Garage picture with two of my Copart rides

Status
Not open for further replies.

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
Below is a picture of two of my Copart purchased rides. The silver one is my daily driver, a 2006 S430 4matic. A very enjoyable sedan that does well on the old Appalachian trail roads I commute on daily, that can be covered with a lot of water that runs down from the mature mountains, and then settles and turns to ice.

The black S-class is a 2005 S500 with AMG exterior package, and many nice options. It was a Houston hurricane flood vehicle. Research prior to purchase showed it spent its entire registered life in the Texas, Mississippi area, and upon pickup in TX, the body had undercarriage had zero corrosion.

Last edited:
What part of PA do you live in? I live near the Southern end of the Appalachian Trail myself. There's a Copart lot near me (Chambersburg, PA) that always has a bunch of cars.

Originally Posted By: Delta
What part of PA do you live in? I live near the Southern end of the Appalachian Trail myself. There's a Copart lot near me (Chambersburg, PA) that always has a bunch of cars.

I live in Pillow, PA. I live outside of the town boarders, town has a population of about 225 and declining. There are three businesses left, (1) a bank with no ATM, (2) a funeral home which I have not seen a service in past two years, (3) post office which is open from 12-4 daily. The town does not offer mail delivery, everyone has to pick up their mail at the post office.

In our area (valley they call it), I believe eight people died between 1 JAN 2018 and 21 JAN 2018 in vehicle accidents. The roads are old, many of them former horse and buggy trails. We moved to Pillow from Arizona, and the mountain roads in AZ are so much safer and better designed. These old trails and now roads may not have been designed to carry cars and trucks speeding along.

An interesting note in PA- police are not allowed to user radar for speed control. Many towns like ours have lost the police department due to budget, so only the overtaxed state police are covering. This may promote excessive speeding on a standard bases, on these old roads with twists and turns and grade changes.

I have bought one car from Chambersburg, a 2006 S430, was registered in West Virginia, showed 33k miles on Carfax, ended up having 62k miles. It had unibody damage, so it is sitting in my drive, will be gone to the scrap yard later this spring.

I also purchased two cars from the Copart in York Haven.....

Last edited:
Wow, to think my town was small. Although if we didn't have a major manufactuer in town (JLG and Jerr-Dan) it would most likely be a ghost town. Our town is also under State Police control, but they are everywhere doing speed enforcement. My part of the mountain (Tuscarora and Sideling Hill, US-30) are well maintained and easily passable. Only problem right now is the increasing tolls on the PA Turnpike more and more semi's are using the route and have no clue how to drive on the steep mountain road. Getting to the point you can't even enjoy the drive, unless you like driving it at 10mph. They will not pull over at designated spots and hold up traffic for miles. DOT has been on one spot of the mountain, but not the part I travel frequent.

Where???? I live there and never seen it...

Originally Posted By: JeepWJ19

Going West outside of Chambersburg almost in St. Thomas on 30. The LKQ right beside it burned up a while back, but its been re-built.

Going West outside of Chambersburg almost in St. Thomas on 30. The LKQ right beside it burned up a while back, but its been re-built.

Ohhhh okay that's why. I'm never out there in that area. I'm in the Fayetteville area. I was at LKQ last year to get a double cardan driveshaft.

Small world

Last edited:
PA State Police most certainly are allowed to use radar for speed enforcement. Local forces currently are not, although many of them are petitioning for this to change and it likely will.

Originally Posted By: GON

I live in Pillow, PA. I live outside of the town boarders, town has a population of about 225 and declining. There are three businesses left, (1) a bank with no ATM, (2) a funeral home which I have not seen a service in past two years, (3) post office which is open from 12-4 daily. The town does not offer mail delivery, everyone has to pick up their mail at the post office.

In our area (valley they call it), I believe eight people died between 1 JAN 2018 and 21 JAN 2018 in vehicle accidents. The roads are old, many of them former horse and buggy trails. We moved to Pillow from Arizona, and the mountain roads in AZ are so much safer and better designed. These old trails and now roads may not have been designed to carry cars and trucks speeding along.

An interesting note in PA- police are not allowed to user radar for speed control. Many towns like ours have lost the police department due to budget, so only the overtaxed state police are covering. This may promote excessive speeding on a standard bases, on these old roads with twists and turns and grade changes.

