Lithgow F90 - production about to ramp up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back when I used to shoot on the Lithgow range (here in town), we were denied access occasionally as they had "customer awareness" days with their secret development.

Fed Govt has announced a loan package to build OZ's defence export industry, and production of the F90 is about to ramp right up.

I like it!
smile.gif

Steyr licensee?

Bipod mount looks a bit busy, but maybe it can host other stuff like grenade launcher or target designator.

Originally Posted By: Ducked
Steyr licensee?

Yep, when Oz went to the AUG, they made them here in town as the Austeyr...they've gone way past that now with re-engineering it.

Yes, they have grenade launchers...after their play days, we used to find the empties all over the range.

While it may be made there, you're not going to be able to buy one, are you, Shannow?

Originally Posted By: Astro14
While it may be made there, you're not going to be able to buy one, are you, Shannow?

No, and none of the guys who make them will ever own one either....hope you guys enjoy your chance at the civilian version.

I think I'd only get one for the sake of owning something resembling a Steyr Aug.

There's an entire category of what I call "80s guns" that I'd like to get my hands on, but in a lot of cases there are more modern guns that are more accurate or comfortable to shoot.

But it's cool that there seems to be a push by the industry to produce reasonably priced clones of MP5s, Augs, etc.

https://ssaagunsales.com/listing/10433

I've handled one of these...wish I had $8k to spend on a toy.

Story behind those was that Australian rifle competition was based on the SMLE and surplus ammo, a bit of a Civilian Marksmanship programme (Got Grandad's trophies from his sniper training as a reserve, and queens medal)...when the SMLE (the reason that they built the Lithgow Factory) was replaced with the L1A1, and surplus became 7.62, they were trying to work out what to use as the standard rifle for it.

Single shot L1A1 was being looked at, but they ended up at Omark bolt actions, and later a free for all with any rifle and standard bullet as Sierra Palma....one of the best guys at the range has a smoking machine that he runs ADI 2206 powder (3031 range of powder), while the rest run AR2208 (sold in the states as Varget)

Surprised they didn't "just" re-chamber for the 7.62 round. Maybe they wanted to maintain the maximum legal commonality with the service issue weapon. Friend of my brothers had a Lee-enfield so chambered, which I fired a couple of times. Apparently less kick than the original .303 but I never fired one of those.

in the TA they had Brens re-chambered for 7.62, with "1944" engraved/stamped on the reciever but scored out Not trivial to do in steel and I still don't really understand why they bothered.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Reddy45
I think I'd only get one for the sake of owning something resembling a Steyr Aug.

There's an entire category of what I call "80s guns" that I'd like to get my hands on, but in a lot of cases there are more modern guns that are more accurate or comfortable to shoot.

But it's cool that there seems to be a push by the industry to produce reasonably priced clones of MP5s, Augs, etc.

You can now buy new AUGs made by Steyr (in the US), new Galils made by IWI, and HK products made by a licensed Turkish factory (MKE).

It’s the best time to buy guns since the Bush gun import ban.

BSW

Originally Posted By: bigj_16
Originally Posted By: Shannow
Dunno if any of you are history buffs, but here's a summary of the town through time
http://www.asha.org.au/pdf/australasian_historical_archaeology/07_04_Cremin.pdf

Thanks for the specific link, and the website, also. I actually am currently a history major.

Article prompted me to try to find old photos of the Vale Colliery, which would have been across the way from my place.

Found some good ones, and the described tents.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4662450/Re:_New_view...#Post4662450

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back