Castrol 0W40

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Subaru Outback Turbo has barely burned a drop of oil in its life, which is surprising considering they're somewhat known for it.

I've mostly only used the GC 0W30, but the 0w40 has caught my eye. Not sure why, but it has. The lower price is certainly attractive.

Question is - do I keep buying single jugs of the 0w30, or do I make the switch to the 0w40? I seem to recall that the 0w30 went through a change a couple of years ago? Might be wrong on that.

Any thoughts on the 0w40 in the Subie?

Thanks.

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
40 is 10 more than 30. It’s like having an eleven on your amplifier. (From the movie This is Spinal Tap.) LOL.
11 is better.

My 2011 Outback 3.6R (just about to turn 120K) had its first OCI with M1 0w-40 and it was notably smoother than any 5w-30 tried before it (PUP, Cast Magnatec, PP, M1, M1 HM). Currently on a run of Pen Plat Euro 0w-40 and it has gotten smoother still. These two and the Castrol 0w-40 are not heavy 40 weight oils....all have 3.8 or under HTHS. Pennzoil and M1 quickly move into the low-3 HTHS arena (as in within the OCI). That's heavy 30 weight territory.

With the noted benefit in smoothness, an MPG penalty that is so low its within the statistical noise of my ability to calculate it, I'm really pleased and will continue using it. The M1 0w-40 had a few 27-28 degree cold starts (cold for Florida) and it behaved just like all the other syn 5w-30 oils I've run.

I think you're just fine.

Originally Posted By: ssbtech

Any thoughts on the 0w40 in the Subie?

That's what I'm running at the moment.

My Tacoma seems to like the 0W-40 and it's a true synthetic. I can get 6 quarts for right around $32 at Walmart and it's convenient buying a 5qt jug and a single quart bottle over 6 individual quarts.

I don't think the viscosity is much different. GC 0W-30 was always considered a "thick" 30wt. Your turbo will probably like the 40wt a bit better too, I would imagine, especially if you're a spirited driver!

Some people say that the Castrol 0w40 is just barely thick enough to be called an Xw40 and Castrol Euro 0w30 is just barely thin enough to be called a Xw30.

The oil analysis sections have articles on both oils.

From what I can see, replacing Castrol Euro 0w30 with Castrol 0W40 will not make a significant difference.

I use Castrol 0w40 in my Mitsu Lancer Ralliart and it doesn't seem to be a problem.

The 0w40 is easier to source, atleast for me. I run Mobil 1 0w40 in my 97 firebid formula, she seems to like it. The LT1 engines seem to prefer a thick 30 or thin 40 weight oil from what I've read/experienced. I would use Castrol 0w40 if the Mobil wasn't in stock without issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back