Best yogurt

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking for a non-Greek,whole milk yogurt with no added sugar,no high fructose corn syrup. Seems every one I see is Greek,fat free,etc.

My favorites all basically taste the same
Aldi Organic whole milk vanilla in quarts
Trader Joe's whole milk vanilla in quarts
Stony field organic French vanilla

I would not be surprised if they are all made my same manufacturer.

Aldi is my go to at $2.99 qt

There's a new TV commercial out where the very premise is that some company is now selling non-greek yogurt. LOL. I guess we have come full circle.

Anyway, Stonyfield Organic is great. The full fat vanilla one is like a dessert.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I'm looking for a non-Greek,whole milk yogurt with no added sugar,no high fructose corn syrup. Seems every one I see is Greek,fat free,etc.

buy a plain yogurt recipient from aldi/similar
buy a gallon of whole milk
buy some sour cream (from smoothness / creaminess)

warm the milk (just warm to the touch)
place in large container(s)
mix with yogurt and sour cream
keep on countertop for 2 days
or in your oven for about a day with the light on

enjoy

P.S. at least couple members have tried the make-yougurt-kits. but my search-fu is sleepy

Trader Joe's Organic European-style yogurt is made by Straus Family Creamery in Sonoma County, CA. If you can find it in a TX TJ's, give it a whirl.

Seems every one I see is Greek,fat free,etc.

You're not the only one. Fat free yogurt tastes and feels like Jello that you can't see through, and most Greek yogurts here are like caulking. What ever happened to ordinary, smooth yogurt with some fruit in it?

Do you guys get Astro yogurt in the US? They make plain yogurt with regular yogurt ingredients in 0,1,2 and 6%, and its usually the cheapest in the dairy case as well.
If you go to an 'ethnic' grocery store, they will have real yogurt as well.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Seems every one I see is Greek,fat free,etc.

You're not the only one. Fat free yogurt tastes and feels like Jello that you can't see through, and most Greek yogurts here are like caulking. What ever happened to ordinary, smooth yogurt with some fruit in it?

Yep I agree! When I was growing up,yogurt came in those cardboard containers and you always had to stir it up prior to eating. It was nice and thick with a ton of fruit on the bottom. None of that wretched feaux yogurt Greek fat free garbage.

Yep I agree! When I was growing up,yogurt came in those cardboard containers and you always had to stir it up prior to eating. It was nice and thick with a ton of fruit on the bottom. None of that wretched feaux yogurt Greek fat free garbage.

The dairy cooperative here used to make stuff like that, but it got corporatized, and now it's opaque gelatin. Indy's mention of Astro brand is a bit of a help. I've come across some of their products that aren't too bad. I should try an ethnic store.

Greek yogurt is just a name. When "Greek" yogurt first made some inroads in the States it was popular because it was thicker because of milk solids that were present even in the low or non-fat versions. Every yogurt manufacturer wanted a piece of a rapidly growing market. Now most Greek yogurt is just run of the mill yogurt with very small differences.
The commercial showing customers that want non-Greek yogurt is just a switcheroo. They are practically the same.
I have a friend who used to own a small dairy farm. I'm not a yogurt fanatic. LOL etc.

The dairy cooperative here used to make stuff like that, but it got corporatized, and now it's opaque gelatin. Indy's mention of Astro brand is a bit of a help. I've come across some of their products that aren't too bad. I should try an ethnic store.

Astro have a series of 6% "naturally" flavored yogurts which I think are pretty good for the price.
They all contain, Skim milk, cream, sugar, skim milk powder, natural flavour, colour, agar, active bacterial cultures.
I don't know how much agar is in it but its still quite creamy and separates just like yogurt should.
Their plain 6% yogurt is; Skim milk, cream, active bacterial cultures. I mix in homemade strawberry jam and its very good that way.
It's all between $2 and 3.50 for 750ml depending on the grocery store, so if the boys want to eat the whole thing, I don't mind as the price and quality are pretty good.
You can actually make yogurt yourself quite easily, but to be cost effective you have to buy cream when its on sale. Astro is good enough that I don't bother.

I will have to do some checking. This skim milk fad needs to stop, though.
wink.gif

wink.gif

It has at our house, 3.25% is all we get.

Originally Posted By: 555
Greek yogurt is just a name. When "Greek" yogurt first made some inroads in the States it was popular because it was thicker because of milk solids that were present even in the low or non-fat versions. Every yogurt manufacturer wanted a piece of a rapidly growing market. Now most Greek yogurt is just run of the mill yogurt with very small differences.
The commercial showing customers that want non-Greek yogurt is just a switcheroo. They are practically the same.
I have a friend who used to own a small dairy farm. I'm not a yogurt fanatic. LOL etc.

In the US there are standards of identity - if you want to call butter butter, it has to meet a certain standard. Milk, cheese, yogurt all have one but Greek yogurt does not. That is why you see what I call fake greek yogurts because they still add sugar and add milk proteins along with the typical gums and other stabilizers. F age (the letter F and age together is blocked by the censor), Chobani and smaller companies have done the right thing and strained the whey from the yogurt, while the larger companies like Dannon add stabilizers and sugar to make it taste better and to keep the whey in, just to make more money.

wink.gif

Definitely! Anything skim,fat free,low fat,etc,is just plain disgusting.

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
Aldi Organic whole milk vanilla in quarts
Trader Joe's whole milk vanilla in quarts

Aldi is my go to at $2.99 qt

Tried Aldi's today for that yogurt and they were out of it. They had some of the plain available but no thanks. Picked up a few small containers of the Greek 100 and they were good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back