Home water filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have a fridge water filter, seems to last about 3 months. Costs about $30 ish.

Just thinking would it be more economical/efficient to have a filter on the entire house? I guess this is just filtering
our fridge, filtering the house would be 10x's that with showers. Or maybe just a filter for kitchen sink?

Cost/advice/recommendations/experiences

I use these, one on the refrigerator water line and one under the kitchen sink on the cold water line. The one under the kitchen sink lasted a year and would have lasted longer if I had a dedicated drinking water faucet. The one on the refrigerator is still going strong after a year. Definitely cheaper than the manufacturer frig filter.

https://www.premierh2o.com/products/watts_500318_5_year_20-000_gallon_water_filter

$30 at Amazon and Sam's Club.

I dont see why you couldnt plumb something like this in.. they filter fuel/water/hydraulic and anything fluid on big trucks and industrial equipment. I have no idea how many millions of gallons went thru our coolant filters on our dump trucks. Would be interesting to put one under the sink and cut it open after a few months to see.

uhytuma3.jpg

We have this, it works great. The system costs $60 and the replacement filters are under $20. I replace them when there starts to be a noticeable drop in water pressure with more than one outlet running, which is usually about 6 months. There are some cheaper systems that use the same filters, but this one has a bypass valve on it so you don't have to shut the water off to replace the filter.

https://www.menards.com/main/plumbing/wa...2804&ipos=7

I've seen pics where someone with a basement and direct access to the water inlet will rig up a series of filters, each more restrictive so that you can use cheaper and more open filters upstream to capture major debris.

I think restaurants use something similar, and the filters are commercial 3M type.

As far as I know, the 10in cartridge type is standardized and you can find it as media filters, carbon blocks, etc.

It would be nice to have. For now I just have a under sink RO system.

I never change the filter in the bottom of the fridge...
but I filter the water before it even gets there with one of these:

159-ifi4c_large.jpg

The fridge filter above probably has activated charcoal; not sure you want to run your entire house supply thru a charcoal filter

I would put a particulate filter on the house supply for sediment (I have one, even tho I have city water) and use charcoal at consumption point of use faucets.

Last edited:
I installed a whole house sediment filter about 4-5 months ago on the water coming into the house. Initially used a 5 micron and have since started a (supposed) 1 micron . Seems to catch the little bits of dirt that come in through the water. Just changed it out yesterday with 40 days on the filter. Probably could have gone longer, but can't stand looking at a dirty filter and was noticing flow was somewhat diminished.

Haven't tried carbon as this is a whole house and I am mainly trying to stop the grit that sometimes comes in when a hydrant or some other disruption happens upstream. We have a Brita pitcher for drinking water in the kitchen.

Sharkbites made the install pretty painless. So far so good.

I have a Big Blue whole house sediment filter installed with a 5 micron filter cartridge measuring 20" x 4.5". I just changed the filter yesterday after more than a year - probably much too long, however, the water was clear before changing and the flow rate was exactly the same after changing, so the old filter was apparently still working. The new pleated polyester high efficiency filter cartridge was $27. I'll probably start changing them every six months now.

There are many different types of filters available that fit this system, including carbon filters. You can mount as many of these Big Blue filters as you like in series, each with a different cartridge.

The tanks to the right in the photo are part of a three tank iron removal system as our raw well water has 6 ppm of iron.

as statef above theres a middle ground. you csn install an inline filter just on the water line to the fridge.
There are typically economies of scale. so a larger filter will last a long time but only be a few $more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back