I have bought one car from Chambersburg, a 2006 S430, was registered in West Virginia, showed 33k miles on Carfax, ended up having 62k miles. It had unibody damage, so it is sitting in my drive, will be gone to the scrap yard later this spring.

I also purchased two cars from the Copart in York Haven.....

Isnt that in the Harrisburg general area? Somewhat surprised to head that things are so bad... Things can get much more rural than that...

Originally Posted By: dlayman
PA State Police most certainly are allowed to use radar for speed enforcement. Local forces currently are not, although many of them are petitioning for this to change and it likely will.

Yes, I thought that was what I was saying, but did a very poor job of putting it into words. Thanks for clarifying.

Police (municipal) in PA have been lobbying to allow radars for years, looks really close to getting approved.

Isnt that in the Harrisburg general area? Somewhat surprised to head that things are so bad... Things can get much more rural than that... [/quote]

Where we live there is not broadcast TV. I speculate (speculate only), the adult employment participation rate is around 30-40 percent.

Very good people here. This summer I will be transferred to Salt Lake City and will miss the very fine people of PA.

Interesting Mercedes. If you know how to repair it yourself, it would make a fun car.

I believe these are around $100k new.

How much do you have into the car total between purchase, transport, and repairing yourself?

I know Harrisburg well. Not much going on there, but truck stops, and the Carlisle auto shows.

Police were known to patrol the area around the show, and give tons of tickets for anything.

As a young man, I got an exhibition of speed ticket for lightly squeaking the tires on a highway. Local police shaked me down, and made me pay the fine in CASH on the spot, or they said they would impound my vehicle.

Thinking back on that, there was something definitely crooked going on there.

I never went to another show after that.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
Interesting Mercedes. If you know how to repair it yourself, it would make a fun car.

I believe these are around $100k new.

A 2006 S500 is about 7-9k used on my local Craigslist. 2006 was the last year for that particular model, 2007 was the first year for the S550 and those are much more. Ever new body style/refresh tends to jump up a bit so there's a little more of a jump for a 2010 and then a big jump for the 2014.

"I believe these are around $100k new."

I have the window sticker on the 2005 S500 Black w/AMG package. I target one or two owner dealer maintained Mercedes, so sometimes the glove box has never been touched since it left the new car dealer, and I find pristine manuals, and in this case, the factory window sticker. It had a sticker price of $94,190.00

Last edited:
"How much do you have into the car total between purchase, transport, and repairing yourself?"

Each one is different, and I have two spare W220s (S-class 2000-2006 Mercedes), so I can't pinpoint exact cost. I do know that it can cost a pretty penny just to get them home. On the Houston flood S500, it was over 3,000 miles round trip, plus fuel, tolls, and food. I sleep in the truck when I do a run like that.

I would estimate none of the S-class Mercedes have cost over $3,000 total, to have in great running condition. I do it for the fun....

"Police were known to patrol the area around the show, and give tons of tickets for anything.

As a young man, I got an exhibition of speed ticket for lightly squeaking the tires on a highway. Local police shaked me down, and made me pay the fine in CASH on the spot, or they said they would impound my vehicle."

Writing tickets are a revenue generator for the townships, I think they get a net of 50% of the ticket less costs. More funny is that the judges that see the traffic tickets are elected, and do not need any legal background to be elected a Magisterial District Judge. These judges want to be re-elected, so makes a unique environment.

A two police town about 45 miles north of me made the news as they were writing tickets, and if you made a donation to the city park fund (on the spot), they would cancel the ticket. The Che if of Police was later charged with crimes related to the Park fund, and the township eliminated the police force.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GON
dlayman said:
Police (municipal) in PA have been lobbying to allow radars for years, looks really close to getting approved.

I sure hope not - we don't need every Cletus in these small towns around here running RADAR. VASCAR and the non-RADAR timings are fine enough.

Delta: I went to St Thomas Elementary and lived in Edenville. Beautiful area. I still have dreams about it. Charmed place. Charmed time.

Originally Posted By: DweezilAZ
Delta: I went to St Thomas Elementary and lived in Edenville. Beautiful area. I still have dreams about it. Charmed place. Charmed time.

Hah, talk about small world! I moved away from the area in 2006, but couldn't take it and moved back in 2015. St. Thomas is still just abour the same, there is a brand new Rutters at the corner of 30 and Hade Rd. Nice to stop in there on my way from my house in Mcconnellsburg to Chambersburg.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back