Need some input on tires please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thinking of buying a wheel and tire package for my Alltrack as I don't love the stock wheels. Found wheels I like on tire rack, and my top tire choices are the Cooper CS 5 ultra or the Vredestein Quatrack 5. Price is similar, so looking for your thoughts on both of these. It's my daily driver and will be used all year. Looking for a good combo of handling, quietness, and bad weather performance. Thanks.

I have the Cooper cs5 ultra touring tires. Best tires I have ever used. Very very good wet road grip. Nice smooth and quiet tire. Works fine in the snow to but it's no snow tire. I bought the tires in early 2017 and I still think about how great they are every time I drive.

Last edited:
All I can say is the Cooper CS4's I had were great tires.
I will buy the CS5 when the time comes.
I have no exposure to your other choice. Good luck.

Get the Vredeatein Quatrac 5. They will be better in the winter. Usually the kind of person that buys an Alltrack or Allroad or Outback or similar raised wagon thing desires good driving in snow, and the Quatrac will be better at that.

An all-season tire with the 3-peak symbol, such as the Quatrac 5, will give you better snow performance than other all-season tires.

The Cooper CS5 Ultra is a good tire and a BITOG favorite, but that is largely due to the huge rebates that DTD has several times a year.

But if you're buying a second set of wheels, why not just get dedicated winter tires for it?
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog

But if you're buying a second set of wheels, why not just get dedicated winter tires for it?
smile.gif

This is what I would do...

Thanks. The old wheels would be sold to get back a bit of cash. Baby due in a month so every little bit helps. Plus I think a good all season will do just fine for me.

Go with the Coopers, the CS5 is an 80k mile tire. I put a set of Mastercraft LSR's on the Santa Fe, which is made by Cooper and the equivalent to the CS5's. Has been great this winter.

Either tire would suit you well.

What wheels are you thinking about? Tire Rack sells some wheels that won't match the quality of your stockers.

Those two tires options are very different from each other. If you want to trade improved winter performance for handling, noise, and wear mileage choose the Vredestein Quatrac 5. If you are OK with the typical "all season" compromise on winter performance and want less noise, better handling, and 20k more wear mileage, choose the Cooper CS5 Ultra.

I know that you mentioned "Quiet" as being part of your criteria. In the Tire Rack test, the Vredestein Quatrac 5 were the loudest in that test with the other 3 tires. However, the VQ5 did do most things well in the wet(no snow test).

Considering we're essentially out of snow season (although midwest weather has a nasty sense of humor) I'd go with the tire that "should" last longer. With AWD, a snow tire is less essential than on FWD/RWD. My Forester does better on an old set of Michelin Pilot Exaltos than my Odyssey did on a brand new set of Blizzak WS80s. No tire will fix doing stupid things that violate the laws of physics, especially when the temperature is really cold. I don't have experience with either tire, but the consensus appears to be the Cooper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back