Bosch Dishwasher replaced our junk Maytag

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well we went with a Bosch 900 series Dishwasher to replace our junk 2 year old Maytag with a fatal flaw, a design defect that will ruin you cabinents and possibly harbor mold.

ALL Maytag/Kitchenaid/Whirlpool and some Kenmore dishwashers that do not have a steam vent have this issue. This is not something that breaks, but a poor design that creates issues from day one.

Basically the steam is supposed to condense on the stainless steel tub and the condensed water will run down the drain. What happens though is that some steam escapes from the fill port on the left hand side of the dishwasher. This fill port is not sealed, and easily allows steam to escape.

Maytags "fix" for this is to put a plastic sheet between the cabinet and the dishwasher to protect the cabinet. The problem is that does nothing to keep the moisture out of the cabinet and insulation. It is a bandaid that creates new issues.

When I pulled out the dishwasher, which had been in service two years, to investigate a faulty grinder pump is when I discovered the moisture issue. All the rust spots are from the clamp that got rusty from all the moisture. Keep in mind its all dried out now, it was a wet mess when I pulled it out originally.

There are brand new 1000 dollar kitchenaids at lowes that have the same defective design.

Look at all the moisture damage. When I originally pulled it out the insulation was wet, you can see the water stains on the plastic. I originally thought it was the black fill hose leaking so I put another clamp on it. This was not the issue. Steam comes out of the top of the little grey fill box.

The BOSCH clean extremely well, and is extremely quiet. so far, we love it. Time will tell how it holds up.

***Note-I tried to get the pictures rotated so they display correctly. No matter what I do the result is a sideways picture. This is the only site I have trouble with, I even tried uploading one of these to another site as a test and they were fine. No sure what I am doing wrong....

Here we can see the elaborate condensate trap on the bosch dishwasher. Most if not all of the condensate is returned to inside the unit, there is an "overflow" but it is funneled down into the pan under the dishwasher. I will be pulling it out in a month to make sure there are no issues with moisture on the bosch unit. I will update.

Last edited:
Pretty wild the junk that gets peddled. Note, they peddled similarly junky stuff in the past, it's just that the only old stuff that's left was good to begin with so we don't see the junk.

Anyhow, curious how you settled on the 900 series Bosch. In my admittedly limited research I couldn't find a whole lot about them that represented a big jump in performance over the basic 300 series.

jeff

And my $1000 3yo LG washer started leaking this weekend. Appliances suck. You used to be able to buy one, put it in and forget about it for 20 years. No more.

Originally Posted By: greenjp
Pretty wild the junk that gets peddled. Note, they peddled similarly junky stuff in the past, it's just that the only old stuff that's left was good to begin with so we don't see the junk.

Anyhow, curious how you settled on the 900 series Bosch. In my admittedly limited research I couldn't find a whole lot about them that represented a big jump in performance over the basic 300 series.

jeff

I wanted to go with a Meile, but there are no dealers, or repair people near us. So we went with the Bosch because it sounds like its the best of the worse as far as reliability goes. Plus it doesn't appear to have any major design defects.

I know two family members that have had Bosch dishwashers and loved them with no issues. So we will see....

Originally Posted By: Indydriver
And my $1000 3yo LG washer started leaking this weekend. Appliances suck. You used to be able to buy one, put it in and forget about it for 20 years. No more.

If it's a front-loader, check the gasket itself. Our $1,000 LG developed a leak just after the warranty ran out. It was the gasket. About $75.

Problem solved...for 7 more years...still working well today. Even good equipment gets a bad part once in a while...

Originally Posted By: Indydriver

The thing is I could put up with something breaking. It shouldn't but it does. What gets me is the terrible design of the maytag, and the fact they are still making a junk design. I cant tolerate moister being dumped into an enclosed space.

Guy down the street just rolled an LG (just one) to curb - but had sign reading “come get both for free”

Last edited:
That yucks ... my Kenmore Elite is over a decade old and zero issues with it or 5 other stainless KE machines we got during a remodel ...
Odds of that is pretty slim these days

Here's the damage it did to our cabinet. I remove the damaged veneer as best as I could and used kilzs and painted over everything.

There have been many noted the issues of this by different people on the interwebs. The thing is I think a lot of these dishwashers with this faulty design that are installed have not been taken out yet and it's the sort of a problem that hides you wouldn't necessarily notice it unless you pull the dishwasher out for some reason.

