Picking up a leftover ‘16 Hellcat on Wednesday...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Car was built in October of ‘16 and has been sitting on the showroom floor since it arrived at the dealer. I like to change my own oil, do I drive the car the 120 miles to my house and change it or have the dealer do it before I leave? First world problems.
smile.gif

Time does NOT affect the oil.

Leave the oil that is in it - in it until the recommended time specified.
I wouldn't change it until probably 4,000 miles or more.

"If" it was my HC I would change the oil at NO longer than 1000 miles, and then what ever you want, but no longer than 5K miles. Again just me, but that is one heck of a $$$$/engine/$$$$. On my Challenger R/T 5.7 6 speed, 500-1000-3000 OCI's. Ya I know, but it's mine. After that I change it twice a year. Been using Castrol Magnatec 5W20, changing to Pennz Platinum 5W20 w/Fram XG. Nice car, get used to the throttle slowly.
cheers3.gif

Dealer should fully prep the car before delivery.

Change oil / filter, inspect wipers, fluid levels, tire pressure, clean glass, wash / wax, and current state inspection, if required.

When my Dad picked up his Cruze, the inspection was due next month, wipers were toast, and OLM was at 50%.
Not good customer care...

I agree with oldhp, change early. If it was in showroom from delivery to dealer why would it need wiper blades or have the oil life at 50%? Real nice find, enjoy!

Originally Posted By: Frank_Rizzo
Car was built in October of ‘16 and has been sitting on the showroom floor since it arrived at the dealer. I like to change my own oil, do I drive the car the 120 miles to my house and change it or have the dealer do it before I leave? First world problems.
smile.gif

I wouldn't panic, drive the car a little and change the oil this summer at your convenience, ask the dealer for a print copy of any maintenance performed, I purchased two previous Dodges (06 Dakota-15 Dart) both had been there a while and just before I picked them up the service records I requested stated "MOA Motor Oil Suppliment Added".
TOTO.

Congratulations on getting the Hellcat! I almost traded my 2016 Scat Pack on a leftover 2016 Hellcat (had a $13K discount off MSRP) but like my Scat Pack so much I could not do it.

* You have a fantastic car and paid a lot of money for it ($60K +). Do not listen to the BITOG voices that would have you think saving money on oil is the most important aspect of automotive maintenance. I picked up my Scat Pack the day it came off the truck and have almost 3K miles on the car. It gets an oil change every 6 months (required by the manual) which is working out to 1,000 mile OCIs.
* Change out the factory oil ASAP and use PPU 0W-40 SRT oil and an OEM filter. Cannot go wrong.
* As Mr Nice said, your car may have a blower bearing issue. A lot of the 2016s did. You can do some research on the Hellcat forums for additional information. Keep an eye on it.
* Time does affect oil. Read the following article.

http://www.1st-in-synthetics.com/Tech/Chemical_Reactions_Occur_In_Motor_Oil_Even_When_Not_In_Use.htm

Congrats! There are a couple hellcats running around my area, always fun to see one.

I'm sure there are a couple things to look out for with a car that has been sitting... Possibly battery charge, Oil (I would change it, even the manufacturer recommends a time interval). Another thing to look out for is flat spots on the tires. If it sat in the same spot for long enough, those flat spots might not go away with normal driving. I would get it in writing from the dealer that if the spots dont work out in the first couple hundred miles, they owe you tires. Don't fall for the "they'll be fine" line.

I think, could be wrong, that brake rotors can also warp from sitting. Another thing to look out for.

Change the oil at 1000 miles, or about 20 hours of engine running.

Brake rotors don't warp from sitting.

Modern tires rarely flat-spot from sitting.

Windshield wipers don't wear out while the car is sitting on the showroom floor.

My guess is the battery state of charge is good enough to start the car, then the alternator will recharge it.

You're getting a great deal on an awesome car, don't let the minutiae about nickel and dime maintenance items detract from that.

Last edited:
24 months is fine for oil as an upper limit. You're not there yet. Leave it and go.

You are buying a real nice car do what is in your heart. Yourchoice od vehicle says you know best.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman

The thing is... they do. and Hellcat tires are expensive. Sitting for a month or two may not be an issue, but for a year plus? Performance tires are more easily ruined from sitting, and cold weather seems to make it worse.

Let the dealer do the first oil change, they'll use PU SRT 0w-40 and an OEM filter and it should be free as part of the PDI. Going forward, I'd run a micro-glass filter like the FRAM Ultra, AMSOIL EaO or Royal Purple. You can't go wrong with the SRT 0w-40, but technically you'd be fine running any oil meeting the Chrysler spec (but try finding one). The page about oil selection from your manual is a bit cryptic:

So while under warranty, it may be wise to just roll with the PU 0w-40 SRT stuff.

You will find the factory tires inadequate. I recommend after you've obliterated them to replace them with the superior Michelin Pilot Sport 4S.

Originally Posted By: HemiHawk

The thing is... they do. and Hellcat tires are expensive. Sitting for a month or two may not be an issue, but for a year plus? Performance tires are more easily ruined from sitting, and cold weather seems to make it worse.

No they aren't. The OE P-Zero Nero's are cheap, and they aren't a great tire either. The ones for my GC are more than double the price on TireRack and I'm blessed with a vastly smaller list of inferior tires from which to choose
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: HemiHawk

No they aren't. The OE P-Zero Nero's are cheap, and they aren't a great tire either. The ones for my GC are more than double the price on TireRack and I'm blessed with a vastly smaller list of inferior tires from which to choose
frown.gif

Well, good performance tires are expensive haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back