2AZFE Oil Consumption (or lack thereof)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone. My girlfriend has a 2007 Scion tC that currently does not consume/burn any oil with 5W-20 (it has 88k miles) in a 5k OCI. I guess she should be considered lucky at this point. Moving forward, I'll be taking care of her car to prevent this issue from happening for a relatively long time. It seems Pennzoil Ultra Platinum has the best cleaning properties, but it seems even Pennzoil dino oil isn't too bad with cleaning either. What should I do for the best bang for buck? She doesn't drive the car much and it's mostly short trip style of driving which makes me think dino oil would be the best, but from research it seems dino oil is the reason why these cars clog the piston oil returns.

What's wrong with what your girlfriend has been doing? No oil consumption. If the motor ever starts to burn half a quart every 5,000 miles, then try 5w30 or a high mileage oil.

There's nothing wrong. I'd just like to see if there's anything minimal I can do to help (with either choices of oil, etc)

Lucky? wifey's 04 camry (2AZ-FE) never burn a dollop of oil since bought, and now has in excess of 275kkms to date.

We plan to push it way past 340k before replacing it with something new.

I do 7kkms oci with Qstate green, pennzwax yellow, etc. whatever wallymart has on-sale. Also using Wallyworld house-brand oil filters all these time.

I'm not scared of anything with this engine. It's been serving our family well all these years.

Q.

Yes, but it doesn't seem to show any signs of it yet. That's why if possible, I'd rather just use a different oil that will give me a better chance of preventing it or delaying it from happening.

Have a scion xb with 2azfe.

It doesn't use a drop of oil.

I use sale synthetics and syn blends.

I have used 5w20 and 5w30, no problem at 65k miles.

5k intervals

Originally Posted By: JustinH

5k intervals

Similar here.
My wife's '12 xB had 5 oil changes with TGMO 5w-20 and Toyota filter in the first 20,000 miles, and since then I have been using whatever xw-20 synthetic I got on clearance (PP, Auto Zone Syn, QSUD) and Wix filters every 5,000 miles.
Last oil change (40,000 miles) I noticed I was about 1/4 qt low @ the 5000 mile mark, first time it has been low at all. Not sure if it was because of the Auto Zone syn or if it is starting to use oil. I will keep and eye on it for sure. Still showing full 2000 miles into interval as of yesterday.

Originally Posted By: blupupher
Originally Posted By: JustinH

5k intervals

Similar here.
My wife's '12 xB had 5 oil changes with TGMO 5w-20 and Toyota filter in the first 20,000 miles, and since then I have been using whatever xw-20 synthetic I got on clearance (PP, Auto Zone Syn, QSUD) and Wix filters every 5,000 miles.
Last oil change (40,000 miles) I noticed I was about 1/4 qt low @ the 5000 mile mark, first time it has been low at all. Not sure if it was because of the Auto Zone syn or if it is starting to use oil. I will keep and eye on it for sure. Still showing full 2000 miles into interval as of yesterday.

How much mileage does your xB have? I remember I had a 2009 xB that didn't use oil until I hit around 85k miles.

It is only at 42,000 miles. Seems everything that I have read says the useage starts in the 60,000-85,000 miles range (although some are earlier, as well as later).
I have heard that the 2012 model year had the oil issue fixed, but also see that the 2012 is covered under the Toyota extended engine warranty for excessive consumption.

Approaching 200k miles on my 2az-fe and i consume about half a quart every 5k
Nothing but PYB conventional 5w30 and 10w30 for the first 120k miles
Now it gets whatever is cheapest. Just drive it easy and follow maintenance

Originally Posted By: RyanGreener
There's nothing wrong. I'd just like to see if there's anything minimal I can do to help (with either choices of oil, etc)

Keep it changed at regular intervals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back