I wouldn't have known there was an issue unless I pulled it out to work on the defective grinder pump.

I'm in the process of contacting Maytag but from what I've heard other people that contacted them they offer a fix which is basically a plastic sheet to cover the cabinet.

bosch are not without problems, mine and a relatives also is always wet inside the door after the cycle , even in the morning after sitting from bedtime to dawn- *but wet in the dishwasher" not on the cabinet side.
you also have to turn it off after it runs (open door, push off button), which I think is really stupid design- most other dishwashers just time out..

Had mine worked on twice by a bosch approved tech, could not fix it, when you turn it on it pumps out, stops then says clean. we have used an internet workaround - let it fill, open door, turn it off, wait,turn it on, close door then it runs the cycle ok. the bosch imho are too complicated like some things german and techs can not fix them even tho it works for the factory manuals test steps but does not work when you start it.

dont know what to buy when it dies

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: knerml
I love Bosch dishwashers.

From experience, Whirlpool/Kitchenaid/Maytag appliances are junk.

So far I love what I see just the way it's the sign it's obvious much more thought went into it than the whirlpool,Kenmore or Maytag,KitchenAid junk.

There is a pan underneath so if any of the components did leak it will go into that pan and there's a float switch little shut off the machine if it gets any water under it.

And in general the way that the hoses and everything hook up and are routed is much nicer than the old Maytag.

I'm not sure how they made tag acentos for $500 r but so far the more expensive Bosch dishwashers are a winner in my book

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
With so many problems, why not just was your dishes by hand ?

As a kid I hated doing the dishes. As soon as I moved out I made sure I have always had a dishwasher. Plus I think its a lot quicker, uses less water, and is typically more sanitary.

I am on a septic so rinsing them in bleach water to sanitize them isn't going to happen.

Originally Posted By: edwardh1
bosch are not without problems, mine and a relatives also is always wet inside the door after the cycle , even in the morning after sitting from bedtime to dawn- *but wet in the dishwasher" not on the cabinet side.
you also have to turn it off after it runs (open door, push off button), which I think is really stupid design- most other dishwashers just time out..

Had mine worked on twice by a bosch approved tech, could not fix it, when you turn it on it pumps out, stops then says clean. we have used an internet workaround - let it fill, open door, turn it off, wait,turn it on, close door then it runs the cycle ok. the bosch imho are too complicated like some things german and techs can not fix them even tho it works for the factory manuals test steps but does not work when you start it.

I agree the power switch is a bit odd, but on ours you have 3 options, you can set it to power off after a few minutes of the cycle ending, 2 hours, or it can stay on until you manually turn it off.

There are several setup options on ours like that.

As far as the door staying wet, yes, Bosch dishwashers dont use heating elements to dry the dishes so they use a condensing drying system. On non plastic items the stuff always comes out dry. On plastic items or on items that have depressions that can hold water, the stuff can be a bit wet. In our experience this isn't much different than our previous dishwashers.

Our door tends to have some moisture on it too. It sounds typical. The unit almost needs a door that pops open a bit when its done to help prevent that as some other units do.

The biggest complaint I read about bosch is the drying performance. Its acceptable to us, but not to everyone. I am happy with it thus far. Our steam puking maytag didn't have the best drying ability either, and it had the element.

Honestly Im very glad this has no heating element. Every once in a while we would get a plastic spoon or something melted onto the element. Not pleasant, so im glad that is no longer a possibility.

Last edited:
In my extensive research, and input I have received from sales folks, by far the biggest piece of junk dishwasher on the market today is a samsung. They are made in china and it appears the money they saved making them over there did not go into engineering and testing.

I had two people tell me they could no way shape or for recomend a samsung dishwasher.

They said anyone that has purchased one has come back with issues.

They are the king of j u n k.

I also read bad things about their high dollar refrigerators. Sure its great to have a camera inside the fridge so you can see the contents of inside remotely (no im not joking) but lets make a compressor that dont die after a year....

Lets get the simple stuff figured out before we try to further complicate things.

There has been plenty dumping by the two SK companies ... when caught they try some end around stuff and get caught again ... then they say forgive us and we will build a plant near you ...
They can rot in hot places before I’m buying anything ...
PS: go see rocket boy (again) for cheap labor for your parts too ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back