Castrol Edge 0W30

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is something new for the country I live in.
Is this an equivalent to GC 0W30?

4_F119030-62_D4-448_C-98_EC-02940_A835501.jpg

D9_F945_EC-_A90_A-4_B3_A-_A1_D5-70_B994777_F5_F.jpg

Last edited:
All of the German Castrol 0W30 that I am aware of(it's been a while), were in Black Bottles and on the back label it stated Made in Germany. However, this Castrol EDGE you are showing is probably as good or better.

Originally Posted By: BIMMA

4_F119030-62_D4-448_C-98_EC-02940_A835501.jpg

D9_F945_EC-_A90_A-4_B3_A-_A1_D5-70_B994777_F5_F.jpg

It is ACEA C3. It is made for diesel engines.
Where did you see it? USA?

Europe.

It says petrol or diesel

Should be German then ......
C3 is not'exclusive' for diesel engines, C3 is for gasoline engines as well.

C3 is mid SAPS. If used with US fuel, it's best to keep the OCI's short. Since it's vw502 approved, perhaps it's good for 10k outside the US? Not sure.

Seems to resemble Pennzoil Euro AV. If your engine doesn't require C3, I personally wouldn't go out of my way for it, but it's certainly a serviceable oil.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
C3 is mid SAPS. If used with US fuel, it's best to keep the OCI's short.

All USA gasoline is now ultra low sulphur.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
C3 is mid SAPS. If used with US fuel, it's best to keep the OCI's short.

All USA gasoline is now ultra low sulphur.

Would it be good for extended fills then?

While all US gasoline is now ultra-low sulfur, it's a 10 ppmw average rather than per gallon limit. It can be up to 80 ppmw S at the refinery gate, and a little above that at the terminal & retail station to allow for minor cross-contamination in transit. Overcontrol generates bankable & tradeable gasoline sulfur credits.

Don't bank on every gasoline purchase at the pump being 10ppmw S or less.

Not exactly. If you look at the fine print on the back of the bottle it says BMW LL-04 and it does not say BMW LL-01.

BMW LL-04 is oil suitable for BMW diesel engines and which may be used in BMW spark engines in Europe. BMW LL-01 is oil suitable for BMW spark (ie gasoline) engines in North America. And GC 0W-30 is a BMW LL-01 oil.

I expect this is a very good oil, but I won't be putting it in my gasser BMW, which has had a steady diet of GC 0W-30.

Originally Posted By: Nyogtha
While all US gasoline is now ultra-low sulfur, it's a 10 ppmw average rather than per gallon limit. It can be up to 80 ppmw S at the refinery gate, and a little above that at the terminal & retail station to allow for minor cross-contamination in transit. Overcontrol generates bankable & tradeable gasoline sulfur credits.

Don't bank on every gasoline purchase at the pump being 10ppmw S or less.

I'm glad you mentioned this.

However, if the average is 10ppm, over a year, unless I'm really unlucky, shouldn't the gas I consume have averaged 10ppm?

Also, if some gas can be 80ppm, then doesn't that mean, for example, that for each unit of gas at 80ppm, there will need to be 14 units at 5ppm in order to average 10ppm?

Not necessarily. Say your area is primarily supplied by a small refinery that found it couldn't be competitive installing & operating the equipment to reduce its gasoline sulfur to near 10 ppm, but found it could remain competitive by purchasing sulfur credits from someone who overcontrols, or is part of a company whose larger refineries overcontrol and transfer credits generated to that smaller refinery.

The 10 ppmw S in gasoline is a nationwide average in the USA, not per facility nor per gallon.

Yes your math for averaging appears correct. This is an example of overcontrol at one place to generate credit for another place or period of equipment maintenance. Economy of scale makes for a strategy of overcontrol at larger facilities for most producers. There's also a small refiner's exemption to keep the big players from squeezing out the small ones (to a degree). Check out the USEPA web site on gasoline sulfur for full details -including some mind-numbing bureaucratease. I've only hit the highlights in my posts.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ecotourist
Not exactly. If you look at the fine print on the back of the bottle it says BMW LL-04 and it does not say BMW LL-01.

BMW LL-04 is oil suitable for BMW diesel engines and which may be used in BMW spark engines in Europe. BMW LL-01 is oil suitable for BMW spark (ie gasoline) engines in North America. And GC 0W-30 is a BMW LL-01 oil.

I expect this is a very good oil, but I won't be putting it in my gasser BMW, which has had a steady diet of GC 0W-30.

^^This

--Scott

Originally Posted By: CharlieBauer
I'm glad you mentioned this.

However, if the average is 10ppm, over a year, unless I'm really unlucky, shouldn't the gas I consume have averaged 10ppm?

Since you're in Cali, you have nothing to worry about. CA has had 10 ppm gasoline for a number of years now. It's the other states that are trying to catch up, and the 10 ppm average is nationwide, not per individual pump or gas station, as others pointed out.

Castrol actually recommends their C3 and SN 5w-30 as an option for my G37, since it only calls for SM or newer, not SM/GF-4 or newer. Of course, the OEM OCIs are only 3750 miles on severe service, so a C3 wouldn't be a concern in the least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back