysis?

I'm not sure, I'll find out the next sample I take.
blush.gif
I'm sure some of it will leach out into the oil, might make for an intersting oil analysis.lol

Im doing same on my frantz I ordered some high temp 3:1 shrink sleeve, Im very worried about breakdown from fuel/oil over time rubber/plastic/glue. That is only item that has me concerned granted that will show in oil analysis but is it worth taking chance on 8k engine to save 4$ on frantz TP roll?.... Still debating on that. I gotta put some more miles on truck to get UOA then do shrink wrap for short 5k run and see what UOA shows.

I have the current frantz (not sure if their tube is different from older one) so OP if your willing to lathe me a tube, I would pay reasonable price for one. I can get you caliper specs per inch top to bottom. (not sure if its tappered) Just PM me if your interested.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Shata
I have the current frantz (not sure if their tube is different from older one) so OP if your willing to lathe me a tube, I would pay reasonable price for one. I can get you caliper specs per inch top to bottom. (not sure if its tappered) Just PM me if your interested.

Sorry for the late reply. I've been watching my heat shrink and it's doing really well, no deterioration of the rubber or glue.:) I would not worry about the rubber breaking down as it would take many years for that to happen. At the moment I'm swapping out my 6.4 Powerstroke for a Detroit 4-53T and am way behind on this project as well, so I have no time at the moment for any other jobs.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Why did you keep the huge air compressor on the back?!?!?

Just guessing...Reverse the inlet & outlet and use it for a vacuum pump?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back