Do 5 quart jugs work for you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

4WD

$50 site donor 2024
So I’m changing oil on these engine fills:
1 x 8 qt (2 gallons)
3 x 6 qt (would have half a gallon left per jug)
2 x 4 qt (a hair more, but there is always a qt of whatever around)

So in my case gallon jugs would be ideal … 5 quarts leaves odd amounts on the shelf to sort …
(I could harmonize the grades better if the incentive was there via container)
PS: I never find deals on six packs … but just paid a bit extra online to help balance needs.

I need six quarts in my Colorado, so I buy two 5-qt jugs initially, then one 5-qt container for a couple OCIs - then back to 2.

My wife's Malibu uses 4.5 qts. So a five quart jug works perfectly, for half-way thru the OCI, she needs another half-quart.

Prefer single quart or liter bottles, but jug can work when the price is right. Just harder to pour neatly.

Jugs are cheaper up here. The van takes almost 6 liters and the civic takes 4 liters.

I use the leftovers for top ups or for the OPE.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Prefer single quart or liter bottles, but jug can work when the price is right. Just harder to pour neatly.

For sure … When I get the Tahoe on ramps … the fill hole is “down there” in the dark ~ so just ordered a funnel that’s supposed to J-slot into the fill hole … hope it fits …

Well my Duramax uses 10 quarts I kind of have heart burn no diesel oils come in 5 quart Jugs. I use Jugs because it is more effective with my storage quarts don't stack well like the old cans did. The Jugs always leave me a little left over oil I use for topping off during my OCI but that always leaves a little left over. My mower oil.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I prefer quarts, but the price of the 5 qt. jug is tough to beat.

Does Costco still do the in store six packs … let my membership end about 3 years back … those were handy but we were not buying much else so the annual fee was not worth it (and 50 miles away)

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Well my Duramax uses 10 quarts I kind of have heart burn no diesel oils come in 5 quart Jugs. I use Jugs because it is more effective with my storage quarts don't stack well like the old cans did. The Jugs always leave me a little left over oil I use for topping off during my OCI but that always leaves a little left over. My mower oil.

Rotella comes in 2.5 gal jugs, that would work perfect for you.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I prefer quarts, but the price of the 5 qt. jug is tough to beat.

Does Costco still do the in store six packs … let my membership end about 3 years back … those were handy but we were not buying much else so the annual fee was not worth it (and 50 miles away)

I can't say, I never bothered joining.

Originally Posted By: Audios
Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson

Rotella comes in 2.5 gal jugs, that would work perfect for you.

Yes and Rotella is what I use but you try pouring a 2.5 gallon Jug!

I buy all the 5qt oil jugs at walmart, then use the specials with filter included from Advance Auto to get the single quarts for a similar price. Speedperks help there a bit as well. Amsoil sells gallons and quarts for most of their oils, and with much better shipping prices these days, so I have recently started ordering more from them for several vehicles.

For the 4 and a half qt engine the whole 5 qts go in. 6 qt engines one 5 qt jug and a 1 qt. For the Diesel 15 qt engine either 4 gallons go in or 15 qts and the left over qt goes in Lawn mower. The diesel 8 qt engine gets 2 gallon jugs

Originally Posted By: bmwtechguy
I buy all the 5qt oil jugs at walmart, then use the specials with filter included from Advance Auto to get the single quarts for a similar price. Speedperks help there a bit as well. Amsoil sells gallons and quarts for most of their oils, and with much better shipping prices these days, so I have recently started ordering more from them for several vehicles.

Good one … they are 50 miles away but will watch for sales … maybe hit Specs and Academy
wink.gif

5 qt applications seem pretty common, so this may be the optimal PCMO jug size.
You'd see exactly the opposite problem with gallon jugs in many cases for many users.
The real problem is the ridiculous premium for quart packaging sizes.
If the difference were small, one could easily use quarts but the premium is typically absurdly high.
RK prices their house brand quarts only a bit above what the same volume of oil would cost by the jug, which seems reasonable, but the name brand stuff at the big box retailers and parts stores always comes at a much higher cost per unit volume in quarts than in jugs.

No doubt about it … guess it’s not just the cost to make and fill the quarts … boxing and shipping them must be a noticeable delta too …

I recently bought Mercon LV in a 12 pack … but never run across motor oil that way …

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back